Bio Fuel Reality Check - finally

Old 03-01-2008, 12:54 PM
tazo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have learned more about biodiesel feedstock in the last three pages than I have all year. I need to fill up with fuel today so I will see how much #2 is compared to Bio. I still feel better feeding the farmers and our country than feeding the terrorists. I also think it is a good time to invest in a growing biodiesel company. Hey, maybe I can retire from the growing stock!

Old 03-01-2008, 01:26 PM
jenkins2
Junior User
Great thread, guys! In my little town here on Whidbey Island, we are spooling up a program to use wastewater from the town and direct it out to the farming community to allow them to diversify their crops. This can be done with a steady supply of water throughout the growing season, instead of the much water in the spring and none in the fall scenario. I am going to make sure that the algae possibilities are thrown into the farmers mix. Who knows? Jim

Old 03-01-2008, 09:52 PM
JORYLEE76
Elder User
Originally Posted by zhilton
Going back to the comment about how this thread has evolded, that ain't no joke....but it's nice to see what can come of a discussion when well all keep it clean and simi-professional.
well said!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:21 PM
JORYLEE76
Elder User
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
One of our forum members, Fabmandelux,is very much a BD production expert. He also farms in Washington state. He has a Camelina test crop in the ground at this time.
where at in washington is he located. I live in washington too, and im trying to learn as much about this as i can. not to mention when i finally get a place of my own, i plan on producing my own bio???

jorylee

Old 03-01-2008, 11:41 PM
TchTchr
Senior User
I agree with the evolution of this thread. I've also learned a new word - "Camelina". I never knew of the plant before this thread. Here is an idea for a possible seeding location: the median and sides of our interstates. What do you think?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
JORYLEE
I think he is around Arlington

Old 03-02-2008, 03:29 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TchTchr
Here is an idea for a possible seeding location: the median and sides of our interstates. What do you think?
I'm not saying it's a bad idea...but you'd have an issue with "run off" in the spring when the soil is plowed for planting...and the area to be seeded gets a gully washer (Murphy is always in the way). Then come harvest time you have the dust related to the combines and the equipment crossing the highway to do the harvesting or empty the bins of the combines. I don't know about the drivers in your state, but around here....the rubber neckers are the ones backing traffic up, not the accident. I can see someone staring and the operation making sure they're doing it right and plows (pun intended) to the person in front of them or a piece of equipment crossing the road. Oklahoma leases out some of the R-O-W along state highways to a company that cuts it for hair...when they are bailing the hail is a bad time to in the area. The dusk blowing across the road makes it hard to see what is going on ahead of you. Like I said, it's not a bad idea...just there are some liabilities that could make things ugly. Remember, this is the country were folks are surprised the coffee is hot when you buy it at McDonalds.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:28 AM
TchTchr
Senior User
Originally Posted by zhilton
I'm not saying it's a bad idea...but you'd have an issue with "run off" in the spring when the soil is plowed for planting...and the area to be seeded gets a gully washer (Murphy is always in the way). Then come harvest time you have the dust related to the combines and the equipment crossing the highway to do the harvesting or empty the bins of the combines. I don't know about the drivers in your state, but around here....the rubber neckers are the ones backing traffic up, not the accident. I can see someone staring and the operation making sure they're doing it right and plows (pun intended) to the person in front of them or a piece of equipment crossing the road. Oklahoma leases out some of the R-O-W along state highways to a company that cuts it for hair...when they are bailing the hail is a bad time to in the area. The dusk blowing across the road makes it hard to see what is going on ahead of you. Like I said, it's not a bad idea...just there are some liabilities that could make things ugly. Remember, this is the country were folks are surprised the coffee is hot when you buy it at McDonalds.

Points well taken.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:08 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Plus, there are too many obstacles in the ROW's too. Everything from waterways, trash, colverts, etc.

I too agree with the evolution. Almost feels like we are brainstorming instead of just asking "why is fuel priced so high."

Old 03-02-2008, 05:16 PM
HAB
Senior User
What is the growing range for Camelina. How far south particularly.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:46 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
What a minute. Are we talking about Cameline, aka False Flax???

If thats the case, I doubt think you'll find it south of the Minnesota border. Although, I think Flax seed production is mostly done in Texas and Cali.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:58 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FARM69
What a minute. Are we talking about Cameline, aka False Flax???

If thats the case, I doubt think you'll find it south of the Minnesota border. Although, I think Flax seed production is mostly done in Texas and Cali.
What about the Palm oil I heard mention a couple of messages back? South Texas isn't exactly known for it's snow fall or frost lines. I know the state I live grows allot of cotton in the delta plain area. How does cotton seed oil compair to the other oil in yeild? I'll be the first to admit I'm a city slicker, but I do my part to support my fellow Americans in rual Americans. I proudly run B20 in my truck....and I'd run higher if I could get it retail.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:11 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you can grow wheat you can grow camelina, for more info try here: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/p...93/v2-314.html

http://www.agmrc.org/agmrc/commodity...eeds/camelina/

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=CASA2

I wouldn't expect to see much acreage planted until the price of wheat drops below $5 per bushel. Why would I grow camelina for $200 an acre, if wheat pays $400?

I do have Camelina test plots this year to establish a base line for production. If and when the value of growing camelina exceeds the price of wheat, I'll consider growing it myself.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:32 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
I thought palm oil was somewhere around 40%? I looked into that some time ago. In any case, it's a lot higher than soybeans.

False Flax looks promising. It's low nitrogen demand would be a big factor in getting people to switch over to it.

The wheat market would have to bottom out completly in order for people to switch from it. As of right now there seems to be no demand for it. Right now Hard Red Spring wheat is getting close to $20 dollars a bushel and Hard Red Winter around $12. So right now those boys up in ND are making over a thousand an acre.

If we used palm oil on a large scale production I think you would see a faster increase in some food prices. I was surprised what palm oil is all used for.

In any case it would be years before we could create a camelina economy.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:25 PM
mayt444
New User
The answer to the question of why don't oil companies invest money into bio fuel production research is, they are! We here in America didn't make the switch from whale oil to kerosene in our lamps until someone figured out how to economicaly turn crude oil into kerosene for less then it cost to send men in ships out to kill whales. The same will happen to bio fuel. And think about that the next time you drive your SUV down to BK to buy a burger and fries that took less oil to cook then it took you to drive there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bio Fuel Reality Check - finally