General Automotive Discussion

Stunt Driving - Tricks, Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:47 PM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Stunt Driving - Tricks, Tips?

I'm thinking I want to try stunt driving. I'm going to head out to some open areas tomorrow and do some donuts, try some drifting, try to do a 180.

I want to know what the situations are to watch out for that would flip a car if done wrong. I am going to start out slow and gradually increase speed, not in one day but over the the next few weeks.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 PM
ford_boy_1996
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think this is a good thing....But if you are going to do it I would use a junk car or truck and have a seat belt, helmet and a good wide open space and maybe a roll bar. Tell us what kind of auto you are going to use RWD or FWD, car or truck

Old 01-25-2008, 09:58 PM
herman391
Posting Guru
It's probably not a good idea unless you've got some sort of training (which I don't think you do). Just remember if your going to fast and you get it totally sideways it'll most likely flip. And if a cop happens upon you and your on public roads you can kiss your licence good-bye

Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 PM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Early 80's gm rwd bigblock power plushmobile, on deserted gravel areas, no one else around. Just going slow at first, going to work up to more difficult maneuvers.

Not doing it for a camera or to impress my friends, just to see if I can do it. Gas is cheaper than drugs and more fun. I've never done drugs, always poured money into my cars or their stereos, now the "poser" phase is over, I want to figure out how to really drive, discover threshold braking and explore object avoidance and advanced techniques.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:19 PM
ford_boy_1996
Elder User
Smile

I agree with herman but lol ....... here is one for ya Turn the wheel all the way and punch the gas keep the rear wheel speed up but don't let the car go o fast try it slow at first. Make sure you have control of the car (Not out of control) and make sure there is no pot hole or anything that can make you flip over. Good luck and don't say I told you to do it LOL!

P.S. Thats good you don't do drugs but don't go killing your self doing something stupid

Old 01-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Krochus
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Five things to remember

Don't forget to countersteer

The E-Brake is your friend

Jumps ALWAYS suck (although it may look fun at the time, landing is harsh)

Always be on the lookout for a soft place to crash

And lastly It's the unexpected things you have NO control of that will get you. If you ever power slide around a 90 degree turn on a gravel country lane only to your HORROR find a cow standing in the middle of the road at the turns exit you'll know what I mean.

It's a very strange sensation to look out the passenger side window of a Saab 900 and see the ground and the last 8" of submerged willow trees look remarkably like grass.

Last edited by Krochus; 01-25-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:49 PM
88FordF-150
Elder User
When you get it sideways, always have your wheels but the direction your sliding (countersteer). If you have the wheel straight your chances of flipping are high. You want your wheels turned the direction of the slide so that your front wheels are mostly rotating in the direction rather than sliding sideways. Also keep your rear wheels spinning, so it will slide alot easier, which also lowers your chances of rolling. Controlling the slide (drift) is with experience. To get into a slide (drift) on gravel it is easy but very hard to control, so make sure you have LOTS of room. On blacktop you would want to ebrake in the begining to get it started then break the wheels loose. Id suggest starting with a BIG open abandoned gravel lot and start slow. Get the feel of it before you try doing on pavment.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:07 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's supposed to snow tomorrow and Sunday anyway. Threshold braking and object avoidance is easy. Donuts are easy. Drifting is the hard part. 15 kph in the snow while learning to drift is plenty fast. Probably too fast for side streets, but fast enough for a big parking lot. And watch out for curbs. I bent a rim on a Tempo goofing off in the snow.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:42 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
its ALOT harder to flip on smooth cement, than out in a pasture somewhere. but a truck is a bad idea for stunts. esp for a learner

Matt

Old 01-26-2008, 07:57 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
Put new shocks on the car, new stiffer sway bars or at least poly bushings, Poly
bushings all the way around would be good too. A helmet, five point harness seat belt
smash out the windows ( check local laws, Florida does not require a front windshield)
Makes sure you wear goggles with or with out glass in the car!! A few fire extinguisher
mounted securely where you can reach them from the seat belt!! A big sharp knife to
cut the seat belts just in case SM(securely mounted) You should probably have a
posi rear end or weld it so it is, in case you want to try a side wheely!! A rollbar even just a small one in the back seat to prevent the roof from squashing down and trapping
you!! A switch on the fuel pump so you can cut it off so you don't end up with a big
flame thrower!! You need a stiff suspension that is predictable so don't buy the cheapy
shocks etc. IF you try the same trick in a car with stiffer suspension you would most
likely roll it so it is better to get used to a tight car then to think I can do this then
whip the car into a slide and the suspension reacts immediately instead of sagging
compressing and then reacting!! and you roll your new car etc. My father was a
stunt man in the Ward Beam stunt show so I got a early lesson in car handling and
motorcycle riding. He did most of the motorcycle stunts and he used a ww2 surplus
Harley Davidson hard tail!! They did this back when there wasn't any Nomex or even
seatbelts in the cars!! He used to have to soak his clothes in water before any of the
stunts that involved fire, Like the tunnel of fire!! He would have to get going 50mph or
so and hold his breath and pray he kept it straight, The motor would cut off while in
the tunnel since the fire ate all the oxygen!! They would chop holes in the floor and
chain airplane seatbelts to the frame since the cars they used didn't come with any
seatbelts!!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
on dry cement, do about 15-20 mph, pull the ebrake and turn the wheel about 4 inches to the right. the car will do a 180 in an area as wide as a two lane road, right before the car is pointed the other direction, let off the ebrake, hit the gas slightly, and through the entire thing, slowly let the wheel go straight.....really not too hard to do, bit harder when usin a trucks ebrake versuses a handbrake like most cars have.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:44 AM
ashshade
Senior User
IF you are going in reverse, crank the wheel as hard as you can - get into a forward gear and mash the gas. you can do a 180 like that on a gravel road only 20 ft. wide if you get good at it.

I learned to "drive" on ice and snow or in the fields. wear your seatbelt. I was messing around in an old 85 150 and rolled it without a seatbelt. Not fun.

I don't think a person can drive until they can control a cata$$ with out doing something funny.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:02 AM
blue beast
Posting Guru
On a slight hill point you vehicle up hill and either nuetral drop or what ever gets
your wheels spinning and you should start drifting backwards let off a bit but
so the wheels are still spinning and it should get some traction and go up hill,
Leaving the classic JJ burnout you don't see anymore these days!! It's like anyone
who knew how to do it died or all the cars that could do it are gone!! Probably both!!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i used to use the back yard to learn, did donuts and drifts in my highboy, and learned to reverse 180 in my ranger(i think i did it twice cause it did feel like it was gonna flip!) also learned how not to get stuck out there, and now i cn get my 5.0 capri through places my roommate couldn't get his 01 dodge 2500 through! as soon as i bought my volvo 740 turbo i learned how to use the e brake, but almost lost it after i put different tires on it (almost hit a shop in town) and with my capri i am learning how to drive with the two back one's spinning!

just take it slow, pace yourself, and don't do it where someone can get hurt!