1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 super duty vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:47 AM
wobbly ford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since my last repair, my steering wheel has started to oscillate with the bounce. It hasn't done it violently as some state, but it seems to be starting, and I'm at 21000 miles now. Could these 2 issues be inter-connected? Seems odd mine just started shaking after 21k.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM
walrus
Senior User
Mine has the occassional 'death wobble' but only when applying light brake at 40-50 MPH. Doesn't do it all the time, maybe 20%. A tire rotation and proper inflation will eliminate the problem for a month or two. It's just started again and it's time to rotate tires. Truck is stock, with 50k miles.

I think Redford is right and it's two different issues. Mine never 'bounces' under accelleration or at constant speed.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
hdroadking05
Senior User
Has anyone tried installing rear track bars? Will that help in anyway?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 PM
brmpipes
Elder User
i have the rize traction bars on mine and still get the intermitant wheel hop at 60-70 mph.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Originally Posted by walrus
Mine has the occassional 'death wobble' but only when applying light brake at 40-50 MPH. Doesn't do it all the time, maybe 20%. A tire rotation and proper inflation will eliminate the problem for a month or two. It's just started again and it's time to rotate tires. Truck is stock, with 50k miles.

I think Redford is right and it's two different issues. Mine never 'bounces' under accelleration or at constant speed.
That sounds like you may have anpther issue, a warped brake rotor....especially if the vibration stops when you stop braking.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:17 PM
fordmann
Mountain Pass
Mine did not do this hop with the stock tires. It started when I put the bigger tires on it. 285/70x17 Goodyear wrangler MT/R 8ply. Just bought a 98% "used" set and another set of used factory wheels. Polished aluminum with the round holes. I will be putting them on today and test driving.

I have a 76 F150 4x4 which would wobbly something fierce at 30-35mph with 35" MT sidebiters. After a year I found out one of the front calipers was sticking. Replaced both and it went away. If it still does it with these tires I'm going to disconect the rear calipers and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

Never argue with an idiot, he'll just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:26 PM
fordmann
Mountain Pass
Much better!

I swapped the rear tires one at a time with the other set that I bought. It took 85-90% of the bounce out. It does have a little bit between 38-42mph. It will not shake your drink. I'm still gonna try some new shocks. I'm going to try and rotate my tires 180 degrees and have them rebalanced and see what happens. Also I run 50psi in front and 40-45 in rear when not loaded or hauling. Hope this helps.
2005 F250 CC, LB, 4X4,

Old 04-13-2008, 08:10 PM
banditsdaddy
Junior User
I have the bounce from about 43 - 48 mph but also had the steering wheel woble & bounce. I took the truck to a Ford dealer and the tech found the left front wheel was out of balance on one side of the wheel. It must have thrown a weight off of one of the alloy wheels. He rebalanced all of the wheels and the woble was over but I still have the 43 -48 mph bounce that seems to be a common problem with the super duties.

2006 F350 4X4 SC PSD

Old 04-14-2008, 09:12 AM
fordmann
Mountain Pass
I have two sets of the polished aluminum factory wheels with the round holes in them. I also have two sets of the Goodyear tires I mentioned before. My vibration is next to nothing right now...very tolerable. After all, you can't expect a 8000lb truck to drive like a Lincoln. It's a truck.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:49 PM
wobbly ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordmann
I have two sets of the polished aluminum factory wheels with the round holes in them. I also have two sets of the Goodyear tires I mentioned before. My vibration is next to nothing right now...very tolerable. After all, you can't expect a 8000lb truck to drive like a Lincoln. It's a truck.
Good job on diagnosing your own truck, as the dealerships certainly are no help at all. I have done just about everything everyone else here has done, dealership has tried everything, and still to no avail. At a loss for words on this truck. I agree that a truck should ride like a truck, but it shouldn't make a guy lose his lunch to motion sickness.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:56 PM
rich250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 01 had the superduty bounce or vibration or what ever you wanna call it, started real bad at 60 mph that it shook my mirrors,I tried pretty much everything, yesterday I put a new oem driveshaft in and my bounce is gone,best $300.00 I think I ever spent,so I know how you guys feel .

Old 04-15-2008, 10:21 PM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I appoligize ahead of time guys for the excessively long thread but had to get my 2 cents (ok maybe more like a couple bucks) in.

I can't say for shure that i have fully experienced the so-called "death wobble". I own an 06 FX4 "longbed" and although i will admit that it can get bouncy at times it's not at all excessive at 40k and never has been. I live in new england and the back roads are by far (especially during the winter and spring months) a mess. The Highways are in pretty good shape in most areas but again they have their issues in areas. All being said i have no real complaint on my Super duty. After previously driving a 94 bronco w/200k and a 71 bronco my SD drives like a caddy.
I have no doubt that many of you have legitimate complaints as this seems to be an ongoing issue. Maybe we can narrow down the issue a bit with complaints from completely stock trucks and specific models with factory options as several of the posts comment on the problem with oversize tires, lifts etc.. and didn't occur untill after the mod. Where were the complaint's from these owners before their mods?
What vehicles did they drive before their truck purchase's?

The original Ford statement specifies vehicles with the longer wheelbase and a trailer hitch. Are there any trucks that exibit this problem that don't have a trailer hitch? I ordered my truck without one and later installed a ford factory hitch. I didn't notice a difference before or aft the hitch install.

Every physical item that contains mass exhibits "resonance". Some at frequencys that we can't feel or hear. Every truck, car, bike, bridge, building or whatever, exhibits it. The key item here is how this resonance is dampened to a level were it isn't felt, heard or annoying.
Ford as well as other vehicle manufacturers have had this problem and some have delt with it in different ways.
The older ford unibody frames especially the convertables had this problem and Ford soldved it by installing "Ballasts" on the rear frame rails. It is obvious by the number of threads listed, and as you all have realized it is in-fact a resonance issue. As also listed this seems to be an issue with the 05 and up only trucks. These trucks are a new design and may or may not have been initially detected by ford as not all of them exhibit the problem. I am quite sure that the ford engineer's and designers are aware of the problem and it would not suprise me if they solve the issue in the near future.

For those of you who have had this issue classified as "excesive" and "intolerable" and "unfixable" i fully understand your complaint and you have every right to voice your complaint but drive a new chevy, dodge or jap truck and i can bet we will see your complaints about the quality and issues on their forums. I'l wait here and wait for your return.
I will drive a SD untill i die (as long as i can still get in it) even if it's eventually the "death wobble" that kills me.

Dave

Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 AM
wobbly ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by DAVE67FD
I appoligize ahead of time guys for the excessively long thread but had to get my 2 cents (ok maybe more like a couple bucks) in.

I can't say for shure that i have fully experienced the so-called "death wobble". I own an 06 FX4 "longbed" and although i will admit that it can get bouncy at times it's not at all excessive at 40k and never has been. I live in new england and the back roads are by far (especially during the winter and spring months) a mess. The Highways are in pretty good shape in most areas but again they have their issues in areas. All being said i have no real complaint on my Super duty. After previously driving a 94 bronco w/200k and a 71 bronco my SD drives like a caddy.
I have no doubt that many of you have legitimate complaints as this seems to be an ongoing issue. Maybe we can narrow down the issue a bit with complaints from completely stock trucks and specific models with factory options as several of the posts comment on the problem with oversize tires, lifts etc.. and didn't occur untill after the mod. Where were the complaint's from these owners before their mods?
What vehicles did they drive before their truck purchase's?

The original Ford statement specifies vehicles with the longer wheelbase and a trailer hitch. Are there any trucks that exibit this problem that don't have a trailer hitch? I ordered my truck without one and later installed a ford factory hitch. I didn't notice a difference before or aft the hitch install.

Every physical item that contains mass exhibits "resonance". Some at frequencys that we can't feel or hear. Every truck, car, bike, bridge, building or whatever, exhibits it. The key item here is how this resonance is dampened to a level were it isn't felt, heard or annoying.
Ford as well as other vehicle manufacturers have had this problem and some have delt with it in different ways.
The older ford unibody frames especially the convertables had this problem and Ford soldved it by installing "Ballasts" on the rear frame rails. It is obvious by the number of threads listed, and as you all have realized it is in-fact a resonance issue. As also listed this seems to be an issue with the 05 and up only trucks. These trucks are a new design and may or may not have been initially detected by ford as not all of them exhibit the problem. I am quite sure that the ford engineer's and designers are aware of the problem and it would not suprise me if they solve the issue in the near future.

For those of you who have had this issue classified as "excesive" and "intolerable" and "unfixable" i fully understand your complaint and you have every right to voice your complaint but drive a new chevy, dodge or jap truck and i can bet we will see your complaints about the quality and issues on their forums. I'l wait here and wait for your return.
I will drive a SD untill i die (as long as i can still get in it) even if it's eventually the "death wobble" that kills me.

Dave
Mine is a bone stock 2006 sd crew cab lwb, fx4 with camper package, with trailer hitch with tsb dampener attached. Stock wheels and tires, (though I have had others on that didn't help). If you don't have the excessive bounce, you may not know how annoying it is. My last truck was a 2003 f350sd crew cab, lwb fx4 with trailer hitch. Same specs as current truck, yet no bounce. According to Ford's TSB, they feel this "bounce" is a "normal characteristic" of an over 8500 gvw vehicle. My question to any ASE people out there is, in your experience in todays world of 50-60k trucks, is this a true statement? Are Chevy and Dodge getting the bouncy jollies also on their heavy duty trucks? I used to drive an 88000 gvw log truck that didn't bounce, so I don't buy it.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:54 AM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wobbly,
Again I totally agree with your complaint. I am sure your experiencing a elevated problem that seems to be unsolvable and that Ford won't either admit to the specific problem or go to the extreems to fix it.
My initial intent was to see if as independent drivers and "investigators" of the SD that we could possibly narrow down the problem by getting a real census of the specific trucks that exhibit the problem.
Obviously Ford is aware of the existing problem. But as a Major vehicle manufacturer the expense that Ford would have to do to possibly and "actually" solve the problem (whether they at this point know how to fix it or not) could and may put them out of buisness.
It's obvious that you and ford has spent a great deal of time on this as well as others. The cost incurred to really solve the problem could be astronomical on a recall basis. My guess is that the TSB dampner may have solved or minimized the problem on "some" trucks but not all.
If this is in-fact a resonance issue of the frame design all the trucks should exhibit the same problem and if not what differences are either compounding it or minimizing it.
Well anyway it seems you have been thru every avenue at this point and short of selling it your stuck with trying to solve it yourself.
Good luck

PS-How many with the problem have a rear swaybar installed? Just another guess.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:35 PM
GRUSSON
Freshman User
i did a reshim on my 05. dropped the carrier bearing down .75 inches on truck with the 2.5 inch blocks. it helped a little. then had the driveshaft balanced as a complete unit.this helped a little more. then i read an amazing article from 1965 in an old magazine about the old way to balance an 8 foot long shaft. place a stainless hose clamp just behind the carrier bearing on the main shaft. make 4 marks on the shaft each at 90 degrees apart. number each line 1-2-3-4 tighten the clamp on line one and drive a short distance. if its worse, rotate clamp 90 degrees to next mark and try again. and so on. i did 2 adjustments in this fashion, and my driveline vibration stopped all together. strange but true. i'm not so sure it's the weight of the clamp or it's reduction of harmonic vibration. but who cares. half an hour and 75 cents for a clamp. wish i knew who the mechanic was that figured it out, id send him a christmas present!!!!

Quick Reply: 2006 super duty vibration