Sponsored by:

considering a set of piller gagues - suggestions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Love Diesel X
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
considering a set of piller gagues - suggestions wanted

thinking about a set of piller gagues.. looking for something in the tan color.
im a fairly handy guy, but unfamiliar with adding the gagues.
any suggestions... DIY or take it in to a pro??

Thanx

Old 01-28-2008, 09:43 PM
nghtrgr
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY Youll get alot more joy out of it. I got all the online how to install sheets i could find. Got smart on which wires to tap into for power. Prepped and painted my over head 3 guage pod. I wanted to keep my pillar hand hold. I took basically all day to do this (did the zoodad while i was at it). Took my time drilling / tapping the intake elbow and exhaust manifold. I checked and double checked each wire to make sure it was correct (dimmer, key on power etc.). Do it yourself you will get more out of it. Also have a dremel to fit the guages to the pod they are not produced perfect. Hope this helps.

Last edited by nghtrgr; 01-28-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Love Diesel X
Freshman User
that does help
i have an '02, so no grab handle
what gagues do you have? manufacturer? where did you get the pod from?
also - what is the zoodad?? havent heard that one yet

Thanx

Old 01-29-2008, 11:54 AM
weberr7
Senior User
I bought my gauges through Diesel Manor (vendor on the right of this page). They were very helpful. The Pillar comes in a black color and they sell a spray paint that matches the color of your interior. It took me about 6 hours total over two days to install. I am not impressed with my time and I imagine you could do it fast but that what I did. I have an 03 so I bought the Isspro black with the red pointer. It looks very clean. I am really happy with the gauges and love knowing what is going on with the engine, especially when I am towing. Go to Diesel Manor and they have a web page of instruction you can read and/or download. It will give you a good idea of what is involved. I called to place my order because I really didn't know what clamps to go with and the customer service was awesome. I would say do it yourself and enjoy the accomplishment when it is done! Good luck.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:43 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Diesel Manor here great instructions and very complete kit!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I went with a SINGLE MULTI FUNCTION gauge.

It displays a whole HOST of functions that are available thru the OBD2 bus. For your diesel you will get boost since your 7.3L has the sensor.

To get Pyro...you will have to order that sensor and feed it into one of the analog inputs.

I know you said you don't have a grab handle...but this single A-Pillar mount will still work for you and IMO is the cleanest of the install options...you can monitor 2 parameters at a time or set up a 'cycle' scan to scroll thru those you are interested in. You can also set up one parameters 'limit' that if you trip it...activates the BRIGHT LED's to get your attention.

This post https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...Aeroforce+tech contains links to all the parts I used (gauge, pod, paint, etc)...

Let me know if something isn't clear.

And here's a picture here to peak your interest...

Good luck!
joe.

BTW...the parameters this gauge 'can' display are as follows:

RPM

MPH

Intake Air Temperature

Intake Air Temperature 2 (charge air temp)

Mass Air Flow Sensor Counts

Mass Air Flow Sensor (lb/min.)

Engine Coolant Temperature

Long Term Fuel Trim (bank 1 and 2 if supported)

Short Term Fuel Trim (bank 1 and 2 if supported)

O2 Sensor Voltage (bank 1 and 2 if supported)

Manifold Pressure in PSI (Boost pressure for factory turbo/supercharger
applications)

Ignition Advance

Cylinder head temperature

Engine Run Time

<ST1 class=inlineimg title="Stick Out Tongue" BatteryVoltage

Throttle Position Percentage

Throttle Position Voltage

Engine Load

Calculated Horsepower*

Instantaneous and average fuel economy*

2 user configurable analog inputs**

Injector Pulse Width

Injector Duty Cycle

Fuel Pump Duty Cycle (returnless systems)

Fuel Pressure (returnless systems)

Transmission Temperature (Automatics)

Transmission slip

Calculated Engine Torque

Injector Control Pressure (diesel)

Injector Timing (diesel)

Engine oil temp (diesel)

EGT1,2,3 (2008+ diesel)

DPF delta pressure (2008+ diesel)

Regen status (2008+ diesel)

* Vehicle must have a Mass Air Flow sensor to obtain these parameters.

** 0-5v inputs can be configured to read the outputs from MAP sensors, Air/Fuel ratio kits, pressure or temperature sensors, etc. Raw voltage can be displayed or a conversion can be entered to read proper units.

Last edited by X_Hemi_Guy; 01-29-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:09 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
I went with a SINGLE MULTI FUNCTION gauge.

It displays a whole HOST of functions that are available thru the OBD2 bus. For your diesel you will get boost since your 7.3L has the sensor.

To get Pyro...you will have to order that sensor and feed it into one of the analog inputs.

I know you said you don't have a grab handle...but this single A-Pillar mount will still work for you and IMO is the cleanest of the install options...you can monitor 2 parameters at a time or set up a 'cycle' scan to scroll thru those you are interested in. You can also set up one parameters 'limit' that if you trip it...activates the BRIGHT LED's to get your attention.

This post https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...Aeroforce+tech contains links to all the parts I used (gauge, pod, paint, etc)...

Let me know if something isn't clear.

And here's a picture here to peak your interest...

Good luck!
joe.
How accurate is the tranny temp on that setup? I know the factory gauge is worthless.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:13 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mudmaker
How accurate is the tranny temp on that setup? I know the factory gauge is worthless.
The factory gauge is worthless because it is very IN-sensitive the way they have it scaled.

This gauge has a very accurate degree by degree readout...now I can't tell you exactly where the OEM SENSOR is located...that one I have no idea...but I can tell you that this digital gauge reads out in degree increments...and follows what I 'know' to be the scaling on the factory gauge...basically when it hits its normal resting place...you are at 100°F...where it sits UNTIL it exceeds 220°F. So the factory gauge isn't 'lying'...it is doing what the Ford engineers scaled it to do...i.e. NOT MOVE MUCH...it WILL move over 220°F though.

But this Aeroforce gauge I have it programmed to LIGHT THE LED's if the trans temp exceeds 200°F even if I am NOT monitoring the trans temp at the time...I cannot IGNORE the LED's!!!

joe.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:18 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
I am getting ready to get gauges for my pickup. I like what I see so far on your setup. I am looking at the website you referenced right now. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:27 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
I am getting ready to get gauges for my pickup. I like what I see so far on your setup. I am looking at the website you referenced right now. Thanks for the info.
Marc,

No problem. If I can help in any way just ask.

If you send Aeroforce an email...ask for Todd...he's on top of the info for his company...he'll usually respond within a day...

I am pleased with the product so far...I like the single gauge mount personally...

GOOD LUCK to you and the OP!

joe.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:07 PM
slim pickens
New User
X_Hemi, where did you get your aero gauge? I dont want to blaze a trail to the first hit in a google search and end up ordering from a scammer. And approx how much was it? It really looks like the cats meow...

Old 01-29-2008, 06:35 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Question

Slim,

I ordered directly from Todd at Aeroforce. Tell him you heard about it on Ford-Trucks from Joe.

He's a GREAT supplier that is supporting our Excursion/Super Duty rally in Gatlinburg...so let him know his support is APPRECIATED by letting him know where you heard about it.

His website is http://aeroforcetech.com/Fordtech.html

With the order page being http://aeroforcetech.com/Ford-order.html

Price is $239 and you get to choose your display color the face color and the bezel color...so you can match what you already have in the truck.

If you follow my link in my first post above...I've got a write up on the suppliers where I purchased the A-pillar pod and some other options...

But to cut to the chase...I purchased my pod mount from egauges.com and in particular here is the Super Duty page http://egauges.com/veh_mod.asp?VehMake=Ford&CT=Trucks

Personally I like how integrated this gauge looks...but that's just my opinion.

If I can help anyone with any questions just let me know. Otherwise tell Todd you heard about it on the Excursion forum!

joe.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:57 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Joe:
Where the guage plugs in does it hang down in the way, or is a 90* plug or something. I just know when I plug my tuner in there it hangs down quite a ways.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:15 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Joe:
Where the guage plugs in does it hang down in the way, or is a 90* plug or something. I just know when I plug my tuner in there it hangs down quite a ways.
Marc,

Excellent question...the cable I got has a 90° connector...so it tucks up nicely below the dash...

Yeah a straight connector would be horrible to make a proper bend...I can snap a picture if anyone is interested...but it is barely noticeable...I ran the connector up under the dash and out by the A-Pillar base (there is a soft rubber flap there to feed the connector up thru)...the connector that goes to the OBD2 is HUGE...so FEED the small back of gauge connector FIRST from below...

The gauge comes with a bracket to clamp the gauge to the pod...I did NOT use that incase I wanted to easily remove the gauge...it fits very snug...and if you need to be more snug...I'd just wrap a band of electrical tape around the gauge...and avoid the hard clamp...

Because once you put the pod on the A-Pillar with those push pin clamp thingies...it is NOT coming off very easily...leaving the gauge in the pod without the rear clamp gives you future ease of removal.

joe.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:41 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Hey how did you get the degree symbol?

I figured it must be a angle connection, just wanted to make sure. The more I look at that gauge the more I think I am going to get it. Just have to wait till march when my cash flow picks back up!!

Quick Reply: considering a set of piller gagues - suggestions wanted