1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Have cash need title for a 1955 Ford F250

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:58 AM
1959f14x4
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have cash need title for a 1955 Ford F250

Hello i need a title for a 1955 F250. I will buy a title for a f250 in the era of the 1950's. I just need something.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:08 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the hope of helping avoid future troubles; In most States it is illegle to obtain and or use falseified documents for registration of vehicles.
I know for many years that titles etc have been for sale, trade, whatever all over the place. Recently however there has been a nation wide effort to crack down on this practice.

I would hate to see someone spend money on something then eith not be able to use it or be arrested for trying to do so.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:20 AM
1959f14x4
Freshman User
I don't think some cops could tell you a difference between a 1955 ford and a 1980 Ford. THe only way is to look at the vin. THe vin on my truck is hidden.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:43 AM
panningbros
Freshman User
It is a hassle to apply for a new title, but in the long run it is worth it. Then it is correct. Go to your local license division & they should have the info you need to do it.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:39 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You asked a question, while my answer does not provide a direct answer it does provide important information directly related to the subject.
As always you need to do whatever it takes to float your own boat.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:49 AM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
I had a friend that is a mech, do a labor lien on mine to get the title. I should have mine in a couple weeks. Hope this helps.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:04 AM
DyceDesign
Senior User
Originally Posted by panningbros
It is a hassle to apply for a new title, but in the long run it is worth it. Then it is correct. Go to your local license division & they should have the info you need to do it.
The problem with that (here in Ohio at least) is your vehicle has to go through a vigorous inspection by the state highway patrol. You had better have every reicpt possible and if you are useing an engine from another vehicle you need that title (to show proof of ownership) or a certified copy of the title showing it as a salvage or parts title. It is a long drawn out process to go through and in the end if your paperwork isn't all there, they reserve the right to send your vehicle to the crusher...I've been through this a couple of times with choppers I built...Then if you do pass the inspection you will get a NEW title stating that you vehicle is either a 2008 custom construction or 2008 home construction title. (by titling it as a 2008 here in ohio, that will force you to meet E Check guidelines as well meaning you will have to install all required emission controls for the current year) better off doing something along the lines of what Rusty50F1 said. Because if you buy a title there is no gaurentee that that title is clear...you really wont know until you go to transfer the title.....

Old 02-08-2008, 10:20 AM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Title

In the last couple months there was a request for this same information and there were many suggestions that may interest you. Check back for this article. In many states the DMV sends you to a lawyer and you incure his cost and court cost to obtain what the DMV will require to accept your VIN and issue a title for them. I've heard of three/four hundred dollars in cost for this. It is the legal way to do this. I've also seen titles/vin tags on ebay, craigslist.com, local newspapers, truck clubs, salvage yards. Many builders that need parts buy a trashed out truck/car for spare parts.Have a great day,chuck

Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Does Ohio have a procedure for obtaining a duplicate title?

How about using one of the online title search companies? (do a google search for "search for car titles" or something along those lines. I tried one of those one time, I figured it was worth the $30 or whatever they charged.....they did the search for me and couldn't find anything. On the bright side, they didn't charge me either.

On my 49, here in NM, I couldn't find the previous owner. I had to produce a "Bill of Sale". I also had to trailer the truck to DMV and have them physically read the VIN# and run a NCIC check on it. After that, since it came back and not being stolen in any state it was a matter of getting a surety bond ($100) and paying for the registration.

When you talk to your DMV people, if you are butting heads from the get go, leave that office and try another one. Its kind of like searching for a needle in a haystack but there are friendly and helpful people at DMV's.....somewhere

Bobby

Old 02-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Brocky
New User
If you have a friend in either Vermont or Alabama get ahold of them. These states do not require a title on anything over 15 years old. Your friend can register it in that state, then sell you the vehicle and your state has to accept the registration and bill of sale in lieu of a title. In SC a DMV inspector came to the house and verified the serial number during the titleing process. This is a legal process and much safer than a "store bought" title.
Good luck and have fun at the DMV office
Brocky

Old 02-09-2008, 10:10 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Makes me wonder how Broadway Title sells them for 150.00 and skirt the new laws in every state. I would look into the "abandoned vehicle" process also. It still works in Colo. and now there is a bill in legis to allow auto repair shops to easily apply for title. Then all it will take is a "friend" in the biz.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Broadway does not sell titles. They research your vin and if it is clear they provide a notarized bill of sale you can take to your license agent. I had a legitimate title for my 40 Ford tudor that my local agent would not accept because they could not verify the seller because the title was not notarized. The title was last changed in another state in 1955. Joe

Old 02-09-2008, 10:48 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Joe, thanks for clearing that up. That sounds like something a guy can do himself here in CO. I wonder if the BT bill of sale is accepted in most states.

Jon

Old 02-09-2008, 11:18 PM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
Most states wont let you use the broadway titles deal anymore. I think their in Alabama where you need a bill of sale to get a title then they send you the info and your state would let you get a new title like it was bought in Alabama. If you check your staes info it will say no longer accepting bills of sales from the states listed.
Its most of the states like IL, OH, MI etc that had so many of these bills of sales come from Alabama and Georgia.
My truck came out of Iowa. The PO couldnt find the title and doesnt give a crap about helping me get one. I contacted the Iowa DMV. They want a bill of sale and an inspection. IM not trailering my truck to Iowa for that. Even if you have to bite the bullet and buy a junker with a clear title its easier than that.
Ohio makes you do an out of state vehicle inspection. Its simple and I never had one look for a frame number as long as the plate on the wall was clear.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:54 PM
broncobilly72
New User
Anyone here happen to have any experience titling in WI (trying to obtain a title for a vehicle sans title)? I just bought a 53 F250 a few months back in NE. I plan on trailering the 53 home to WI, over the Memorial Day weekend. The truck was saved from the wreckers by the seller. I plan on having him get a notarized bill of sale. I ran the vin through the NICB stolen vehicle database. That came up negative. Due to the condition of the 53, I am assuming it was abandoned in a farmer field. I don't plan on working on the truck, until I can get the 53 titled.

Quick Reply: Have cash need title for a 1955 Ford F250