1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

93 f150 sitting by my 51

Old 02-02-2008, 11:17 AM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 93 f150 sitting by my 51

Here is my problem, I know its not in this year, but you guys are the one I count on. Problem:

I have a 93 F150. I had several brake lines break. I replaced the back passenger from the block over to the rear passenger wheel cylinder. I was bleeding the brakes and the long line from front to back brakes broke. I replaced it and began to bleed brakes again. The bleeding on driver rear cylinder broke off. It is not leaking fluid, but can not bleed the line. Blead all other lines but pedal still goes to the floor. I can pump it up, but after sitting for a few minutes, it goes right back to the floor. Any suggestions? Will the one not being blead cause this or is it the master cylinder and booster?

Thanks for the help...Kevin

Old 02-02-2008, 04:41 PM
going slow
Senior User
u can try and blead that wheel cyl. at the line..u might still have some air in there...but if thats not it ...maybe the master cyl is bad and allowing pressure to pass by?

Old 02-02-2008, 05:17 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
You probably got air in the rear ABS module. If you want to get all the air out the best way is with a pressurized bleeder.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:18 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
I"d say..#1 double ck all connections #2..make sure m/c fluid level ok #3 Bleed system per manual..LF,RF,LR,RR..using method above(crack the line)
Pedal still sinking?..Good pressure when bleeding RR? Probably air in system LR.
Take LR caliper off(loosen line..remove mount bolts..spin caliper off hose)
Heat bleeder screw..CAREFULLY..so as not to damage internals) to a soft red color,drop caliper in bucket of water,attempt bleeder screw removal.Good Luck!!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:22 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
If the lines are breaking that easily, I'd replace them all. When bleeding, you always want to start with the passenger rear, then driver rear, passenger front and finally driver front. That's from the longest lines to the shortest.

For the bleeder that broke off, I'd pull it (wheel cylinder) and replace the whole cylinder for all the more expensive they are. Or you can mess around and try to get the broken one out. [IF you have drums on the back]

A system that looses prime like that usually has some master cylinder issues. Again, a new rebuilt unit isn't too expensive and your life is worth it.

Last edited by mtflat; 02-02-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:35 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Kevin,

I am not surprised that you are having brake line failures. They are prone to rust and you live in an area where rust will occur. I replaces all lines on my 95 Lincoln about 3 or 4 years ago. Brake line lifetime less than 10 years. It was a days work on my back. Not fun.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:23 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
OOPPS!! My Goof!!..Sorry All , BRAKES 101 ..Bleed the longest line 1st! You"ve got rear ABS Module?..Wheel cylinders??
I work on Acura"s all day ,my message would fix that..with a power bleeder, I think I need more time off ..sorry , I"ll try to watch myself in the future.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:48 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Chris, I was typing when you posted - made me wonder if I should get the book out and refresh my memory. lol And I don't know if half-tons in the early 90's had drums or calipers on the back. So I am guessing a bit..... free help is all good, right?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:49 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
If one line goes, they all go. Sooner than later. Moisture developed in the lines will rust all the lines out, and not just one. That said, I've broken bleeders off before, and have removed them with an EZ out after some propane torch heat was applied. My 2 cents.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:04 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
mtflat ,I hear ya! ..LoL Just trying to help ,being the fix-it -kinda people we are , I usually catch myself ,knowing dang -well I dont know all the "particulars" ..sorry Kevin,Sorry all, ...but thats funny!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 603 Likes on 375 Posts
Can any of your Nawtheners in the rust belt tell me if Toyota Camry's that age might be susceptible to that kind of failure? My mother still lives in Chicago and has a '95, it's in good shape otherwise but I would never have thought any modern car wouldn't have SS or epoxy-coated brake lines.

I hear they have run out of salt in northern Illinois, they've spread so much this year... and it isn't over!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:30 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove my 99 GMC van to my Florida home last yr.,and it had some brake issues. When the mechanic called- we went down to pick it up and the guy said- where the heck are you from? This here truck is rusted like no other he had ever seen. The brake and gas lines were shot,and he replaced them---but I got underneath and looked and laughed---a little surface rust and he wanted me to junk it!!!! LOL LOL In the north,they do rust,but on the lake erie shoreline---they just dissintigrate haha!! BILL

Old 02-02-2008, 07:49 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
My 89 che*y needed 2lines replaced before 10 yrs , then it started leaking fuel ( between bed/fuel tank, I just took it off the road for a "Line-Rehab" , but it had seen alot of saltwater on the coast.Like Havi says ,once they start..just do them all.
Oh yeah! ,Even the clutch line rusted thru..I"d let someone borrow my truck to move some stuff and left them stranded....they felt guilty and fixed that one ,I"ll bet that was a pain in the a#$!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:55 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Hey Kevin!, Can we "officially" hijack this thread and re name it-Brake-line stories", what a bad time of year to have to be fixin .brake-lines! Any luck with that diagnosis on your 93 truck??

Old 02-02-2008, 07:59 PM
49fordf1
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hi,
i dont get to chime in my opinion to much here...someone always seems to beat me to it... but up here in New England they spread enough salt to sink a ship... and let me tell u...its killing every vehicle on the road... i have an 02 f350 for my work truck and plow vehicle and ive simply stopped looking under it because it makes me sick... the way vehicles rust away these days is simply sickening....i work on all the new stuff everyday ( day job) and its rediculas how many cars i restring w/ brake lines every week...just about every make and model...that and brake rotors...my brake lathe has a nice filmcoat of dust on it because it rarely gets used these days...every rotor i take off is flaking away like its been sitting in th ocean for a few yrs... and the ones that dont look to bad are usually filled w/ pockets of rust w/in the surface.....im sure u can imagine the responce i get when i tell someone they need new rotors at 25-30k miles....noone believes me untill i show them..... Alb' the worst part is alot of teh earlier camry's string the fuel lines and brake lines together in a plastic tray that just holds all the sand/salt/moisture.....
i think about this often and try to jogg my memory...i just dont remember cars/trucks being so prone to this kind of rust/rot a handful of yrs ago....i assume its what they are being made of these days.....its rediculas..... uknow its bad when u go after a 14-15mm bolt head and have it flake away to roughly a 9-10 mm.....and mind u this is on 5-7 yr old vehicles...,,, guess i should have placed this under a "rant and rave" topic...

Search this Thread