1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

4.6 in 54 F100

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 04:52 PM
addicted56
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy SMOKES!!!

That is great information thank you. I do know someone who has a good scan tool. I will get it checked out this weekend. The sensor should be good still. I drove the car before I took it out and it did fine. Possibly the connection is not good or that ground is the problem. I have yet to inspect it well. I will have to take some pictures as well.

Thank you and hopefully I have this figured out soon. I'm ready to drive this thing around.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 AM
addicted56
Junior User
Well been awhile. I just had some plugs reversed on the transmission. Easy fix.

Thing runs great. The 4.6L is a great fit for these trucks. I have some PI heads going on down the road. Traction is the biggest problem right now. 4 link and some airbags going in as well. Still working on some gauge issues but just haven't had the time. I think Speedo is going to be the biggest issue. Darn good mileage. Don't know what I'm getting but I'm guessing around 25MPG and that is with me stomping on it constantly. Beats the 10MPG I would be getting if I stuck that 460 in instead.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Have any pics

Old 09-22-2009, 11:36 AM
addicted56
Junior User
It still doesn't look all that great but I've got some. I still don't have a bed. Don't have the right wheels on the front..and small electrical and body work things left yet.

I will post some up when I get home. I chopped the frame and used the front end off of the 1996 Crown vic. Saved a lot of custom fabrication. Doesn't looked the greatest but works for now.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:29 PM
F1CORY
Junior User
I'm doing the same setup in my 55 f100..Just now got the motor mounts in "had some problems with the steering"..Gonna work on the airride soon..Good luck

Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
havi and you guy's asking about mileage . i can tell you what my two ton turd bird does . it's the 95 i got not too long ago , 4.6 2 valve , and despite everyone saying they're no good this is the second one and they run like he-- ! it's if the owners actually keep up maintenance i'd say . well anyway it has a 3.08 rear gear . a track lock { weird i thought as all the numbers say none came with one in that ratio } , and a myriad of issues like partially plugged converters , a bad maf , and a bad tps . it got 28.7 with all that , average on a trip i took ,in it , and despite all the issues , crap gearing , and weighing as much as it did it'll run 15 in the 1/4 mile . it does have a module that someone has put in it but that's it . i have been considering the swap into an effie myself . if i didn't love the flatty so much well .... i do know that it now has an issue with egr being plugged up and i need to clean it . very common on 'em i'm told . you can reprogram the ecu to go without many of the pollution geegaws like the egr and run great so ........ if any of you are , and havi i know your doing it to that later truck , keep the info coming . i need it to feed my brain for assorted misadventures i got brewing in my skull..........

Old 09-22-2009, 07:04 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
p.s yeah the parts are pricey , but so's a y block , my flatty ain't cheap , and god only know's how much i'll have to sink into one of my fe's to do what you can do with a 4.6 of any configuration , with some simple bolt on's and a little tuning . i'm not going " new " but i'm not blind either . anyone who claims they aren't any good should go back to wrenching on their obsolete chevy small block or it's newer version , which is a big pos { watched a few of 'em get scattered recently when pushed hard } and leave the real motor's to us . from flatty to mod i can't say as i've ever owned a bad ford engine , now the other brand .... well .........p.s johnny l thanx for leading me to that bird site !! lot's of info !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 PM
addicted56
Junior User
Well I thought I could just attach the pictures straight to the thread. I don't have any of those picture accounts so that is something I will have to work on.

I agree I like the engine. I'm sure it has plenty of problems but so does every engine. I don't even really remember how many miles were on the car. I know the transmission had zero on it though. My gearing is not right and it shifts a bit funny (loves to down shift and unlock the torque converter when I flutter the pedal) but other wise I love the thing. The kickdown works great. I can't wait to get the PI heads on it and some headers. I don't have a bed now but I can be doing 55 on the highway stomp on it and it will down shift and burn the tires until it kicks into overdrive again.

The 4.6L came from my Derby car so I consider it a free engine tranny. I tried to keep this a budget build but I had to outsource a lot of the work due to deployments and the fact that I had just never chopped a frame and welded another one on an entire car. I got to put in a lot of hours though with professional help and it was a great experience.

Only a few more thousand bucks and a hundred zillion hours and it will be almost where I want it. That is until I change my mind about something else. I definietly reccomend the 4.6L. I think the aftermarket parts will come down in price in a few years and the engine tranny combos are darn near free. When fuel is $5 a gallon again I will be able to afford to drive it. It actually gets better fuel mileage than my daily driver.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:00 AM
addicted56
Junior User
Whew, it has been awhile since I have been on here. I'm sure if I dig around there are plenty more 4.6L swaps on here considering it has been two years. Hopefully this thread helped others out and inspired them to put one in. Since my last post I had a quick deployment and upon arrival moved immediately to Ft. Rucker Alabama where I just finished up flight school for the UH-60 and a career course.

The whole time my 1956 F100 has been waiting for me in NC. I had plenty of other projects while I was down here. But my 56 will be back with me on Thursday next week. Nothing has been done to it since except started every few months and driven around town. I did manage to purchase a bed kit though and as soon as I do the body work on the cab I will be spraying both. Until then it is going to be my daily driver until I get my other daily driver working. Probably plenty of problems to work thru still and hopefully others have come up with fixes (like getting gauges to work).

Hope others 4.6L builds are going well.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:14 AM
addicted56
Junior User
addicted56's Channel - YouTube

Thought I would post this. It is a bit old but you get the point. The engine bay isn't to pretty but it will get dressed up some day.

Anyone read that article in Hot Rod magazine about 6 months ago where they turbo'd a 4.6L. Pretty awesome and I can only aspire.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...8/viewall.html

Old 10-08-2011, 09:09 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by addicted56
addicted56's Channel - YouTube

Thought I would post this. It is a bit old but you get the point. The engine bay isn't to pretty but it will get dressed up some day.

Anyone read that article in Hot Rod magazine about 6 months ago where they turbo'd a 4.6L. Pretty awesome and I can only aspire.

592HP 4.6L 2V Motor For $2,298 - Hot Rod Magazine
I watched your video and read the turbo article. Go for the turbo! OK, I gotta ask, why 50 weight oil(it says that on the air intake)?

Old 10-08-2011, 09:20 PM
addicted56
Junior User
I actually have no idea why it says that it needs 50W oil. It was on there when I picked it up from the transmission shop that I got it from. I just put some cheapo oil in it when we did the Demo derby and haven't changed it since (only a couple hundred miles on it). It doesn't seem to burn any oil or smoke so I'm not worried.

Yep the turbo would be fun. If I wasn't wasting so much money trying to get my POS V10 TDI Touareg together I would be wasting money on this instead. Hopefully I will have that running again so otherwise it will be time to invest in some A/C for the 56.

Looking forward to reading about other 4.6L builds. I noticed that a company is now making a wiring kit. Not necessary but definitely nice if you have the extra cash to spend and want to save a bit of time and want a clean setup.

I was hoping waleska GA was close by but looks like not even close. Hopefully I can find some other old FTE's in the area to help keep me motivated and give me some ideas on the direction I need to go to finish this thing up.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:04 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by addicted56
I actually have no idea why it says that it needs 50W oil. It was on there when I picked it up from the transmission shop that I got it from. I just put some cheapo oil in it when we did the Demo derby and haven't changed it since (only a couple hundred miles on it). It doesn't seem to burn any oil or smoke so I'm not worried.

Yep the turbo would be fun. If I wasn't wasting so much money trying to get my POS V10 TDI Touareg together I would be wasting money on this instead. Hopefully I will have that running again so otherwise it will be time to invest in some A/C for the 56.

Looking forward to reading about other 4.6L builds. I noticed that a company is now making a wiring kit. Not necessary but definitely nice if you have the extra cash to spend and want to save a bit of time and want a clean setup.

I was hoping waleska GA was close by but looks like not even close. Hopefully I can find some other old FTE's in the area to help keep me motivated and give me some ideas on the direction I need to go to finish this thing up.
I was hoping you weren't running 50 weight. I just didn't want to tell you what to do. I'm thinking supercharger on my 53 (later on). I'm hoping to take mine for its first spin this week-end(better get out to the garage!). I've been at it for over 2 years now. I just tell the wife it's like any other long journey-every step gets you closer to your destination and even when it seems like you're not making any progress, just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I was in Savanna 2 weeks ago. Paula's restaurant is way over-rated.