Another Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Bird Dog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another Synthetic Oil

Anybody ever try any of these?

One of my co-workers races cars and swears by these products. He told me to give it a try. I'm very happy with Scheaffer 9000, but I guess I could change again it this stuff is actually better.

"Only one unique oil in the world actually brings engine friction nearly to zero. That truly high performance oil comes from a small company in Santa Fe Springs, California called Torco International."

http://www.torcoracingoils.com/techn...Syn_Diesel.pdf

http://www.torcoracingoils.com/techn...per_Diesel.pdf

Old 02-22-2008, 09:43 PM
9299Fords
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'd want to see a full oil analysis. Compare it to Amsoil which does have a full analysis on file.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Ya, cause we can totally believe what Amsoil says

As we all recognize the beginning of another endless oil thread.....

To the OP, give it a shot if it meets rating requirments. Run it, get a UOA if you believe in them. It's hard to answer a question about oil. If you and your truck like it. That's all that matters.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Bird Dog
Senior User
Orezona Ya, cause we can totally believe what Amsoil says

I hope not!!!

I was just wondering if anyone had tried this product. Just looking for some feedback.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:38 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
I know they also make racing gas.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:12 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I'd like to see some tech data sheets first. They say their synthetic is a 100% synthetic, but of what type? There are different types of synthetics, and they do perform quite differently. Their dino oil says it's hydrocracked...but I've seen some pretty crappy oil that's hydrocracked. What about standard test results, like shear test and foam tests? I'm not saying it's not a good oil, but I'd just like to see some info backing it.

My thought is if it's really that great, they'd be willing to tell you what's good about it. For instance, the Schaeffer's you mentioned makes TD sheets readily available. Here's a link to all of the Schaeffer's TD and MSDS sheets for all their products: http://www.schaefferoil.com/msds.html Link directly to the TD sheet for their 9000 5W-40 (note the abundance of different test's at the end of the sheet): http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/9000.pdf

Old 02-23-2008, 06:52 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bird Dog
Orezona Ya, cause we can totally believe what Amsoil says

I hope not!!!

I was just wondering if anyone had tried this product. Just looking for some feedback.
I know, I was just messing with you .

Old 02-23-2008, 08:11 AM
2cylguy
Senior User

What gets me is what it says in the first sentence. They cant be too small an oil company if they are sponoring a couple of NHRA race cars.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:25 AM
piotrsko
Elder User
My $.02 for what it is worth:

when I was at Huge aircrash Spaced and Comm, we used torco products on they spacey stuff we built.

IF they still have MIL-L- style lubes, then that stuff is OK, but then again I'm still a change often Dino freak because nobody has changed my opinion about fancy expensive long duration oil.

one $15,000 cam change on your airplane engine tends to make you a believer in tradition.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:54 PM
9299Fords
Senior User
Originally Posted by Orezona
Ya, cause we can totally believe what Amsoil says

To the OP, give it a shot if it meets rating requirments. Run it, get a UOA if you believe in them. It's hard to answer a question about oil. If you and your truck like it. That's all that matters.
Don't get your titty in a twist. Just using a name that I know has industry recognized numbers out there. Not saying where Amsoil might rank. I personally use Mobil 1. (Which ain't the best, but I think it's the best bang for the buck)

Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 2cylguy
They cant be too small an oil company if they are sponoring a couple of NHRA race cars.
I agree that they can't be a very small company to be sponsoring some big time race teams. However, it's whether or not they apply their racing learned technology to the publically available oils that becomes important. For example, Penzoil is a full time sponsor for a NASCAR cup team (Kevin Havic), which runs roughly $20 million per season, as well as the whole Richard Childress Racing team, and they also sponsor a couple of NTPA pullers...however, I don't think you'll find many PSD owners running Penzoil 15W-40 in their engines.

I guess my point is that a national sponsorship for a race team doesn't necessarily mean it's a quality product. Again, that doesn't mean that Torco isn't a quality product. It may very well be. I just don't know much about it.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Well looks like Amsoil is a better oil, if you look at the Properties and TBN Amsoil being 12.2 TBN. It has better than Scheaffer 10 TBN. Just MOP.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:24 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jwhitetail
Well looks like Amsoil is a better oil, if you look at the Properties and TBN Amsoil being 12.2 TBN. It has better than Scheaffer 10 TBN. Just MOP.
While I agree with you that Schaeffer's has a TBN of 10, where are you getting the info on the Amsoil TBN? What I find says it's a TBN of 8, here: http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/deo.aspx

Old 02-24-2008, 09:16 PM
jrciii56
Elder User
TBN is just a small factor that determines the quality of an oil. It is not where the TBN starts. It is more important to what the TBN number is after a certain number of miles has been put on it. If it starts at a 12 and finishes at a 4 then it is not as good as a oil that starts at a 10 and ends at 8.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 PM
randomhero1172
Posting Guru
My grandfather worked for Roush Racing for YEARS - After reading all the reports on fancy oils and other BS he said this "All Oil (dino) is the same stuff - no difference" Coming from him i tend to believe it, hes beyond smart and gets all the good info. I feel the same about synthetic, My PSD has gone 280,000 on Rotella Dino and never had a problem. I dont think changing now (or changing earlier) would have made any difference what so ever. Ill stick with my dino

Quick Reply: Another Synthetic Oil