1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Holy stuff Get financing if you want to buy wheel studs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:34 PM
bandlgeorge
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Holy stuff Get financing if you want to buy wheel studs!!!

I just got a price for replacement wheel studs. MSRP is $8.12 each and I am replacing all 16 up front!!!! Local stealership wanted $10.85 each!!!!! Found another stealership that actually followed the MSRP listed on powerstrokehop.com of $8.12. Luckily powerstrokeshop offers them for $6.33 each. Guess I'll buy some more filters while I'm at it. Sorry, just had to rant. I was pissed!!!

Last edited by bandlgeorge; 01-21-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 01-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Alon@ModBargains
Senior User
Why are you replacing them all?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:47 PM
bandlgeorge
Elder User
Found 4 of them sheared off on my passenger side and I didn't trust the remaining 4 (one of which snapped off while I was trying to torque it down to try to get home) So I ended up "borrowing" 4 wheel studs from the drivers side to get off the mountain. I plan on replacing all 16 because the with 4 on each side, I'm willing to bet they have been taking more of a beating than usual, and I didn't want to bet my truck on leaving them there. I have only driven about 100 miles like this, but just looking for piece of mind. Guess it reinforced to me that powerstrokeshop.com has great prices. I couldn't find the part in their "drill-down" menu, but direct part search found it. School of hard knocks.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Even they complain about their website. If I have difficulty I just email them. They will either respond back or call if there are several questions.

Look at the bright side. At least you have a reliable place to deal with that offers better prices than most. I'm not sure I can say fair prices cuz almost $7 for a fancy bolt does sound high. Does the $6.33 include new nuts too? That might be a little easier to swallow.

What did you do to shear 4 studs off? Your tires aren't that big.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
dc2842002
Senior User
I had to replace quite a few when I bout my truck. Four on one front wheel and one or two on each rear wheel. If I remember right they were pretty cheap from autozone but there were two different thread pitches used in 2003 and of course the one that autozone carries is not the one I needed. I have to buy them from the dealership. 11.XX if I remember right. Not to mention that I had to replace all of the lug nuts too because the PO used standard nuts and washers when he put the factory wheels back on before he sold it. Those are about $6 each from the stealership but I got a reasonable deal on a used set on ebay.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:11 PM
bandlgeorge
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Even they complain about their website. If I have difficulty I just email them. They will either respond back or call if there are several questions.

Look at the bright side. At least you have a reliable place to deal with that offers better prices than most. I'm not sure I can say fair prices cuz almost $7 for a fancy bolt does sound high. Does the $6.33 include new nuts too? That might be a little easier to swallow.

What did you do to shear 4 studs off? Your tires aren't that big.
I don't have any problems with powerstrokeshop.com. Glad to give them my business. I agree, I was surprised at the cost of a new bolt, especially since the AutoZone's NAPA's, Schucks around here were askinf from 2-3 each. One store siad he thought it might be because the truck is so new. It is "only" 6 years old???!!! Thought that would be old enough to have parts on the market.

Don't know what I did. Did a complete new rotors and pads, wheel bearing and hub service at 50,000 miles. It now has 54,000. I even torqued them to factory specs per guzzle's recommendations. The one thing I did not do was re-check my lug nuts a week or so later like I should have. My mistake. Don't know if the $6.33 includes new nuts. At some autoparts stores it did, at others it did not. I'm guessing the stealership wouldn't throw that part in. It's probably another $6.33

Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Be very careful how you get the old ones out of the hub assembly.

Don't just hammer them out, as there are precision bearings inside that hub which WILL be damaged if you do.

Looks like you should remove both hubs to take to a press. If you're going to do that, be sure to lube the needle bearings inside the hubs when you have them off.

Pop

Old 01-22-2008, 05:45 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Be very careful how you get the old ones out of the hub assembly.

Don't just hammer them out, as there are precision bearings inside that hub which WILL be damaged if you do.

Looks like you should remove both hubs to take to a press. If you're going to do that, be sure to lube the needle bearings inside the hubs when you have them off.

Pop
That's good information. I've never though about this. Since he has probably hammered out the first 4 to get himself home, how can you visually inspect a precision bearing to see if it's been damaged?

Old 01-22-2008, 07:10 AM
alstieg
Senior User
Maybe you want brand new studs but when I needed studs I took them from the old wheel bearing assy that I replaced 10k back. They were still in very good shape.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:29 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
I just replaced a couple of studs on a cummins a week ago. Unfortuatly the only place I could get them was the dealership. $12 a piece plus the lugnuts!!! Ouch.

My story is a little wild... Going down the road, heard a thumping noise, stopped, looked out the window at the tires. They are looked good, started down the highway again and the thumping continued. I looked out the window again the the front left tire was moving in and out a good five inches.

Four of my eight studes where sheared off. Out of the the four that were still on, 3 nuts where about an inch loose.

Wish we had a site like powerstrokeshop for that episode.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 AM
bandlgeorge
Elder User
SpringerPop-would those bearings be the needle bearings? I just serviced them. And as F350-6 mentioned, I already hammered the 4 out with a brass hammer. I didn't beat them hard, but it took some convincing to get them out.