Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

New Ford van at dealers, soon (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:56 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by racsan
looks too small. wish the aero was still available, ive been looking fo a manual trans aerostar for awhile, i know they made them. ive only ever seen 2. this thing remids me of a mercury villager. guess the E150/4.6 is still the only choice for a small work van. if only you could still get a C6 or 3 speed coulmn shift manual trans.
why a C6? the 4.6 4r70w combo is way better. cant you still order an E150 with a stick?
it is the same truck under neath as a F150 and you can get that 5 speed.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 AM
MuddyAxles II
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eehoepp
Pablo:

That Mercedes Vito is the nearest thing I have ever seen to a replacement for the Aerostar. Is it available in Europe now?

Some of the other LCVs you show in your post are neat (some are ugly), but if they are FWD they are not for me. I frequently tow a trailer (3000 pounds or 1400 kg) and I would never feel safe towing it with FWD.

Hopefully the Vito will come to North America with the diesel engine still offered.
FWD is a ploy for the manufacturers alone. It allows them to build a lighter, cheaper, less reliable, and, in many cases, less maneuverable vehicle that looks just like a real car/van/pick-up. But with FWD alone, it is only a cheaply made, over-priced knock off.

Reading an article which looked into long term use of FWD (100,000 miles +) and repair and maintenance costs exceeded (what used to be called) conventional drive set-up due to excessive wear and tear on front tires, brakes, CV joints, ball joints, etc. etc.

And that study only mentioned, but did not factor in increased costs from collisions due to handling irregularities, lack of proper training of drivers both new and experienced (after HOW MANY years of FWD popularity??), increased costs due to entire drive train proximity to front one-third of car, where many collisions take place.

When FWD is all there is to buy (coming soon thanks to EPA regs and our nationalized car companies), I, like you eehoepp, will probably be done driving.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 AM
MuddyAxles II
Junior User
WHaaaaaaT??

Originally Posted by Metallic Blade
Right on! Also, bring back that awesome digital dashboard! My Aero was the only Ford car that I saw in my lifetime that had one.

Oh please... needle gauges are so 20th century stuff. Wait... the Aero's digital dash WAS 80's tech! Put in that redesigned 3.0 Vulcan (after the 90's) and a 7-speed tranny (for fuel economy) and were golden!
Oh yeah, that digital dash workes REAL good...until it quits and then there is NOTHING!!! Whaddya do then, smaht guy?

NOVEL IDEA: Why not use what actually is PROVEN FOR DECADES? Gauges!

Sorry I had to slap you around on that one, but I got rid of that darned Aero due to failed digital dash display...hate 'em...hard to see at times, fail prematurely, black on gray is NOT a good contrast and if any of it fails, it ALL fails...not a good situation at all.

Long for them if you want, I hate digital displays.

As for the new van...not liking what I see so far.

Did you notice the one shot with the sliding door open...looks like maybe 6" of leg room btw 1st & 2nd row.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Mercedes had many towing related problems with Vito 638 (FWD) and that's why 2nd generation Vito 639 is RWD. Powertraine is like Sprinter has, electronics - like E-class.

but rear suspention is indeoendent.

I think Vito is too suffisticated and there are to many expencive solutions inside.

It is more incomplicated then Sprinter and Vario.

So I think mercedes is too expencive toy to replace aero.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:37 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
BTW, Vito 638 did not dissapeare. they made new Voyager on chassis of Vito of the first generation. They use Vito powertraine for diesel versions of Voyager in EU.

Voto 639 is downsized sprinter, but of very expencive version.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Originally Posted by MuddyAxles II
FWD is a ploy for the manufacturers alone. It allows them to build a lighter, cheaper, less reliable, and, in many cases, less maneuverable vehicle that looks just like a real car/van/pick-up. But with FWD alone, it is only a cheaply made, over-priced knock off.

Reading an article which looked into long term use of FWD (100,000 miles +) and repair and maintenance costs exceeded (what used to be called) conventional drive set-up due to excessive wear and tear on front tires, brakes, CV joints, ball joints, etc. etc.

And that study only mentioned, but did not factor in increased costs from collisions due to handling irregularities, lack of proper training of drivers both new and experienced (after HOW MANY years of FWD popularity??), increased costs due to entire drive train proximity to front one-third of car, where many collisions take place.

When FWD is all there is to buy (coming soon thanks to EPA regs and our nationalized car companies), I, like you eehoepp, will probably be done driving.
if it is fwd and unit body, then it is not a van it is a minivan. a van is a truck.a minivan is a POS. why no more aerostar ? it was a good 1/4 ton van/truck.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:30 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
All EU drive compact cars. More then 80%. Parking lots are smaller and it is a problem there to park F150. Somewhere it was difficult to find a place for Aerostar in Berlin.

They made transit connect on enforced Mondeo/Contour chassis to get van that may fir compact car palking place.

So they use small trucks for small cargo. They rarelly use Sprinter to haule 150-200 kg.

BTW, sprinter is made like aerostar with chassis weld in body.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:26 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Originally Posted by Pablo-UA
All EU drive compact cars. More then 80%. Parking lots are smaller and it is a problem there to park F150. Somewhere it was difficult to find a place for Aerostar in Berlin.

They made transit connect on enforced Mondeo/Contour chassis to get van that may fir compact car palking place.

So they use small trucks for small cargo. They rarelly use Sprinter to haule 150-200 kg.

BTW, sprinter is made like aerostar with chassis weld in body.
the sprinter is not body on frame?

Old 06-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
some of them were on frame, some were with frame weld in body (like aerostar). It is amazing heavy duty vans with twin tires are unibody. Sprinter truck with bed is on frame.

sprinter on frame

There are 3 ore 4 sprinter bodies of different size called 2, 3, 4 and 5. #1 body is Vito (unibody design only). Smallest is 208 (80HP), big - 517 (170 HP).

Most popular here #4 body.

But, all Mercedes Vario Vans and trucks are on frame. And cabine of Vario is like a half of van on mid size truck frame.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:56 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Originally Posted by Pablo-UA
some of them were on frame, some were with frame weld in body (like aerostar). It is amazing heavy duty vans with twin tires are unibody. Sprinter truck with bed is on frame.

sprinter on frame

There are 3 ore 4 sprinter bodies of different size called 2, 3, 4 and 5. #1 body is Vito (unibody design only). Smallest is 208 (80HP), big - 517 (170 HP).

Most popular here #4 body.

But, all Mercedes Vario Vans and trucks are on frame. And cabine of Vario is like a half of van on mid size truck frame.
so are the duel rear wheel 1 ton cargo vans on a frame or unit body?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:21 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bill11012
Sprinters are unit bodies, including the dual rear wheel version with the van body. The chassis cabs are unit cabs with subframes hung off the rear.

I came pretty close to buying a Sprinter back in 2003, but got cold feet (because of the Freightliner/Dodge musical nameplate thing and the price up front) and ended up with an E150.

There is nothing inherently wimpy with a front wheel drive vehicle if it does not to be really big, and it gives better packaging in the rear because you don't need to house driveshafts and rear axles. Towing is gonna be the only big limitation.

We are bicyclists and have owned a full size van since 1986; our son is now grown and next time the van needs updating, something like the Transit Connect may be just perfect--but I'll probably want something bigger, ideally. My E150 will probably go another 10 years and I may well just try to keep it that long....

George

Old 06-02-2009, 11:45 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Sprinters are unit bodies, including the dual rear wheel version with the van body. The chassis cabs are unit cabs with subframes hung off the rear.

I came pretty close to buying a Sprinter back in 2003, but got cold feet (because of the Freightliner/Dodge musical nameplate thing and the price up front) and ended up with an E150.

There is nothing inherently wimpy with a front wheel drive vehicle if it does not to be really big, and it gives better packaging in the rear because you don't need to house driveshafts and rear axles. Towing is gonna be the only big limitation.

We are bicyclists and have owned a full size van since 1986; our son is now grown and next time the van needs updating, something like the Transit Connect may be just perfect--but I'll probably want something bigger, ideally. My E150 will probably go another 10 years and I may well just try to keep it that long....

George
I just do not like front drive.I have an E350 and I have a 3400 pounds of concrete in the
back right now. I would never replace that with a front drive minivan.so with this 1 ton sprinter being unit body, can it really take the crap like towing 15K, off roading and hauling to much all at the same time? I know my full frame van can.( and it is single rear wheel)

Old 06-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Sprinter vans are usually unibody, with twin tires too, flatbed truck you see is on frame.

All Vario vans and trucks are on frame.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I just do not like front drive.I have an E350 and I have a 3400 pounds of concrete in the
back right now. I would never replace that with a front drive minivan.so with this 1 ton sprinter being unit body, can it really take the crap like towing 15K, off roading and hauling to much all at the same time? I know my full frame van can.( and it is single rear wheel)
Front wheel drive and 3400 lbs of concrete, I agree, is not gonna be a workable combo, nor is towing 15000 lbs.

As for unit bodies, most Jeeps have been unit bodies since the original small Cherokee and they've been pretty successful off-roading. I don't think the Sprinter is a good format for off-road, though

I'm guessing a Sprinter can tow a fair amount, but engines are smaller than Ford's V10 and diesels... If you build a unit body properly, it will be stronger and stiffer than a separate body/frame of the same weight.

The Transit Connect will be a perfect vehicle for a florist, caterer, grocery delivery vehicle, etc, especially *when* gas is $4 per gallon once again. It will never be a replacement for an E350.

George

Old 06-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
it is not correct to compare transit connect and aerostar ore E150
Transit connect is not designed for heavy duty, towing, offroad....

Ford offer transit for this. It is like 150 but on low frame with low center of gravity, narrower, with small diesel egine like EU Ranger is offered with.

Ford want to offer Transit in the USA. Transit connect is the firs step only.

Quick Reply: New Ford van at dealers, soon (pics inside)