6.0 bio diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:39 AM
bcfordguy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 bio diesel

ok i have done more reading on bio diesel and i've decided to make bio myself. My girlfriend is doing organic chemistry as we speak so any q's i have go to her, the profeser,and the forum.My only concern is everybody is runnig 7.3's and i'm running a 6 liter with a tunner.From what i've read is the bio diesel runs hotter, which is fine because i can moniter my egt,coolant , icp and so on but with the timming advanced slightly can the combustion possible pre-ignite bending a rod or am i just pariniod? I run about 60 extra ***** nothing extreme.How many people have been runnig a 6 liter on bio and what percent of bio if greater than B20? I have found lots of bio diesel sites but none tell you what the people are putting the bio in and how it runs on bio.Thanks for your help

Old 02-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Elliot_.45
New User
I have a 07 6.0 cc xlt with 12000 miles used B-20 on and off, mixed with regular diesel, between B-5 and B-10. Just filled up with 15 gallons of B-20, so about 3 gallons of BD.(or about B-5)

I have not changed any fuel filters yet and have had no problems. Truck Run Great!!

Elliot

Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
What kind of tuner do you have? I have talked to Matt @ Spartan and he said he could write me a custom Biodiesel tune for my truck. I am going to contact him when I find a new source for bio b/c the closest station that sells b99 is over 35 miles away and I have been forced to just run Diesel lately.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 AM
jimmeste
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use B90 in my 6.0. Homebrew with 10% kerosene plus Power Service for the anti-gel properties, but this mixture will not work in BC because of the high gel point of biodiesel. This mixture gells at about 24°F. I live in south Alabama so I have had no problems with gelling so far.
It is my understanding that biodiesel has about 10% fewer BTUs available so it has 10% lower power. My experience says this is true based on the fuel mileage. I don't run a tuner and do not have gauges beyond the factory originals.
Good luck with making your fuel. At today's prices it makes a lot of sense.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:54 PM
bcfordguy
Freshman User
Unfortunetly my tunner is bully dog not xcal but i have had no problems so far knock on wood but if you could let me know what the diffrence in a regular diesel tune and a bio diesel tune it might be worth switching to xcal.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:49 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
As I said I don't have any personal experience but did have a little conversation with Matt. He told me that Biodiesel needs a higher temp. to combust fully and he can adjust the timing and something else to tune your truck to run ideally on Biodiesel. Everything he does is custom so you can let him know if you have any modifications, what you do with you truck, if your looking for economy/performance/towing, and what blend you run (b20, b50, b100) and then set you up with what you need. If your interested you should contact him SpartanDieselTech.com it has his phone number. When bio becomes more available or I am going on a road trip and know i can fuel up on bio along the way I am going to ask him to send me the tune. I will be sure to post after I test it out, but im not sure how soon that will be.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Bcbioguy.In this very cold weather we are having I would be careful on how high a % you go as the gelling might get you. As you can see I run B5 I used to run B20 year round but was about caught with a very cold snap that about stopped me in my tracks. Couldn't afford to not to get to work ontime so switched to lighter B content.