Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Need a little support here boys

Old 02-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Blackstock
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a little support here boys

Have you seen Ford Canada's new "social" website www.fordpoweredbyyou.ca ? You'll need to get a user ID but I could use a little support for my reply to "Why do the North American Versions Suck So bad" I could't help but lay a few facts out, could use your support :O) http://www.fordpby.ca/?q=node/202#comment-106

Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
I don't know if this is what you were looking for but....

I'm there and have spoken my piece for what ever good it will do.

Rick.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:25 AM
spin498
Senior User
Jim,

You provided an interesting read. I think I was aware of the things you wrote about but I'd forgotten most. I won't touch anything 'Asian' as I've always known they treat their workers on both sides of the pond poorly, so I won't support them with my money. But I do confess I prefer European cars and have owned VW's for most of my adult life. That include's Ford's European designs sorry. I have to agree with those poster's who think that some of the North American designs could use a bit of Euro spice.

That said, I'm also aware of the legislated restraints our auto manufacturers have to labour under regarding safety and emissions that some of the critics are either blissfully ignorant of or don't understand the impact it has on design.

People here in North America have to wake up to the fact that if we keep importing and buying Chinese and Indian products we're going to undermine our own economy and pretty soon we won't have the money to buy home made stuff and our companies here with go under. It's a vicious downward spiral. Jeez, I'm starting to sound like one of those masked protesters who storm all the G8 summits.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Blackstock
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by spin498
Jim,

You provided an interesting read. I think I was aware of the things you wrote about but I'd forgotten most. I won't touch anything 'Asian' as I've always known they treat their workers on both sides of the pond poorly, so I won't support them with my money. But I do confess I prefer European cars and have owned VW's for most of my adult life. That include's Ford's European designs sorry. I have to agree with those poster's who think that some of the North American designs could use a bit of Euro spice.

That said, I'm also aware of the legislated restraints our auto manufacturers have to labour under regarding safety and emissions that some of the critics are either blissfully ignorant of or don't understand the impact it has on design.

People here in North America have to wake up to the fact that if we keep importing and buying Chinese and Indian products we're going to undermine our own economy and pretty soon we won't have the money to buy home made stuff and our companies here with go under. It's a vicious downward spiral. Jeez, I'm starting to sound like one of those masked protesters who storm all the G8 summits.
I couldnt agree more. We will see those European Fords here soon, very soon. We just need to get our cost structure down so that we dont have to rely on the profitable pickups to subsidize our small cars.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It was a good read but you only touched upon the regulatory differences. You simply cannot sell a European car in North America with out significant redesign. The applicable laws for emmissions and safety are quite different. Different costs money.

It still drives me nuts that cars are made that are essentially illegal to take out of first gear in North America! I love the cars but we need our own Autobahn!!

Frank

Old 03-03-2008, 01:43 PM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Forget European, we need to get some of the Aussie Fords and Holdens here!

Old 03-03-2008, 02:36 PM
spin498
Senior User
Originally Posted by loudfords
Forget European, we need to get some of the Aussie Fords and Holdens here!
The Holden was here, they called it the Pontiac GTO. Have no idea if they still sell it as I'm not a Pontiac fan. But it's still the same emissions and safety issues, for Aussie brands too.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:38 PM
spin498
Senior User
Guess I should have checked first. No more GTO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_GTO

Old 03-04-2008, 11:18 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Maybe they should just teach people how to drive without being stupid and getting into accidents.