Some Basics

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Robatthelake
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Basics

Hello All you 460 Owners! I'm a Newbie here!

I have noticed that I'm having a few issues with My Engine! I will list the problems and ask that You direct Me to the Best place to find the answers rather than post each one seperately.

My Motorhome starts great when it is Cold..Carburated-Automatic Choke. that is when it hasn't sat for weeks, then it takes a couple of tries!

However once warmed up and driven a few miles , if I shut it off for a while when I go to restart it takes forever to fire then sort of sputters until I stand on the gas .Then it runs fine until the next shut down and the pattern repeats.

Also Whenever I travel to Higher elevations or really Hot locations (Mexico) it will Backfire on deceleration from time to time! Then it runs fine again.

Carburetor was rebuilt -- Plugs and Wires Replaced -- New air cleaner Filter-- Fresh Oil ( It does leak a bit ) Runs at Normal Temp and never shows any Overheating!

Any Ideas? or Suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:31 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Semi educated guessing here...

Sounds like your float bowl is leaking or boiling off the fuel that remians in it when you shut down.

Don't know your model carb but most have a view port so you can check the fuel level in the bowl. Check the level next time you shut down after a drive and long stop.

I am guessing it is not a leaky bowl since you can start it when cold. So somehow the carb is getting too much heat into it and boiling off the fuel. Was there a spacer or gasket before ther rebuild and after?

OR. Your automatic carb may be mis-adjusted. Too rich when warm or maybe not enough choke when the engine is luke warm(sitting awhile).

I forget the exact cause of backfiring but I recall I had that problem decades ago when I rebuilt a carb and didn't put all the little ***** back. Was the rebuilder reputable with your carb model? This might also affect the warm start issue.

Good Luck, hope someone with better knowldge steps up.

Jim Henderson

Old 11-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Robatthelake
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jim .........OR. Your automatic carb may be mis-adjusted. Too rich when warm or maybe not enough choke when the engine is luke warm(sitting awhile).

Hi Did YOu Mean Automatic Choke? That's sort of the direction I was leaning!

The fellow that did the rebuild is highly recommended hearabouts!