looking for somthing more loud. ranger

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 PM
whitebassbenny
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for somthing more loud. ranger

Hello, I have a 94 ranger 4L. Im looking for a more loud exhaust sound in/outside the truck and at idle. I have had a cherry bomb turbo on it and it was ok but not loud enought for my likeing. I just picked up a flowmaster 40 2 days ago and it sounds good but again just not loud enought for my taste and kinda alot more then i wanted to spend at $95. I was looking for a louder muffler that is not a glasspack and would like to stay under like 80 or so. I also thought about getting a high flow cat which i think might make some more sound but was not sure. Im running the stock pipe which is 2" and end in back of the wheel on the right. I look at the Hooker Headers Maximum Flow Muffler which i thought would be louder b/c it's more straight through the muffler so it would put off more sound better.

what would u recommend for somthing more loud ?

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:58 AM
rebelyell618
Elder User
you could always go with cherrybomb/imco extreme... the muffler looks like a toy but it is loud.. Plus it is like 55 bucks.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_767133_-1_10265

or you could just go with a exhaust cut out which is like 30 bucks.

edit.. look up cherrybomb extreme on youtube but here is one from a 99 ranger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQDdiocS5HQ

Last edited by rebelyell618; 01-30-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Highflow cats will help a little with the noise, but you should be aware that once that 4.0L V6 starts getting too loud it sounds terrible. Putting high flow cats on your model is not as easy as it seems. You need a direct bolt in assembly that contains a high flow cat, unless you want to do a lot of custom pipe work. The OEM cat has an oval flange that you would not be able to adapt to, so you would have to built a custom y-pipe to use weld in cats.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
And get rid of the tailpipe, that's making a big difference. I ran a Flowmaster 40 with tailpipes for about six months before chopping them off and going with turndowns, and the difference is night and day.

Next time you have the muffler off of it, see what you think of the sound like that.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you exit the exhaust in front of the right rear tire it will be louder.

Shorter = Louder

Old 01-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Bear River
Former ******
I agree, turndowns under the cab or in front of the rear tire will make it louder, or at least make it more audible to the driver.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:20 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Powerstick chambered pipe mufflers I put on my Mustang are significantly louder than the Flowmasters they replaced. Maybe twice as loud. It would be hell on a cross country road trip but is sweet music around town.

Except maybe to the people whose car alarms go off when I drive past...

Old 01-30-2008, 07:28 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
I vote straight pipe off the stock Y pipe dumping with turn downs at the back of cab

Old 01-30-2008, 07:36 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
The Powersticks sound like the Classic Chambered I had on the Ranger. BEAUTIFUL sound.

While Scott's idea will sound great, and kinda old school, the 4.0L gets pissy with no backpressure, I lost a noticable amount of torque when I chopped just the muffler off. I don't wanna even imagine without cats as well.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:00 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Bleh, you people and your non-V8's!
lol.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Straight pipe

Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Just straight pipe it off the cat back. If it is to your liking, great!! If it is too loud, you can add a muffler. If it is too quite, I can condone a high flow cat to increase the noise level and keep the engine running right. I cannot condone removing the cat, over 600 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning each year in the US from vehicles. While most of these are related to people running them inside the garage, carbon monoxide is horrible stuff even in small quantities, and it is cumulative, so repeated exposure can gradually get you. It is heavier than air, so it can build up in your basement too, there are few cases of this happening each year.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 AM
flowriteexhaust
Freshman User
While turn downs will make it soud louder, they will also create dust storms if you have any kind of sand or dirt on the road where you start it up. If you keep your truck clean, you might have to wash it more often

Old 01-31-2008, 05:56 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bear River
Just straight pipe it off the cat back. If it is to your liking, great!! If it is too loud, you can add a muffler. If it is too quite, I can condone a high flow cat to increase the noise level and keep the engine running right. I cannot condone removing the cat, over 600 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning each year in the US from vehicles. While most of these are related to people running them inside the garage, carbon monoxide is horrible stuff even in small quantities, and it is cumulative, so repeated exposure can gradually get you. It is heavier than air, so it can build up in your basement too, there are few cases of this happening each year.
Bolox! WA state has the highest rate of carbon monoxide deaths in the US and ALL of them are the result of people running vehicles indorrs, OR more often is the person that gets stuck in the snow with the tailpipe buried and continues to run the car and asphyxiates themselves. Natural selection at work my friend...

Old 01-31-2008, 06:43 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Carbon dioxide will kill you just as dead as carbon monoxide.