1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

75 E250 column to 53 F100

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:35 AM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
75 E250 column to 53 F100

As the title say.........finally get a chance to work on "my" truck as opposed to everyone else's
I have a Volare clip and steering box and a steering column out of a 75 E250 camper van. I was wondering if anyone has done this swap to their truck?
I like the column as it is just a plain tube, with signal lights and a shifter..... no ignition switch...keys belong on the dash
At first glance it seems a little long, approx 34"...... but I wont be able to really tell til I removed the PO's monstrosity that fills up 1/2 the cab......well maybe not 1/2 the cab but it is huge.....just wondering if anyone has installed this setup.
I am using the entire setup from the van, column, mount, brake pedal etc....so it will all bolt together just wondering about the length?
Thanks for any info. Oh I have read the article, and many many posts but I did not see where anyone used a column from a 75......a 78 yes....which I seem to recall are the same so.........

Old 02-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Sparky, I'm planning on using the same column, but mine is from a regular '72 model van not a 250 but the same column. Anyway, I'm like you I think the column is a little too long, but I think I might just cut it down. I think you can cut the tube off, and then cut the column shaft itself down? Then just have to move the bearing up to the new location? I'm not sure, as I'm where you were I'm working on EVERYONE ELSE's stuff!! I'd really like to get back to mine so I can change somethings before this year's show season starts.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:27 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sparky , I can not give you any info on your column , what I wii offer is a hint , the column ,seat armpit method worked for me,..it's gotta feel good!! ...the next problem is ,will that work-out in the engine bay steering connection?? If not you need to make compromises...But you already knew that didn't you?? Just my 02# Good Luck!!

Old 02-03-2008, 04:57 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Well I spent couple hours tearing the "old" column and mounts out, then had to go fix a furnace, then rebuild an alternator, then back to the truck for an hour or so....... now it is Super Bowl time........
Anyway, the column doesn't really seem to line up with the Dodge steering box and fit to the dash at a good angle.... although I had the seat all the way down for room..... I may have to hook up the battery and raise the seat some to see if I get the "proper cruising attitude"
I wish it was a tilt column May have to use this one for mockup and then find a tilting one............... of course there is a 92 Eldorado in my pile of parts maybe it does not need its column.......

Old 02-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sparky you didn't say it wasn't a tilt column, I assumed it was. That is definately alot of work for a NONtilting column. Mine is a tilt. Did you see the thread I started a few months ago titled Awesome Problem Solver? I posted a link to a place called Wizard engineering and they make a chain drive setup for offsetting a column to make the correct angle. It's very pricey, but it would definately work for you!

Old 02-03-2008, 07:28 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
I have a Flaming River column, a modified stock column drop with a Volare front susp.

I set the column near the top of the origninal floor opening and then made a new cover for the large hole.

The column drop was cut and the angle modified to match the column angle. I am using a 3/4 inch dropped stock seat and it works great. I would not be concerned about not having a tilt, mine seems to be worthless sense I never move it (you would think I would know better this isn't my first 56).

I will make a new gallery showing my installation in the morning.

Chuck

Old 02-03-2008, 09:41 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info...... actually the column I removed has tilt and I never used it. The problem with it was the size of the mounts the PO used...... they were actually so big I could not install the heater/defroster box in the stock location. Also the brake pedal was on the wrong side of the column and there was not really enough room for a gas pedal.
I started out just planning on putting in the heater... but oops steering column mount is in the way..... so remove the column....... I had the camper van in the parts pile so....why not replace the brake pedal and it's huge mount at the same time........ then of course there is the PO's shift linkage which also was huge and involved several levers, bellcranks, standoffs....very very complicated. Which is why I wanted to use the camper van's column hoping to use all the stock linkage, with some minor adjustments, so I did not have to "re-invent the wheel" so to speak.
I hope I can make this column work, if not I will have to find another as I do not want to reinstall the 400 lbs of metal I removed with the "old" column
Anyway, back to work tomorrow......but there is always next weekend to finish it....yeah like something is ever finished

Old 02-04-2008, 06:50 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
OK, If you would like to look in my gallery you will get a idea how I mounted my column

Old 02-04-2008, 08:24 AM
sparky
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by merc546
OK, If you would like to look in my gallery you will get a idea how I mounted my column
Thanks, that clears up my cluttered mind some...... That is about how I had mine lined up.....except I never thought of using a drop bracket....duh I was fixated on using the mount from the van....now I think I have a plan in my head that will work.
I guess I was too worried about missing the Super Bowl and never turned my brain on.
Out of curiosity how long is the column you used? By the way very nice job you did there......thanks again for the pics to restart my mind

Old 02-04-2008, 09:55 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
Thank you. If I remember it is about 31 inches long.

It took me about 3 days to find the sweet spot for the column. The idea was to turn the wheel and have no kinks in the steering and of coarse fit the seat. Must have made 3 or four intermediate shafts but it works perfect so it was worth the work (just cutting smaller or larger shafts)

Have fun, Chuck

Old 02-04-2008, 10:48 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Sparky,

Here is my column.

It is similiar to you dimensionally but has some differences. It had a key on the column which has since been removed and filled with all locking mechanisms removed. It is an OD column that works with the AOD I have. Your column falls in a interchange range by itself 75-77. In 1978 Ford had van columns both with and w/o the key on the column. 79 was with key on column. My column has worked well since 03. I think yours can work to. You can modify the original column mount at the dash to hold the column up. Thanks Donald

Old 02-04-2008, 11:02 AM
sparky
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Wow does that column ever look familiar.......thanks for the pics... and once again another very nice finished product
After seeing those pics I am sure the column I have will work, and since I have not yet developed the "intestinal cavity expansion" normally associated with late forties type bodies, room between the seat and the column should be fine...... At least for a few years
Soon as I get a chance off to the parts boxes to find the stock drop mount...pretty sure I seen one or two of them in there somewhere.......