1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48 F-6 COE car hauler

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:44 PM
SgtCrump
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottm1
Those are the reason the engine is behind the sleeper.

Scott
Many thanks for the engine info. It makes very good sense. I wonder if a tilt-cab configuration would help, if the motor was up front.
I did see the interior after I posted the question....just had to figure out how to get there. You have a beautiful truck.
I am hoping to adapt, or build, a pickup style bed. I prefer travel trailers for RVing, and I like to take a motorcycle along, so a regular bed is best.

Thanks again

Old 02-17-2008, 11:03 AM
scottm1
Senior User
Yea, if you are wanting to put a regular pickup style bed on your truck it isn't as convenient for you to put your behind the cab as it was for me. The space behind the cab under my hauler bed was just dead space anyway, so it was MY best option. I have seen guys put the engine in the back with a regular pickup bed before, but there is little room left to haul anything and I'm not sure you would have room for a fifth wheel hitch either without building a stretched bed, and I'm not sure how that would look. I know of a guy that has a 48 Ford COE with Power Stroke under the hood in the flathead original location, but darn...........How in the heck you would ever be able to work on it is beyond me. So after seeing his, I am sure you can do it, and I'm sure when you remove the hump on the floor pan, you can get to it to work on it. But I just hate that hump. WIth the hump there, to drive it you almost have to remove one of your legs and throw it in the back because there isn't enough room for both of them between the hump and the left kick panel.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:56 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
very nice truck, Scott. and welcome.

So what was involved with aligning the steering. most coe guys I hear from use P-30, RV, or Econoline chassis to get the more vertical steering column. What did you have to do?

As you can see from my avatar, I'm a fan of these trucks as well. Not an owner YET, but very soon, Lord willing.

JML

Old 02-17-2008, 02:19 PM
SgtCrump
Freshman User
Scott,
This is the second reply, in case another shows up!
Thanks for the info. It sure helps to take advantage of lessons learned. I have had the Dodge/Cummins combo before, so I am partial to the Cummins. Another question....did you lower your truck?
I am not too worried about height, and actually prefer a more original look, so I might be able to get more space under there. That is why I am thinking tilt-cab would work.
If I can get the motor up front, the bed would not be a problem, and I don't like fifth wheels because I like to take a motorcycle along on trips.
Thanks again

Old 02-17-2008, 03:00 PM
scottm1
Senior User
Vintage, I thought I was going ot have to use a step van frame too when I started the project, but then after I bought the Dodge D350 and started measuring I realized that it was the correct dimensions. That left the steep steering angle that I didn't know if I could overcome. Long story short, I used a GM column that I shortened to allow for more distance between the coluymn and steering box, then used a Borgeson double joint with a vibration dampner and a bearing. It worked great, but there isn't an inch to spare. I am not saying that the frame I used is the best, but it WILL work. I intended to use a step van frame, but after I realized what I had would work I went ahead and used because I had it, and it was paid for. No regrets. 12,000 miles on it in 2 years with no problems.

Sgt, The truck is not lowered per say. It looks like it, but the suspension is not altered. I just sat the body as low as I could on the new frame to give it that low look., I am very opposed to changing original factory suspension geometry on something you want to drive with reliabilty. It does have air bags on the rear to level the truck after I load a car on it, but other than that all suspension geometry is exactly as it was when the frame was new.