6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Sooty pipes & R&R Low Pressure Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 AM
jrc55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sooty pipes & R&R Low Pressure Fuel Pump?

Took my 6.4 in for sooty exhaust pipes and the tech replaced the low pressure pump that mounts on the frame rail part# 8C3Z-9G282-A. Does this seem logical or did they just throw some parts at it? Anybody care to offer an opinion? Just picked it up today. Should the pipes clean themselves after some regen cycles? Thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 12:26 PM
tommpa
Junior User
Mine is in the shop right now. That was one of my complaints. They replaced the DPF. service guy said they are doing some other things to it that it might be ready tomorrow afternoon. But he also said don't count on it. They have had it since Monday morning around 8. He said the mechanic said he did not want to see it come back. He was going to go through all the tsb's and do any of the ones he could. I also complained about the Limited slip and told them I did not think it was working correctly.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:31 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jrc55
Took my 6.4 in for sooty exhaust pipes and the tech replaced the low pressure pump that mounts on the frame rail part# 8C3Z-9G282-A. Does this seem logical or did they just throw some parts at it? Anybody care to offer an opinion? Just picked it up today. Should the pipes clean themselves after some regen cycles? Thanks
The low psi fuel pump has nothing to do with your sooty pipes other than delivering fuel to the engine that makes the soot.

Your pipes won't clean themselves unless you run in the rain for awhile and road spray manages to clean them.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:11 PM
jrc55
Senior User
Thanks rob_nc, that was exactly what I thought when he told me. I was referring to the inside of the pipes where the soot is, not the outside. Should I try to clean what I can or will it burn off after some regen cycles?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:38 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

I know this is off topic, but thought i would throw my .02 about just going through and seeing what TSB's they can do.

I am very happy my service rider talked me out of the voluntary flash i wanted to do for truck prior to 7-30-07. Most trucks that had the flame thrower flash got the new updates with it. TSB's dont mean that that work needs to be done on your truck, there ment to help diag certain problems some vechicles may display.

If your truck needed a certain repair you would recieve a field action/ recall notice.

I have seen several people do voluntary flashes when there was no issues and what do you know, they have new issues of compliants. I guess i believe in the if its not broken dont fix it.

It's scary when they just go lookin and probin

Last edited by SANDDEMON08; 01-23-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:49 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Took my 6.4 in for sooty exhaust pipes and the tech replaced the low pressure pump that mounts on the frame rail part# 8C3Z-9G282-A. Does this seem logical or did they just throw some parts at it?
I would like to hear what the service tech has to say about the revelance of the soot and the low pressure transfer pump being the root of the problem.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:21 PM
richfaa
Elder User
I had black and sooty tailpipes. The overall performance of mytruck was poor in all areas. The dealer replaced the DPF and all is well. I cleaned out the inside of my tail pipe with "orange stuff" and after over month they are nice and clean.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Originally Posted by tommpa
Mine is in the shop right now. That was one of my complaints. They replaced the DPF. service guy said they are doing some other things to it that it might be ready tomorrow afternoon. But he also said don't count on it. They have had it since Monday morning around 8. He said the mechanic said he did not want to see it come back. He was going to go through all the tsb's and do any of the ones he could. I also complained about the Limited slip and told them I did not think it was working correctly.

The limited slip is an issue They rebuilt mine under warranty

Old 01-23-2008, 06:35 PM
jrc55
Senior User
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
I would like to hear what the service tech has to say about the revelance of the soot and the low pressure transfer pump being the root of the problem.
He did say that he checked the clearances in the turbo and they were within tolerences, then he said that he replaced the low pressure pump and I took that to mean that the LPP was the next item on his "to do list". I dunno, I'm just trying to make some sense out of the whole regen process.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:27 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Thanks rob_nc, that was exactly what I thought when he told me. I was referring to the inside of the pipes where the soot is, not the outside. Should I try to clean what I can or will it burn off after some regen cycles?
It won't clean itself, you'll have to do that. And by all means, clean them. They are a cheap diagnostic tool.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:55 PM
tommpa
Junior User
Well I just got the truck back from dealer, they got it ready today, had since Monday. DPF was changed they ran diagnostics on both fuel pumps. They had the the covers off but did not say what they did. There was something on the list that they had to call tech support, but nothing about what they found out or did. Some hose had to be replaced to the cover. Said they tested limited slip according to shop manual and it was ok. The check engine light is where they had to call tech support but doesnt tell anything else. They just put quick notes on the service sheets. I wish I knew what all this was about. I quess I will have to call service advisor in the a.m. and see what they really had to do. He told me that they had the intake manifold off but nothing in the notes about that. They had the alternator off and nothing about why. They had a bunch of TSB stuff listed but no info. One of the TSB there was a statement that they did not see the reason behind the test. The truck look really nice after three days of salt spray on it. They changed the oil and filter and did the TSB for over full oil check. I did get a complimentary safety inspection so they say. Time will tell.

Last edited by tommpa; 01-23-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:55 PM
hodgekuter
Senior User
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
SandDemon08 how do you like your '08 6.4 I just bought one after having an '01 7.3 and then a new '05 6.0. So far I really like mine.

Bill in KY

Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by tommpa
Well I just got the truck back from dealer, they got it ready today, had since Monday. DPF was changed they ran diagnostics on both fuel pumps. They had the the covers off but did not say what they did. There was something on the list that they had to call tech support, but nothing about what they found out or did. Some hose had to be replaced to the cover. Said they tested limited slip according to shop manual and it was ok. The check engine light is where they had to call tech support but doesnt tell anything else. They just put quick notes on the service sheets. I wish I knew what all this was about. I quess I will have to call service advisor in the a.m. and see what they really had to do. He told me that they had the intake manifold off but nothing in the notes about that. They had the alternator off and nothing about why. They had a bunch of TSB stuff listed but no info. One of the TSB there was a statement that they did not see the reason behind the test. The truck look really nice after three days of salt spray on it. They changed the oil and filter and did the TSB for over full oil check. I did get a complimentary safety inspection so they say. Time will tell.
If you want to PM me your vin i can run the Oasis on the truck and see what all they did.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:52 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by hodgekuter
SandDemon08 how do you like your '08 6.4 I just bought one after having an '01 7.3 and then a new '05 6.0. So far I really like mine.

Bill in KY
I am totaly satisfied, its been at a great truck so far. Its a Job 1 truck and I have 13,000 miles on it now with only one repair. It was a o-ring on one of the fuel line banjo fittings. It was a in out repair.