Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Best Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:40 PM
bookum1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Mods

I just came into a little bit of cash and wanted to know what the best mods are for my 2001 V10 F250 4X4. The only mod I want to avoid is the gear ratio. Any other cool ideas would be appreciated.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:59 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
Unfotunately I think that the best mod is the one you're trying to avoid - gears. The money spent on gears will trump anything else you try to do performancewise - combined.

Otherwise, the first thing that comes to mind is manual hubs if you have ESOF.

Happy spending!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
bigblock_drock
Elder User
ehh.. probably a tuner

Old 01-26-2008, 11:30 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hard to say whitch was the best but here's a link to my mods
http://www.team-mudd-racing.com/Team...0Evolution.htm

my personal opinion is GEARS and HEADERS!! headers to wake up the 10er, and gears to put it to the ground!!

as for hubs, good mod, not a required one, but can cause less headaches in the future. tuner..........i had a hypertech at one time, wasn't impressed, sold it and havn't got anouther one yet, but heard good things about diablo sport tunner, and SCT chips (especialy the 5 position chip)!

but i still say GEAR, HEADERS/EXHAUST, and nickle and dime the rest of the mods as you get the money!!

Old 01-27-2008, 12:11 AM
rdl1320
Senior User
With a supercharger.You dont need no gears.Put your money away and save it up.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:36 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow ???

Originally Posted by bookum1
I just came into a little bit of cash and wanted to know what the best mods are for my 2001 V10 F250 4X4. The only mod I want to avoid is the gear ratio. Any other cool ideas would be appreciated.
What do you use your SD for? Towing? Payload? Daily driver? Also...what gears you running now? What tire size?

See...the best mod depends on your needs for the truck...IMO.

biz

Old 01-27-2008, 07:21 AM
Meanie
Junior User
I have to agree with swann79 here. I've purchase quite a bit of performance parts for a v10 just to have them disappoint me.

Here's a little insight to what I have done.

Headers, waste. Purchased hooker ceramic coated for $800 and gained about nothing. Sounds good but thats about it.

Flowmaster cat back 3", it works ok after removing all the junk clamps and welding it all. Sounds good and gained about .5 mpg and a little mid range rpm torque.

TB spacer, junk. Wasted $40 on a piece of aluminum that did nothing but cause a leak between the tb and spacer. Sold on ebay the next day for $10.

K&N Filter and intake tube. Works good, mild performance gain. Mostly throttle response and high rpm "seat of the pants" power increase.

Diablosport Predator. At first I thought I had thrown more money away and then I started playing with it. The factory tunes are garbage but you can modify them which is really the best part of this tuner. I have adjusted pretty much everything to my liking and the end result has been outstanding. Well worth the $400.

One day I got a wild hair to pull off the converter to see if maybe it was starting to plug. I pulled it off, looked in it and my jaw dropped. This thing is heavily resricted. I've seen the inside of many converters before but this one is plain ugly, So I welded in a 3" pipe, turned off the rear O2 heaters with the predator and went around the block..... Power for days..... By far one of the best things I have done to this truck. I get almost 3mpg more than before and it runs great. I had to do some further fuel and spark adjustments (basically lean out) to remove the extra fuel going into the exhaust ford pre-programs to help the catalyst keep its heat low. This could be achieved with a high flow cat also.

Gears....... I have a friend that has a f350 the same as mine only is a long bed. we both have the same nitto 315's but I have 3.73 and he has 4.88. even with all the mods I have on my truck, his blows mine away. Even in mileage, he gets 1-2 more than I do any given day. I'm scheduled to get a set of 4.88s in soon. The shop I'm taking it to is charging $1640 to do it. Low cost compared to a $4k blower and the 92 octane fuel you're going to need to buy to run it.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:13 AM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
i wouldn't pass on the headers, the power gains are proven with the banks and doug thorley!!

but i would put the gears first and then the headers, on my mod list!

Old 01-27-2008, 08:42 PM
bookum1
Junior User
I use the truck for hunting and towing an ATV. Occassionally I will pull a tractor on a 16ft trailer. Just wanted to add some things that might spice it up. Anyone has experience with the ebay ypipe

Old 01-27-2008, 08:57 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
stay away from the $200 epipes!! some have had good luck, but i have personaly witnessed them after ONE mud ride..........one set tracked around the flange at the block, and the other cracked a pipe after heating up and driving threw water.

2 wasted sets of pipes!! save your money and get you a GOOD set of banks or dougs.....

Old 01-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Wayne64SS
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
god do i love the sound of your guys' trucks

Old 01-27-2008, 10:20 PM
bookum1
Junior User
teammudd, I am not sure of what your referring to by Banks or Dougs

Old 01-27-2008, 10:33 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
sorry.........banks header kit or a doug thorley header kit!!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:34 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by bookum1
I use the truck for hunting and towing an ATV. Occassionally I will pull a tractor on a 16ft trailer. Just wanted to add some things that might spice it up. Anyone has experience with the ebay ypipe
I'm going to assume you have a stock OEM NO lift and tires. Here is my list...FWIW.

1. 4.56 or 4.88 gears
2. 4.5" suspension lift (or at least a front level kit)(new shocks)
3. Larger tires and wheels to fit the lift (no larger than 35" needed)
4. Y-pipe mod (eBay setup is fine. They use the same aluminum as Flowmaster does on there exhaust)
5. Diablo tuner
6. aFe OE Replacement Filter with Pro-Dry S (Oil-free 2-layer synthetic media)
7. A major tune up (change all fluids...and do the spark plugs)

Long list...but what a SD V10 after!

biz

Last edited by biz4two; 01-27-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:44 PM
nebmike
Senior User
I put a full Banks Powerpack system on my '05 Excursion... that was THE biggest waste of money. The performance gain was nearly nothing. Certainly not worth the thousands of dollars I put into it.

Ran two different tuners... Hypertech actually made a noticeable difference but couldnt use it with the Banks system so I went to an SCT Livewire. Could never really tell it did anything other than cause my mileage to go down.

Ended up swapping my 3.73's for a set of 4.56's and was amazed. Gave me exactly what I was looking for in terms of performance increase. If only I had done it before I dropped $$$ on the Banks system, I coulda had saved big money!

You're biggest gains will come from (1) a supercharger or (2) a gear swap. Everything else is a gamble as to what you might gain.

Quick Reply: Best Mods