Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Kansas ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:43 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kansas ?

My Wife and I are planning to relocate to Kansas. We have done a lot of online searching. We would like to hear from anyone from Topeka area about what it is like there,there is a lot that the relocation doesn't tell about the area. The Job market,the rental housing market,taxes,vehicle inspections are what we are interested in.Any Information will be a big help.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 PM
jjlogue3
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle inspections????? What is that????? lol I don't live around Topeka but i do frequent that area and it seems like a pretty nice area. Are you looking to live in the city or out side of it?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:50 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jjlogue3
Vehicle inspections????? What is that????? lol I don't live around Topeka but i do frequent that area and it seems like a pretty nice area. Are you looking to live in the city or out side of it?
We would like to live outside of the city,so we can have a place for our pup and a small garden. We are looking to rent for a while.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
good luck, i dont like topeka. its actually a rough town for its size. if i was you i would look into a town like silver lake, then commute. silver lake is a power house in sports and is pretty small

Matt

Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Alma is also a nice small town about 20 miles west of Topeka and there are a number of others. Generally speaking Kansas has low unemployment, but people that are willing to work or that have some skills can always find work. Wages and salaries are like most places and vary some from community to community. Topeka is the capital city, so there are a number of government jobs. Also there is manufacturing in the area too(Goodyear) and others. Tell us a little about what you are looking for and we may be able to give you a line on something. Kansas is a great place to live all in all.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
I've never lived there but drove through it allot. Topeka is close to KC, and not that far from Wichita on the turnpike. Personally I like the comuting idea. Live in one of the bedroom towns close by, people in the smaller places are very friendly. Curtis goes to Topeka allot for work and has a couple guys on his team that live there. Supprised he hasn't posted.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Everything sounds good. What about vehicle safety inspection and emissions testing? Is renting a house expensive in the smaller towns?

Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
smaller towns would be much cheaper to rent than city. and i still dont know what vehicle safety inspection or emissions tests are :P

Matt

Old 02-14-2008, 10:02 AM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Kansas doesn't do "safety inspections or emissions testing." If you are transferring a title to Kansas for a license tag on a vehicle from out of state there will be a check by a state trooper or sheriff etc. of VIN numbers before issuing a Kansas title. At that time the law office may check to see that the vehicle is in good working condition, but I've rarely heard of inspections of emissions stuff.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:23 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by husker
Kansas doesn't do "safety inspections or emissions testing." If you are transferring a title to Kansas for a license tag on a vehicle from out of state there will be a check by a state trooper or sheriff etc. of VIN numbers before issuing a Kansas title. At that time the law office may check to see that the vehicle is in good working condition, but I've rarely heard of inspections of emissions stuff.
Thanks husker.. Now all we have to do is research prices for rental properties and look up Witchita.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:43 AM
jjlogue3
Posting Guru
What is your reason for relocating to our fine state? Do you have to live close to Topeka? And I agree with the other posts small town living is the way to go.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:47 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
if you choose somewhere like alma, rollie will be able to help you find somewhere to live. he lives there. you will also meet good ford fans

Matt

Old 02-14-2008, 10:49 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jjlogue3
What is your reason for relocating to our fine state? Do you have to live close to Topeka? And I agree with the other posts small town living is the way to go.
Thats a easy question.We are tired of NC and want a change. My wife has been a housewife for 21 years and all our children have grown.Our Middle son is in the Army and is in Iraq right now and is based at Ft.Riley. He fell in love with Kansas and when he comes home he is going to put in a request to be kept there.
I'm in the process of getting machine work finished on my 302 and I either plan to rebuild a 350 or junk my wagon and hope I can find one cheap after we move.
We originally planned to move west but my wife changed her mind.

Last edited by SuperSnake; 02-14-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:54 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordboy_52
if you choose somewhere like alma, rollie will be able to help you find somewhere to live. he lives there. you will also meet good ford fans

Matt
We would prefer to live in a small town.We hope to find a 3 bedroom house with a garage and/or small shop so I can tinker on a car or truck and a fenced yard for my pup he's 8 mos old and about 70 lbs.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:56 AM
jjlogue3
Posting Guru
So you want to move to Topeka to be closer to Junction City? There are a bunch of nice towns in my area west of Junction City (Ft. Riley) along I-135.

Quick Reply: Kansas ?