Bio Fuel Reality Check - finally

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZHILTON
In a word no
I have watched presidents over many years and they all seem to age at a greatly accelerated rate. I dont want to give up any years I have left, which ar far to few.

You could not give me that job
Thanks anyway

GIG EM AGGIES

Old 03-03-2008, 04:53 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
ZHILTON
In a word no
I have watched presidents over many years and they all seem to age at a greatly accelerated rate. I dont want to give up any years I have left, which ar far to few.

You could not give me that job
Thanks anyway
Oh well, at least it looked good on paper.

Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
GIG EM AGGIES
Oh no, even worse. It's bad enough to be from Texas...but to be a card carrying Aggie...I've got an uncle in Houston that graduated from A&M back in the '80s; I don't remember which year. We know most of the Aggie jokes that are clean enough to repeat among a mixed crowd.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:54 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Somethings getting left out of this discussion. As a farmer I'm not very interested in raising thousands of acres of oilseed crops, BUT, I'm extremely interested in supplying my own fuel. Buy supplying my own fuel and fuel for the neighbor I'm DECREASING the need for 30,000 gallons of diesel fuel annually. This fuel will be availible to the general public. If just the farmers in my county all made there own fuel that would free up 800,000 gallons per year.............

Over the last 4 years this is what I've been promoting. DE-CENTRALIZATION of fuel supplies. If all farmers where encouraged nationwide to take out just a small fraction of there base acreage for on-farm biodiesel production, the cost of a small "micro-processor" is almost insignificant, and it would free up BILLONS of gallons per year. Think about it....................

Old 03-03-2008, 05:20 PM
tazo
Elder User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Somethings getting left out of this discussion. As a farmer I'm not very interested in raising thousands of acres of oilseed crops, BUT, I'm extremely interested in supplying my own fuel. Buy supplying my own fuel and fuel for the neighbor I'm DECREASING the need for 30,000 gallons of diesel fuel annually. This fuel will be availible to the general public. If just the farmers in my county all made there own fuel that would free up 800,000 gallons per year.............

Over the last 4 years this is what I've been promoting. DE-CENTRALIZATION of fuel supplies. If all farmers where encouraged nationwide to take out just a small fraction of there base acreage for on-farm biodiesel production, the cost of a small "micro-processor" is almost insignificant, and it would free up BILLONS of gallons per year. Think about it....................
I like that thought. If I was a farmer I would definitely make my own fuel. It would have be cost effective though. All the farmers I know have a budget that is very strict. Not much room for additional cost.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:31 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
I like that idea boys. I've talked to a couple guys in my area about it. Nobody really seems interested in it. I think the problem is that most new equipment can only run on 5% max bio? (voids warranty) We've always ran B20 since the mid eighties. We've gone through our share of injector pumps. Some warranty work, most not.

I'm decreasing our oil dependence.. about 1800 bushel a day I take to the soy plant. Lol.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 PM
kirkland
New User
Originally Posted by Herkmafia
carbon dioxide is listed as a greenhouse gas = bad for earth

Tree huggers and extreme environmentalists produce carbon dioxide when they breathe

"Reduction" of these could lower greenhouse gasses.

Any volunteers to stop breathing?....Bueller?.....Bueller?
Do some research. Our atmosphere does have a problem with too much co2, and it's still rising. Sure, there's supposed to be a certain amount of co2 in the air, but too much is still a bad thing, and causes global warming.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:51 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kirkland
Do some research. Our atmosphere does have a problem with too much co2, and it's still rising. Sure, there's supposed to be a certain amount of co2 in the air, but too much is still a bad thing, and causes global warming.
Sorry.........couldn't help myself

Old 03-03-2008, 11:14 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's ok Don it's obvious by his post he hasn't bothered to do any reading on the subject even within this very thread.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:06 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
Lol. Maybe when need to go to school on the atmosphere and Carbon Dioxide.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:26 AM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"Somethings getting left out of this discussion. As a farmer I'm not very interested in raising thousands of acres of oilseed crops, BUT, I'm extremely interested in supplying my own fuel. Buy supplying my own fuel and fuel for the neighbor I'm DECREASING the need for 30,000 gallons of diesel fuel annually. This fuel will be availible to the general public. If just the farmers in my county all made there own fuel that would free up 800,000 gallons per year.............

Over the last 4 years this is what I've been promoting. DE-CENTRALIZATION of fuel supplies. If all farmers where encouraged nationwide to take out just a small fraction of there base acreage for on-farm biodiesel production, the cost of a small "micro-processor" is almost insignificant, and it would free up BILLONS of gallons per year. Think about it...................."

Many farmers are doing this. Besides the amazing Farm Show magazine, have you got any links to more info? I'm not a farmer, but very interested in farm tech because farmers build some AMAZING stuff.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Monkeywrench
You need to get in touch with Fabman. He has advocated the same for a long time and has some info on how to form a fuel coop.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:03 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Man....this thread is still a great read. I wish I had something constructive to add.

I guess all I've got is kudos to everyone for reversing the polarity of this one with reasonable arguments and level headed conversations.

Really encouraging stuff in this one.......

Old 03-05-2008, 10:20 AM
tazo
Elder User
Originally Posted by cookie88
Man....this thread is still a great read. I wish I had something constructive to add.

I guess all I've got is kudos to everyone for reversing the polarity of this one with reasonable arguments and level headed conversations.

Really encouraging stuff in this one.......
Isn't it nice to moderate in a good way! If you want to add something how about a little Bio in your truck? And then let us know how you like the smell.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:33 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fabman (Don) has been planting canola as well has his neighbor farmers in areas to decrease the amount of fuel needed by 50 percent. He planted 25 acres and the other 2 planted 20 acres each. Simple math will show 250 gallons per acre yield of usable oil to convert 1 to 1. 16,250 gallons for 3 farms in Oregon with a couple thousand acres per farm. A significant savings. I believe Don either purchased or made a crusher for sqeezing the oil out. Now they have a feed byproduct and a water fertalizer product too. Don has moved to a new farm managing position since I spoke with him last year and is still really busy for an old coot.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 PM
HAB
Senior User
I thought the Algae had to be grown in a closed loop system to keep out unwanted wild Algae! That means almost no evaporation, thus deserts would work. I may be wrong.

Quick Reply: Bio Fuel Reality Check - finally