Notices

Bulldog Remote Starter Blog....You Decide......

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 AM
snowbrdjnky
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BULLDOG Remote start issue

I am not sure where to post my problem so i thought i would try here. I just installed the Bulldog remote start last week on my wifes 01 expedition edddie bauer 4x4. After installation i noticed the parking lights dont flash under BD control. After some research i found i need a seperate relay due to my Park light circuit is more than 10amp. With this not installed the starter starts truck just fine and all seems well, however after entering truck and turning key to run position after about a min of driving speedometer goes from a 40mph difference back and forth between current speed and 40mph slower than what your traveling, NOT affecting actual speed. Also at the same time my 4x4 and 4 low lights flash on dash and if you are using cruise control it turns off. This repeats about every min while driving. I did notice if i turn car off and start manualy the problem doesnt happin. IM lost and BD is slow to reply. Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Old 09-29-2012, 10:27 PM
matty33
New User
Re: bulldog starter issues

Make sure all your wire connections are hardwired if your not using a T harness. You don't have to use all the wires from the unit.They use to sell the relays seperate.Sounds like the remote starter circut may still be engaged when you turn the ingition to run position.Could be why it may be affecting the seedometer , ect. Can you activate (pit stop ) on the remote and then turn off the ignition should then stay running off the remote starter. There also might be a problem in the remote starter circut.I had a problem with the first one I installed.Just never worked period.Call the techs and they told me to send it back for repair.When I got it back it did work but every once in awhile it would act up and not start right away.Bulldog had sent me a replacement unit.I did purchase another for my Ranger and it has worked good going on 5yrs.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:02 AM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
I've got one on my '05 Expedition. It's great! I've used it as a starting point for wiring mods and now have mine specially built by me to act exactly as the new Chevys do. It's really nice. Mine is wired (unlike normal) were it will not active the headlights until I turn the key to run. The brake lights are wired now to not come on until you put the KEY in the run position (to prevent the vehicle from running like it should if it should get stolen). It's got the trunk button to work the highbeams and worklamps that are wired into that also so that I may use the button to light up around the vehicle for me. I did have issues how ever(my fault though) with the domelight operation. I tapped the domelights into the positive current wires in the VCM. They don't work because my diode assembly was not strong enough to support the dome lamps. I have the back up lamps also tied into the dome lamps(only when you use the remote). It is also setup to shut off when you turn it to run with the key. I am going to change that however to shut off by the brake shift solenoid. And also add to the work light feature to run only the puddle/approach lamps out of the factory dome lamp configuration. I have upgraded headlamp/fog/high beam bulbs, upgraded puddle lamp bulbs. And a re-wired headlamps configuration were the low beams will only work if the key is in and turned to acc or run, the lights shut off the low beams while starting if in manual mode but leave the parking lamps on while starting. And if in auto mode will shut off all lights while starting. Also it run only the dash lights when the key is in acc and the **** is on auto.

I made this car very smart and I loooooooovvvvveee the way my remote starter works. I frequently rent surburbans with my company and they are of the newest technology and nice features and all. Company even pays gas for my free rides! But I still choose to drive my expedition over them because it does so many things the new cars don't. No Complaints! Great System! Recommend it to anyone.!

Old 11-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
And one more thing. I will be editing the wiring a final time and probably end up putting a solenoid in so the the low beams only(reguardless if the high beams are engaged or not) to come on with the approach lighting. Also the finish it off.. The hardest part.. Figuring out how to make the approach lighting activate and work as exit lighting. I had the low beam part wired up for a little bit but of course the diode assembly was too weak and burned up..