Info on TT and hensley arrow

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Info on TT and hensley arrow

I am starting to look for a TT. I was looking at the Sprinter 311BHS (by Keystone). I will be towing with a 2007 F350 CC DRW and was also wondering if the hensley hitch is worth the extra money.I live in New England but want to travel with the kids and see this great country. Any info on or experience with these two products would be a great help. Thank you.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:34 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
nice work truck,

I tow with a Hensley Arrow.

Is it worth the money?...well that one is a personal decision. For me...it was.

There are some really effective WD and Sway control hitches out there...there is no doubt IMO the Hensley and ProPride are two of the BEST.

BTW...if you didn't know...ProPride is a new company that is manufacturing a pivot point projection hitch (same as Hensley). In fact, Jim Hensley, the inventor of the Hensley Arrow has designed a new version for ProPride. The main differences are how the hitch head mounts to the trailer A-Frame. The sway characteristics while yet unproven I wouldn't expect anything but the same proven smooth towing. http://propridehitch.com/index.html

I believe Sean (President of ProPride) is still offering a $500 discount but I'm not sure...so you can get a ProPride for $2000 vs the Hensley $3000...just a thought.

Now...onto your situation...where many go with a Hensely style hitch is because wheelbase is NOT in their favor. YOU have a DRW truck with likely 158" of wheelbase?...I would be VERY SURPRISED to find that your TV required a Hensley style hitch. The added stability YOU will get from the DRW's...man...I would highly recommend the Equal-I-zer BRAND or Reese Dual Cam (DC) for your situation. BOTH of these are VERY effective at distributing load AND controlling sway.

You can pick up a 1200# Equal-I-zer from RVwholesalers for under $400!!! http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/product.php?productid=2876&cat=0&page=1

For your TV and TT combo...I would go this route...and if you are set on a pivot point projection (3P) style hitch...well the ProPride will save you about $1000 right now...

Good luck,
joe.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Thank you for the info and link Joe. The main reason I was looking at it is because I just want to keep the family safe while traveling (and the wife calm ha ha!)with the way some people drive today(especially in the north east)

Old 02-09-2008, 05:54 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
No problem...and as you see...I tow with a Hensley...so we need to do what makes US comfortable...I hope I didn't come of as telling you that you didn't NEED a Hensley...cause that wasn't my intent...

When I bought my Hensley there was no option other than it...well there is the Pull-Rite but the mounting options on my Excursion were HORRIBLE...so the Hensley was my only option.

For you...you really do have options today...I didn't mention Pull-Rite...that should be in your mix as well. It mounts up under your truck and the pivot point is very close to your rear axle...it enjoys GREAT TRUE mechanical advantage by placing the REAL pivot point there vs the pivot point projection method of using geometry to achieve that. There are some downsides to the 3P approach over the Pull-Rite IMO go over to RV.net and in the search feature type 'henlsey bump'...you will have hours if not days of reading... but there are downsides to the Pull-Rite too...it is more vehicle specific...so if you are one that changes vehicles frequently...well the hitch is ON the truck...you may be able to get new brackets if you stick with a DRW truck...so more decisions...sorry.

If it were me...today...and I was wanting to keep momma happy and the family safe...I'd seriously look at the ProPride....I mean for $1000 LESS...it is kinda a no brainer...and if you call ProPride...tell Sean Joe (X_hemi) said HELLO!

Good luck,
joe.

Last edited by X_Hemi_Guy; 02-09-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Thanks - you are so helpful. I will definitely check out the Propride. But I dont think the Pull-rite will work because I have a 9' enclosed utility body on a cab & chasis. That is why I can't go to a 5th wheel. I have a 6'x10' dump that has been well over 10'000 lbs on a pintle with a GCVW of 23'000 lbs. I have a 6.0 with 4"turbo back, SCT Livewire(tunes by Matt) , and a AFE intake and it pulls great.Thanks again. Andy

Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Nice Work Truck
Thanks - you are so helpful. I will definitely check out the Propride. But I dont think the Pull-rite will work because I have a 9' enclosed utility body on a cab & chasis. That is why I can't go to a 5th wheel. I have a 6'x10' dump that has been well over 10'000 lbs on a pintle with a GCVW of 23'000 lbs. I have a 6.0 with 4"turbo back, SCT Livewire(tunes by Matt) , and a AFE intake and it pulls great.Thanks again. Andy
Nice Work Truck,

I tried to send you a PM but you don't accept them...can you send me one as I have something I need to share with you regarding the discount above...

Thanks,
joe.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:22 PM
05Expy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work truck,

I have a 29ft TT that I tow with a 05 expy. I have used the Reese Dual Cam and other weight dist. hitches before getting a hensley, (Keep in mind my wheel base is 119) The hensely is by far the best set up I have towed with. I can honestly say I have no sway what so ever. It is expensive but for me the saftey factor over rode that. but like X hemi said your truck should a great TV. it is all a matter of personel comfort.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
X-Hemi_Guy sorry, but it has been a crazy week I just went in and changed my settings, so you should be able to send me something now. Let me know if you are still unable to. Thanks again...

Old 02-14-2008, 08:21 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Nice Work Truck,

Don't apologize for having a tough week!

I just sent you an email...let me know if you don't get it.

joe.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I tow my 28' Weekend Warrior with a Hensley. I've been very happy with it's performance. Some forums have mentioned it's difficult to line up when hitching, but I've not had problems with that.

X_Hemi_Guy has the rest covered for you.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:49 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
For those that have 'heard' the Hensley can be difficult to hitch...

I'm in 100% agreement with Kepler4...I hitch BY MYSELF with the aid of a mirror. Alignment is critical...but as I said...I do it MYSELF with no assistance from the wife or anyone else...in fact when someone 'tries' to assist...I simply ignore their direction and watch my mirror...

Here's a Hensley installed for those that have never seen one.

And here is the mirror I use to hitch with. It can easily be installed over the tail gate of a pick up and has suction cups for other applications...

This is the 'stinger' in my Ex receiver...

Here's what I see...

The ProPride would hitch the same way...actually I'm told easier as the angles on the stinger (the bar attached to my Ex) are changed to allow for easier engagement over the Hensley...

Hope this helps...

joe.