1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT Flathead V8,s and flat fenders

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:35 PM
59 shorty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OT Flathead V8,s and flat fenders

How common was it to see a ford flat head v8 in a 40,s vintage military flat finder jeep? Many years ago I had one and of coarse removed the F H in favor of a sb you know what. I gave the engine to my father in law and he still has it. As I recall it appered to be a factory installed flat head and now I,m wondering if this was some what common or not. I know this is not truck related but Ford related for sure.Maybe Numberdummy or some you could shed some light. Mark

Old 01-27-2008, 01:50 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
It was a common swap up into the '60's, in fact I know a guy doing it now. It isn't factory. The flatty's torque is perfect for off-road, it fits, and the tranny's are virtually the same.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:43 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
It was fairly common to swap Henry's bent eight into the ****** pickups. In fact I have heard of that more than putting them into the CJs.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:52 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I have a 45 gpw jeep with the original flathead 4 cylinder engine. it sounds like an interesting swap, however I would be curius about the obstacles incountered, during said swap. (Is there really enough room in there?) my exhaust pipe just below the manifold almost touches the steering shaft, but I'm not sure it it's in the original location since prior owner added a later truck steering box to assist in the steering.

I am trying to keep this jeep as original as possible since it is the wishes of the majority of my family (been in the family since the 60's.) I have been looking for another one in decent shape that could be modified and be a climber!

I have had mine in some crazy places with just the old 4 cylinder. sb ? would get me in all kinds of trouble! but am sure it would be fun in the process! LOL