1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Flat black ...Satin black...what to do?

Old 01-31-2008, 05:51 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool48 , You might have to go on a few "road-trips"..differernt car shows where you might..expect..to see something your looking for ,you might get lucky and find out the owner of said ride , also painted it ...from thereyou can get a little more ..technical., My 1st question would be How about spot repairs/how forgiving?? I personaly like a lightly tinted acrylic enamel ,then do your artwork over that with a compatable product,go thru your "distressed-tecnique" if desired..and if you dont like it ..sowhat?? Compound it out and start all over again...maybe want to put a couple xtra coats on the doors..just my 02%. I dont have to tell you how difficult paint..CAN..be under ideal conditions ,that said ,a discriminating eye such as you may have , might just pick this job apart to the point its not "fun" anymore..see where I"m going with this?? Take the stress out of it by allowing it to be repaintable...and have FUN with it!!

Old 01-31-2008, 06:18 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,108 Likes on 2,642 Posts
Eastwoods has a paint called rat rod black, it's a two part, product #21855. The guys on Trucks TV used it on project old school

Old 01-31-2008, 06:19 PM
greythorn3
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i love that look.. shiney paint is nice too though.. i guess i like anything really except gay colors.

Ray

Old 01-31-2008, 07:41 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does that mean greythorne , ya dont like the pastel colours of the 80's ?? i hear they're all the rage again !!!!!LOL.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:28 AM
Oz52F1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
flat black looks **** after a while and you get sick to death of the sight of it.

satin is just a function of amount of flattener used. can look awesome with HEAVY pearl in a BRIGHT color......but you better spray the top coat on nice and even, coz you cant just 'colorsand' it.

Its just not much more work to do nice, glossy paint......just takes a little more bondo. There's nuttin like washing and polishing a paint job you done yourself, and just bringing it back up again and again.

You dont want your base peeling or reacting under the lettering that you're trying to show-off.

and.......(drum roll please)......FAKE OLD ALWAYS LOOKS GAY......and NOT in a fashionable 'metrosexual' kinda way......I mean.....its like getting a chest wig or something...just completely wrong from any conceivable angle....

Old 02-01-2008, 03:52 AM
low54
Elder User
DP90 Satin w/red scallops or flames!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
hey low have you been to any unfinished rod shows or for that fact any show lately ? that's the point i was trying to make in my first reply , it has become all the rage to do flatblack and red is the most used accent colour . it's way overdone as it's the cool thing amongst all walks to go for the i hate to use this phrase any more , rat rod look . was gonna do it to one of mine and decided against it as i really dont want to look like so many other's . cool i talked to a buddy of mine and he said the best way is paint the truck then clear it with some flattener in it like some of us have suggested . he owns a body shop here in town so i geuss he knows about it . peace out and do what ya want as it's yer's not ours guy . just remember we wantz pikturez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lot of 'em !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 04:33 AM
low54
Elder User
55' How 'bout flat rust!...the cool thing is with DP90 is you can fix as you go...when your ready to paint your "color," K prime...and your set...Yeah, DP may be over rated, but in the old days guys needed to "save their work/work as they go." so they primed it...flat rust or blk...sure better than primer grey...hince..."rat look." now its been marketed and chi ching!

Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 AM
cool 48
Senior User
Hey Ozz ,and a couple of other here, it kind of concerns me when the word gay is used two or three times in a thread. I started this thing asking if anyone had used the base / clear sytem using the flattener. Now we are into all of this gay talk. What's up with that? I aggree there are some things that are overdone,and get kind of boring to look at .To say my idea on the logo for my business is gay, Who the H#LL are you? This is a daily driver ,not a truck that a 20 year old wants to drive either. But, I have a picture in my mind of how I wnat it to look ,and I can see it finished already . It is pearl white right now. I considered another pearl color, but still like the satin black. I have in the past started building a bike, then mid stream, changed my mind about what type of tranny to use or something major like that.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:17 AM
low54
Elder User
I agree lets refrain from any derogitory verbage. we're all inputing our two cents, 48 new to the site, treat him as though you were a new comer OZZ which you R...so mind youself...got it?

Old 02-01-2008, 07:04 AM
cool 48
Senior User
There are a couple of other forums that I used to visit, but they have gotten into the what s cool and whats not thing. I can't believe how heated it has gotten at times. Not sure who is moderating those forums,but this one seems to be populated with folks who bust their butt for a living ,and just want to have their old truck. The sites with the posers and wanna bees I try to stay away from. Anyway, I will post photos of the truck as I go. It should turn out very cool. It is kind of a show piece for my bike shop. All have a great day

Old 02-01-2008, 07:06 AM
low54
Elder User
take it easy, welcome again to the site

Old 02-01-2008, 07:59 AM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Good Luck Cool , As 55350 says "I'ts your ride ,your vision ....and we want ..PICTURES!!" I think it will be fine anyway you go .
Ditto. Low54"s addition..Welcome!!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:13 AM
edsf100
Posting Guru
Steve Stillwells black 56 with Colorado wheels, TCI frame. Lighting 4.6 motor. Paint looks good

Satin Flat Black

Old 02-01-2008, 08:13 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I just received my subscription copy of Street Rod Builder yesterday, and there is an extensive how to article in there on faux patina painting including aged lettering. They didn't use an air brush for it tho. A lot of clever "tricks" to imitate surface rust etc.
If you are going to weather/distress the lettering, why worry about protecting it? Any additional wear/weathering will just "improve" it? The only thing I would say is don't just use a standard single component primer as your base color, they are porous and will rust underneath if exposed to the weather. Some just use the base coat portion of BC CC and don't clear it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flat black ...Satin black...what to do?