Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Extended Warranty..till 194K

Old 02-22-2008, 08:24 PM
ExcursionSVOand5.0
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Extended Warranty..till 194K

So I've got about 6K worth of Ford Premium Care ESP (soup to nuts coverage) left on my 02 Excursion paid about $1500 for the coverage when I picked up the truck 60K ago, paid for it's self a few times over already (nothing major just a few coil packs, CD player, rear seat DVD controller and front manual locking hub and a few lil bits).

Being i'm approaching 100K with it and the warranty will be expiring soon I've been getting a little nervous especially getting banged with a big dollar repair like a tranny out of the blue (and usually the week my mortgage is due) so i've found online carwarranty.com and checked out a $0 deductible "Powershield" Warranty it's pretty basic but looks like it'll cover most any major big dollar failure...for about $1600 for the next 100K till 194K...the only thing I can really see as a drawback might be the maximum coverage limits of $6000.
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> The maximum limit of liability per covered vehicle is $6000. The limit of liability per covered component is as follows: $3,300 in engine claims; $2,200 in transmission claims; $1,500 in differential claims; and $300 in emergency roadside assistance claims. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
It is transferable so if nothing else it'll be added value if i decide to sell her at some point...

What do you think?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:32 PM
kappysworld
Senior User
Check the fine print.. Where and who can do the warranty.. Sounds Like a great deal

Old 02-22-2008, 09:43 PM
ExcursionSVOand5.0
Junior User
Originally Posted by kappysworld
Check the fine print.. Where and who can do the warranty.. Sounds Like a great deal
Any professional liscened repair shop...they get paid directly upon completion of the repairs via a company credit card over the phone..

Old 02-23-2008, 01:20 AM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out their financial stability and ratings by independent companies. I bought a really good ext warranty only to find out a few years later they went belly up (when I needed them).

Old 02-23-2008, 05:50 AM
fordtruckster
Senior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ExcursionSVOand5.0
So I've got about 6K worth of Ford Premium Care ESP (soup to nuts coverage) left on my 02 Excursion paid about $1500 for the coverage when I picked up the truck 60K ago, paid for it's self a few times over already (nothing major just a few coil packs, CD player, rear seat DVD controller and front manual locking hub and a few lil bits).

Being i'm approaching 100K with it and the warranty will be expiring soon I've been getting a little nervous especially getting banged with a big dollar repair like a tranny out of the blue (and usually the week my mortgage is due) so i've found online carwarranty.com and checked out a $0 deductible "Powershield" Warranty it's pretty basic but looks like it'll cover most any major big dollar failure...for about $1600 for the next 100K till 194K...the only thing I can really see as a drawback might be the maximum coverage limits of $6000.
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> The maximum limit of liability per covered vehicle is $6000. The limit of liability per covered component is as follows: $3,300 in engine claims; $2,200 in transmission claims; $1,500 in differential claims; and $300 in emergency roadside assistance claims. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
It is transferable so if nothing else it'll be added value if i decide to sell her at some point...

What do you think?
Consider yourself lucky that have been able to use your existing policy, from you have stated, your new policy would not cover the same things you have had problems with in the past. dvd etc,, Consumer Reports recommends no extended warranties. General rule only, of course their will always be exceptions. Good luck with your decision

Old 02-23-2008, 07:11 AM
ExcursionSVOand5.0
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordtruckster
Consider yourself lucky that have been able to use your existing policy, from you have stated, your new policy would not cover the same things you have had problems with in the past. dvd etc,, Consumer Reports recommends no extended warranties. General rule only, of course their will always be exceptions. Good luck with your decision
I know that it won't cover the lil things like that anymore....really not sure where the coils are handled as they are not callled out as either an inclusion or and exclusion...at the end of the day I'm just wanting to prevent taking a huge hit when something major goes out on her...tranny repairs are far from cheap...

Old 02-23-2008, 08:06 AM
shadows4
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you would be better served to put that $1600 in a separate savings account and maybe adding to it once a month. In your post you state $2200 in transmission repairs you are over half way there at $1600. JMHO. John

Old 02-23-2008, 08:37 AM
ExcursionSVOand5.0
Junior User
One of my customers just dropped $3500 on tranny repairs on her 01, she had 135K on the truck...

Old 02-23-2008, 09:28 AM
FordCrusherGT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not bother. Yes, when I worked at a shop we had several customers who had these aftermarket warranties and they did always pay up. They gave us a hassle as a shop, but from the customer's perspective it wasn't that bad.

The problem is, they can tell you that they don't want to cover something based on fine print that you never saw or didn't interpret the way that their lawyers did.

The only warranty I would go with is one from Ford. You know they'll be around, and I think they'll be less likely to screw you. I haven't gotten extended warranties on cars, but I have gotten screwed on warranties for many other devices, saying that my failure wasn't covered or they couldn't find my information.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 AM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shadows4
I think you would be better served to put that $1600 in a separate savings account and maybe adding to it once a month. In your post you state $2200 in transmission repairs you are over half way there at $1600. JMHO. John
Thats the best idea. You know the repair is going to qualify. If you end up needing a tranny w/ the warranty you are only saving 600 bucks, as long as they are still in business when you need it. If your X hasnt given you any major drivetrain issues in the first 100k I think you are in pretty good shape for the next 100k. At least when you do make it the next 100k w/o major issue you will have a nice savings account!

Search this Thread