Hard starting, stumbling, pinging, stalling 302 in an 89 E-150

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 06:38 AM
cleeE150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lot of things, can make these motors run this way, you say oil psi at 25 when hot, does it go higher, at higher rpms, if not, oil pump is bad, or motor is tired, time to fix/replace motor . ck all for vacume leaks, hoses, in take air leaks etc. HARD START, some things could be- distributor,wires,plugs,rotor, electronic ignition module, coil, sensors, on mine for whatever reason, some sensors were bad,that dident show codes when cked. sensors that can cause hard starting, coolant temp sensor,air temp sensor,map sensor throttle position sensor,,,,,,,,,,,,pinging electronic ignition module, engine knock sensor. TIMMING make sure its right, and ajusting ..........how about fuel filter.....and the list gos on, now that Ive read my own post Im so depressed.. WHY DO WE LOVE OUR FORDS SO MUCH????????? SINGING what fools are weeee, oops got to go time for my meds............

Old 03-11-2008, 03:05 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Pull the fuel line off at the engine and pump a quart in to something clean. Let it set and see if you have water in it. Many people don't keep their tanks near full and condensation occurs in the tank. Also if your exhaust cat converter/muffler is over 4 years old, you have a chance of moisture causing these same problems. Moisture causes inside packing expansion and causes a restriction in exhaust/ back pressure. I ran a crow bar through mine instead of paying $300 for a new one.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Reed
Senior User
Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup
Pull the fuel line off at the engine and pump a quart in to something clean. Let it set and see if you have water in it. Many people don't keep their tanks near full and condensation occurs in the tank. Also if your exhaust cat converter/muffler is over 4 years old, you have a chance of moisture causing these same problems. Moisture causes inside packing expansion and causes a restriction in exhaust/ back pressure. I ran a crow bar through mine instead of paying $300 for a new one.
Thanks. I will actually replace it with a $60 high flow catalytic converter from Summit. I like the ozone.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Reed
Senior User
Originally Posted by cleeE150
lot of things, can make these motors run this way, you say oil psi at 25 when hot, does it go higher, at higher rpms, if not, oil pump is bad, or motor is tired, time to fix/replace motor .
Nope, if it is really cold outside it might start at about 50 PSI cold, but once it warms up it is a steady 25 PSI regardless of RPM.

ck all for vacume leaks, hoses, in take air leaks etc.
I get 17-21 inches of vacuum at idle.

HARD START, some things could be- distributor,wires,plugs,rotor, electronic ignition module, coil, sensors, on mine for whatever reason, some sensors were bad,that dident show codes when cked. sensors that can cause hard starting, coolant temp sensor,air temp sensor,map sensor throttle position sensor,,,,,,,,,,,,pinging electronic ignition module, engine knock sensor. TIMMING make sure its right, and ajusting ..........how about fuel filter.....and the list gos on, now that Ive read my own post Im so depressed.. WHY DO WE LOVE OUR FORDS SO MUCH????????? SINGING what fools are weeee, oops got to go time for my meds............
I have been through most of these. I will start replacing things like the O2 sensor, temp sensor etc..., but I think the motor is just beat.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM
cleeE150
Senior User
reed srry to hear that. if you get 50 psi when cold, might be some miles left yet, use heavy oil, add something like stp to oil, it will boost pressure...........

Old 03-13-2008, 12:37 AM
blue beast
Posting Guru
http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpk.asp#07000
Go to the 07000 model and read the instruction manual if you have a vacuum gauge
and using the vac gauge will tell you an amazing amount of information about your
motor. DOn't replace the O2 just clean it with a torch flame make sure the vent
opening is clear of crap so exhaust stream can get to the sensor internals. A multi
meter can tell if the temp sensor is failing or as it warms going to open circuit instead
of sending a resistance level. What do your spark plugs look like? And yes water can
stay in the tank and if you didn't use enough gas line dryer to absorb it some is still
in there and actually pulling the fuel filter and filling it up with 100% HEET and bumping
the starter so the HEET stays in the fuel system for at least 10 minutes can insure it
is out of there. The alcohol can only uptake so much water per ounce so it couldn't
hurt since it is only $1.00

Old 03-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Reed
Senior User
Originally Posted by blue beast
http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpk.asp#07000
Go to the 07000 model and read the instruction manual if you have a vacuum gauge
and using the vac gauge will tell you an amazing amount of information about your
motor. DOn't replace the O2 just clean it with a torch flame make sure the vent
opening is clear of crap so exhaust stream can get to the sensor internals. A multi
meter can tell if the temp sensor is failing or as it warms going to open circuit instead
of sending a resistance level. What do your spark plugs look like? And yes water can
stay in the tank and if you didn't use enough gas line dryer to absorb it some is still
in there and actually pulling the fuel filter and filling it up with 100% HEET and bumping
the starter so the HEET stays in the fuel system for at least 10 minutes can insure it
is out of there. The alcohol can only uptake so much water per ounce so it couldn't
hurt since it is only $1.00
I will try the gas line dryer. Plugs are new.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:35 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
What did the color on the old plugs look like is what I meant.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...q/faqread2.asp
match em up to that and let us know, They can tell alot about how the motor is
running.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Reed
Senior User
The old plugs looked "normal."

At this point, given the price of gas, I am considering pulling the 302 and swapping ti with the rebuilt 351 in my 84 van. Then I will save up and convert the 84 to run on electricity.

I fear the days of the internal combustion engine are numbered, and the number is small.