Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel Filter Doesnt Want to Come Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 04:22 PM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter Doesnt Want to Come Out

Picked up a new fuel filter at NAPA yesterday, and went to change it today. Of course its 20 below and a howling wind but hey, i love my powerstroke. Thought it was gonna be a quick, easy job, so i popped the cap off and went to slip the old one out but it didnt want to budge. I havnt changed the powerstrokes before. Am i missin something? Or is it just my lucky day? Sorry for the stupid question, but i dont wanna go reefing on it and break something cause i had a brain fart and forgot something.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:34 PM
dryfly
Elder User
If you bought your filter at napa.You have to get the lid{$10}from them also.Your truck came with that two piece filter design.Somewhere along the way someone put a one piece filter and lid combo on.You get them at cetain other parts stores.They say the original design{two piece] is best.so just get a new lid and you;ll be set.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:36 PM
griff64
Junior User
The one I got was from Kragen and had top built in and was fairly hard to get off... from o-ring I think, had to wiggle it ba
ck and forth. hope this helps. Dave

I think he has the two piece type...

Last edited by griff64; 02-09-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your lid came right off there should be nothing to removing the filter element. 20 below zero and you're doing this? Are you crazy? Can't you just get your finger in there and wiggle it around? I have never seen or heard of this before. Try some needle nose pliers and just pull up on it. Mystery to me.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:40 PM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
The filter i got at NAPA looks exactly the same from what i can tell. The one from NAPA also looks like the two piece. Outter shell and then the inner filter. The lid comes off fine, but then the filter is in there really stiff. I thought the o ring as well but wasnt postive. Thought i might be forgetting something.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:41 PM
dryfly
Elder User
Oh I misunderstood the post.Its stuck in the bowl.Sorry

Old 02-09-2008, 04:47 PM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
Originally Posted by Markadeck
If your lid came right off there should be nothing to removing the filter element. 20 below zero and you're doing this? Are you crazy? Can't you just get your finger in there and wiggle it around? I have never seen or heard of this before. Try some needle nose pliers and just pull up on it. Mystery to me.
Yes, i have been told i am a little crazy. Could be somthing to do with it runnin in the family, or workin on the diamond drills for two years. The lid came off no prob, but the filter is very solid. I managed to budge it a bit but not very much. Perhaps ill take it into the company shop in town and try it again out of the cold. I was hoping to do it while the motor was cold. Didnt know how much fuel i might spill.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:48 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Might have a small amt of water in the bottom of the bowl that's frozen,you said -20 degree's,holding the filter down

Old 02-09-2008, 04:51 PM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
Originally Posted by poppie
Might have a small amt of water in the bottom of the bowl that's frozen,you said -20 degree's,holding the filter down
That makes sense. Its about a 20 minute drive to town, motor shouldnt get too warm, but perhaps it will get warm enough that i will be able to get the filter out if thats what it is. How do i drain that bowl? Must be a little petcock of sometype on the back?

Old 02-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, at the rear of the filter bowl there is a yellow handled drain valve. I would put it back together at home and let it run long enough to get good and warm. Still cost you less in fuel than driving into town. Get it hot, take it apart right away the damn thing should come right out.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:54 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
When you get it to the shop crawl under the truck and onthe front of the engine pass.side you will see a steel line or tube that just ends thats your drain tube for your fuel filter. Get a piece of hose and slide on it long enough you can drain it into something then open the drain valve on the filter canister the yellow handle on the pass side and you can drain the fuel out.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:56 PM
dryfly
Elder User
Yep yellow handle on the back left.Move towards the rear 90*.While your in town you may want to pick up some diesel 911.Its in a red bottle.Id will do the trick if you really get frozen with those temps.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:06 PM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
I have a bottle of Meltdown ice and water treatment of the gelled fuel. It doesnt seem to be tho. Starts and runs fine. Run conditioner like a religion as well. I will try that right now. Thanks guys.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:56 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
If the problem is not ice related, check to make sure an O-ring from an old filter didn't come off and is wedged in under the new filter. You may have 2 O-rings down at the bottom that's wedging everything in tight.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:25 PM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
I let in run on high idle for a bit and drove around afterwards to get it good and warm. Pulled it in my shack behind the tractor, and it popped out quite easy. Drained and flushed out the bowl, went and fueled up and was generous with the conditioner, so hopefully that should help if there was any water in there.

Oh yeah, it helps to remember to shut that little valve too once your done. Wheres the stupid icon? Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Doesnt Want to Come Out