1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Weld-in vs Bolt-in IFS

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:51 AM
mt50f1
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Weld-in vs Bolt-in IFS

Does anyone have an opinion regarding what option is better for the 48-50 F-1 truck? I see a lot of weld-in front IFS options for sale, and only a few bolt-in.

I suck at welding and would prefer a bolt-in system; any opinions on the matter? I've read about the Jag options but would rather look aftermarket.

Thanks much!

'Cold in Montana'

Old 01-26-2008, 10:00 AM
9teen56f100
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have never used a bolt in but I thing chassis engineering offers a bolt in for the 48 F-1. Good luck

brian...

Old 01-26-2008, 10:08 AM
mt50f1
Freshman User
If this is the place: http://chassisengineering.com

I didn't see anything on their site. I'll give them a call and ask.

Of course, I could be blind from too much...ah....playing with the truck?...heh

Old 01-26-2008, 10:12 AM
9teen56f100
Laughing Gas
Old 01-26-2008, 10:20 AM
mt50f1
Freshman User
I think I made that mistake before trying to get to their site. Apologies. Thanks for the link! I'll give it a gander and see if anyone else has some input. I'm still looking at all the Jag suspension threads that Rusty put up; he says it is easy, but I also see he is a proficient welder.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:34 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 9teen56f100
I just checked the above website. I would not want to offend anyone but do you really want Pinto front suspension components in your truck front end? Years ago there were not many alternatives but today there are. The aftermaket M2 setups share some geometry but are re engineered for our trucks.
As you may know I was one of the first (probably the first of the active members) on this forum to put the Jag IFS under our trucks. A facinating old drag chassis builder, Kent Fuller, from california (lives very close to Sacramento Vintage Ford) was going to fab and sell adapters to fit up the Jag in our truck but he never did the project. If you search the archives under Jag XJ IFS some discussion should come up. Mike Bishop, a frequent hot rod magazine writer, from Santa Rosa was trying to get Kent going on the project. Kent is building a flathead V8 powered steamliner to run on the salt instead. It is about 4 ft wide and 30 ft long-saw it in person! He goes back to the times on the salt when Bart Monro, portrayed in the movie The Worlds Fastest Indian, was running his streamliner Indian motorcycle. He reminds me of Monro in a number of ways.
IMHO find a good welder and vastly improve your selection and end result-well worth the $,time and effort.

Last edited by 49willard; 01-26-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

I think the answer to your question is that bolt-in is much better than a crappy weld job. So, if you insist on doing it yourself, find a properly engineered bolt-in unit. It should be on par with the rivet-in stock stuff.

The JAG IFS, like 49Willard's is a great suspension package and designed for the weight of our trucks. If I didn't already have an MII IFS, I would go the Jag route.

I prefer the weld-in type, personally.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:50 AM
9teen56f100
Laughing Gas
I will be welding a MII into my 55 panel. I too perfer the welded IFS but like Randy Jack stated a good bolt-in is better than a bad weld job. Good luck with your project. Keep us pasted on your progress.

49willard I like your install of the jag IFS. Bet it will drive/ride great.

brian...

Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Back when our Trucks were built they used rivets, when shops had to replace components they used bolts, mainly because nobody had the equipment nor skills to rivet.
I like the Chassisengineering concept, as above they are light in the components used.
Check out: http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/

Old 01-26-2008, 05:31 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
I think the answer to your question is that bolt-in is much better than a crappy weld job. So, if you insist on doing it yourself, find a properly engineered bolt-in unit. It should be on par with the rivet-in stock stuff.

The JAG IFS, like 49Willard's is a great suspension package and designed for the weight of our trucks. If I didn't already have an MII IFS, I would go the Jag route.

I prefer the weld-in type, personally.
So true, and you could remove later if needed. Some guys bolt in, then run it to a pro welder after the install is proven right. Some B-I kits are dummy proof as the kit uses stock holes to locate. Don't even need a rule or level.
Both have their place.
JOn

Old 01-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
mt-
I've decided on the Jag option. I haven't gotten far: I've got the car to pull parts from. If you decided you wanted to go the Jag route I could make up some extra brackets for you that'd bolt on and you could take 'em somewhere and have them welded once installed. Right now I'm of the mind to use grade 8 bolts and just bolt mine on. That way if I should need to replace the brackets or remove them for any reason (wreck, decide to change the design, whatever) it isn't a difficult task.

My 2 cents.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:21 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Please DON'T use any IFS that uses stock M II/Pinto suspension parts especially the lower contol arm with the goofy strut. It was a cheap poor design when it was put on the 2100# Pinto, it doesn't ever belong under a 4000# nose heavy truck.
It would be much safer and cheaper in the long run to jig all your parts into place and have a welder come to you to do the welding. There are plenty of welders that carry their own portable equipment to service racers, heavy equipment users, construction companies.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mt50f1
I think I made that mistake before trying to get to their site. Apologies. Thanks for the link! I'll give it a gander and see if anyone else has some input. I'm still looking at all the Jag suspension threads that Rusty put up; he says it is easy, but I also see he is a proficient welder.
mt50f1; I had a friend finish the welds on my front gussets after I tacked everything into place. I learned everything I needed to know from the guys on here. 49 Willard, 48steel, both and a few others helped me. Without thier help. It wouldn't have gotten done. As far as being a welder. I AM NOT a welder and don't claim to be. I used my sears stick welder to tack everything into place. Now I did weld in my boxed frame, Took my time and it turned out pretty good. I tacked in the rear IRS cross member and it will be finished by a friend. He checked out my welding on the boxing and said it would be fine. And I welded in my motor mounts. Buy you a used stick welder I got mine for $40.00 at a garage sale. and practice. That's all it takes, You'll be very suprized how fast you will learn to weld. As far as the JAG IFS I looked at every ifs kit that I could find and read everything I could read. Byfar the JAG was the best fore the money. And the easiest to put in. Brackets are easy to make, and easy to install. And you only have to drill 4 3/8 holes. If I can help you in any way just ask, you will be VERY happy with the JAG unit and the install. This was my first, and I'm sure not my last on the JAG IFS,and IRS.

Last edited by RUSTY50F1; 01-27-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Rusty: Have you tried out your IFS set up yet? I'm sure we've talked about it before, but I can't recall. Anyway, I didn't realize there was a guy in Mustang with the jag setup. I just moved to South Dakota, but I've got family in Kingfisher. Next time I'm down that way I'd love to swing by and check out your setup if that's alright. THX.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:34 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Before I decided on a Jag, I looked at various MII kits, with the bolt in Chassis Engineering kit being considered. I called the tech line at CE, and asked how the stock control arms, ball joints etc were holding up. They said there aren't any kits using stock Ford parts anymore, all the oe looking parts are offshore copies. They steered me toward their tubular control arms, which are stronger and use larger ball joints, so no strength issue there. I've seen a couple of their bolt in kits on other vehicles, and all have looked fine. If I didn't want to weld a MII in, I'd bolt in a CE kit. On my truck I went the Jag route, and bolted it in. The only parts welded to the frame are the upper shock mounts. Not that I'm afraid of welding, but I wanted the option of changing to the next big thing in front ends, when that comes along in another ten years. Remember how Corvair fronts were the hot ticket in the early 70's? Who knows what will be next when the MII has run it's course.

Quick Reply: Weld-in vs Bolt-in IFS