Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

How do I tighten up my Steering?

Old 03-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Canadiansailor
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How do I tighten up my Steering?

'64 F250 and right now I gotta swing the wheel about 15 to 20 degrees just to try and keep her straight, I think, the way the steering feels, this is not an alignment issue but an issue with how tight the steering is. Never fiddled with it before so that why I am asking. I also posted this in the 1961 - 1966 forum. I always knew that the stupidest questions are those that are never asked, and anything to do with something someone just finished tell you the answer for.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
What kind of gear box?...Perhaps the worm gear screw needs some turning.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Canadiansailor
Junior User
Not sure, just got this in the other forum so I'm going to go have a look at it this weekend:

"There is a nut on the top side of your steering box that has a slotted screw in the center. Loosen the nut while holding the slotted screw with a screwdriver and turn the center screw in about 1/8 turn at a time. This will take up the slack in the gearbox. Be carefull that you do not overtighten it or the box will bind. Also, you need to leave a slight amount of play in the wheel or else the vehicle will road walk. Just make minor adjustments at a time. Your gearbox is worn, thus the slack. Another thing to check is the rag joint between the steering shaft and gearbox. Those things break and will give you alot of slack in the wheel. All of this is assuming that you have a tight front end with no worn components."

Old 03-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
If you do have a worm gear and an adjustment screw, that is what you need to do....There are other things that could cause the issue, but that would be my first check.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:23 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
From out of the region...here's Mike!

Get both wheels off the ground before you adjust the box, tighten it up until you feel a slight drag when turning the srteernig wheel side to side...once you feel the "drag", back if off a scooch.

That's about the best you can get it if you only have the top nut...if you have the big bottom nut on the box (which I don't think you do from the earlier reply) I can assist further.

Reason you back off a scooch after drag...with no load, is so you don't bind and gall the sector shaft, as mentioned before, you will have a bit of play in it, but what do you expect after 40 years of use?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
DON'T adjust it until you check the tie rod, drag link, and kingpins for looseness, as well as check the isolator between the column and box. If you just crank down on that adjustment, it will damage the box.

Also try the 61-66 forum, they have more knowledge there than I do.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
You're not out of region...You are just from the other great FTE Chapter!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Canadiansailor
Junior User
I got a bit of a debate going in the 61 - 66 chapter. The concensus is that I should have it rebuilt (planned) rather than adjusted (right price right now). So I think that I will worry about getting the steering so I can drive it comfortably for the three odd miles to and from work. On another topic, does anyone here know anything about the Whidbey Cruisers?

Old 03-05-2008, 11:03 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let the air out of your tires, That'll make it harder to change your steering?

Old 03-06-2008, 02:41 AM
Canadiansailor
Junior User
Well I finally had a chance to crawl under her and have a look, and I will now confess that I have NO FREAKIN' IDEA ABOUT WHAT I'M DOIN' UNDER THERE!!!! So I'll send some pictures as soon as I can get a camera and someone with more brains than me can give me a bit of a better idea as to what I'm looking for. Sometime "new" vehicles are more difficult than ones we're used too I guess

Search this Thread