Sponsored by: DP Tuner

end links, bushings, & 6637 on!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 PM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
end links, bushings, & 6637 on!!

I just finished installing my new sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, and 6637 filter. Went for a little drive. The front end seems a little tighter, not as much slop in the steering. There is still something making a thump on the driver's side. Everything feels tight when I jack the tire off the ground. I haven't checked the shock though. I didn't really notice much difference in the sound with the 6637. When I bought the truck it had a drop-in K&N, which we all know (or at least here on FTE) is not good. Here is the kicker. When I started removing the filter box, a piece came off in my hand. It appeared that it had been glued on. Then, I decided to remove the intake pipe from the ccv to the turbo so I could wipe out the inside. What the, the clamp at the turbo was just hanging on the pipe. It wasn't even close to tight! I checked for any movement in the wheel on the turbo and everything feels really tight. So I cleaned everything and put it all together. THANK YOU ALL for the knowledge I have gained on here!! Next up, filter cover from you know who and the S/S HPX line. Maybe someone on here has a S/S HPX line that they want to sell?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
WOW.....it sounds like you got extremmmely lucky that you didn't dust your turbo with everything that loose! Did you have any pitting on the wheel at all? Being sorta dirty is to be expected with CCV in stock form, but nothing "severe" I also went from a "drop in" K & N filter...but I noticed a HUGE difference in sound and power on the very first drive with the 6637. You should be getting the normal "whoosh" sounds that the 6637 is known for......

Old 02-19-2008, 11:04 PM
00Dave
Posting Guru
I think that there seems to be more power, or at least a little more responsive. I can't really hear it over the engine noise, especially when it hasn't warmed up yet. After a little more drive time I'm sure I'll notice. I can't determine why the engine noise is so loud when it isn't completely warmed up. It kinda sounds like an exhaust leak and I'm thinking it's the up-pipes. I can see a little soot on the driver's side. After I drive for a while it quiets down. Maybe when the pipes warm up they seal a little better, i don't know. Just real glad to get it done!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:47 AM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at your leaf spring insulators, and the leaf spring eye bushings at the shackle. I've started getting a thump from there too in the last week. There was a TSB a long time ago on the insulators, but I have a feeling that mine is the bushing at the shackle from the feel of it. I'm doing an oil change and tranny fluid service on it tomorrow. I'll post back what I find.

Austin

Old 02-20-2008, 07:33 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
With what you've described so far, it sounds like it would be a good idea to check and tighten all the fittings under your hood to make sure you don't have anything else loose under there.

Glad you found those before you had $$$ damage.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:02 AM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Good idea Chris. I think I'll get some simple green, get up under the hood, really check everything for tightness, and then spray her down and clean this beast! I do feel fortunate that I found these problems now. The wheel on the turbo doesn't appear to have been damaged judging from the pics I saw on here. I do have a feeling that the up-pipes are going to be a job I'd rather not have to do. I need to look into the bellowed ones that everyone talks about.

Austin, I'll look at the spring isolators. I remember looking at that TSB prior to doing the end links. I wrote down the part # for the "updated kit" from Ford. I think I'll try that too. Thanks to all!!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:03 AM
harleydude03
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did you get your sway bar links?

Old 02-20-2008, 10:01 AM
00Dave
Posting Guru
harleydude03,
Got the sway bar end links and sway bar bushings from an ebay seller. If you are interested in the seller's name, shoot me a pm and I'll look it up when I get home. I think the price was pretty good @ 90.00 shipped for Ford OEM new parts.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:27 PM
harleydude03
Junior User
tryed to pm you but cant for some reason. please pm me with the info. thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 08:38 PM
00Dave
Posting Guru
I tried to pm you but the system wouldn't let me. Here you go: The user id is boxrugs. He had previously listed a set and someone beat me to the buy it now. I e-mailed him through ebay and he contacted me for my vehicle info. He had a set in about a week. Set up a buy it now for me. Real good transaction. Let me know if you need any assistance and I'll try to help any way I can.
Check your settings on your profile. Make sure you have checked to send/receive pm's.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:20 PM
f350vince
Junior User
Old 02-21-2008, 03:45 PM
00Dave
Posting Guru
f350vince, that's what I was going to do, but I really didn't have the proper tools to get the old bushings out of the end links. Everyone says it is difficult, so I bought new end links and the two bushings on the sway bar itself. I would have rather had the poly bushings, but sometimes things don't work in my favor. I am saving my old end links so at some point I might be able to remove the old bushings.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:03 PM
f350vince
Junior User
You could have just burned out the old ones and the new ones are a two pieces on each end.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:44 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
Did you replace the rubber bushings that connect your sway bar to the axle... I had a pretty good clunk in mine and thats where the problem was.. I actually put a bunch of wraps of electrical tape around the rubber bushing to tighten it up that much more...

Old 03-07-2008, 12:05 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I noticed it was Energy Suspension parts at Summit Racing. You can save money by going directly to Energy Suspension.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/