6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

08 Powerstroke, non ULSD fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:34 PM
maximus2g
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Powerstroke, non ULSD fuel?

Can you run the 6.4 on regular diesel? I want to take a trip to mexico and they do not have ULSD fuel. I have getten conflicting advise on this. One says it will destroy the engine. the other says it will not harm the engine...

any thoughts?

Old 01-21-2008, 01:39 PM
66stang351
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maximus2g
Can you run the 6.4 on regular diesel? I want to take a trip to mexico and they do not have ULSD fuel. I have getten conflicting advise on this. One says it will destroy the engine. the other says it will not harm the engine...

any thoughts?
It is not recommended, but a tank of LSD won't harm the engine. It will fill the DPF quickly. It will cause issues if you run more than one tank thru it for that reason. If just one tank then back to ULSD you should be ok.

boulderbronco
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
To say that it will destroy the engine is a bit far in my opinion. However they are meant to use ULSD only. But you can use regular in a pinch. I am no expert but I have done my share of reading and research. I think if you were to strictly run the regular stuff you would clog up your EGR system, DPF, and emissions systems. So it would not be good for your engine but I don't think it would destroy it. A tank here and there and I think you would be ok. Just don't make a habbit of it.

rob_nc
Posting Guru
It won't harm the engine, but it will damage the DOC if enough LSD is burned.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:40 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 66stang351
It is not recommended, but a tank of LSD won't harm the engine. It will fill the DPF quickly. It will cause issues if you run more than one tank thru it for that reason. If just one tank then back to ULSD you should be ok.
Very good answer!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:41 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it won't be good for the dpf and can cause a void in warranty

Old 01-21-2008, 07:48 PM
kawtiper
Senior User
I would like to know what the statement " one tank should be ok " is based from. Where is this information?

Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
It is not advisable to use LSD at all, but in cases where there is no other option, LSD can be used. The reason for the low sulfur content of ULSD is to protect the DOC. Sulfur of sufficient quantities will coat the surface of the DOC and prevent it from making enough heat to oxidize soot. The DOC has the ability to "heal" itself if moderate quantities of LSD are used, such as a tank full now and then, but continuous use of LSD can lead to irreparable damage.

I will look for published information. The information I speak of was handed down to us via our catalyst supplier.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:15 AM
richfaa
Elder User
My 08 Ford owners says DO NOT USE......LSD diesel. as it will damage the motor...With all due respect to the forum experts. I will go with the folks who built the motor and provide the Warranty.The place to ask that question would be the manufacturer.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:34 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by richfaa
My 08 Ford owners says DO NOT USE......LSD diesel. as it will damage the motor...With all due respect to the forum experts. I will go with the folks who built the motor and provide the Warranty.The place to ask that question would be the manufacturer.
I think this statement is being used as a scare tactic. It will NOT harm the engine in any way, but it will damage the emissions equipment.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:48 AM
CATANG MOTORSPORTS
Junior User
I think most of you are saying the same thing. Do not use anything but ULSD unless you are in an emergency situation. If you got to hitchhike in Mexico and risk the wife and kids to potential gun totting Drug Runners or use regular Diesel and keep on trucking and risk some emission equipment hassles, we will choose the risk to the equipment. No arguing here.

Personally I feel the big difference between those that are not haveing regen issues and those that are, is caused by running something other than the ULSD fuel, either intentionally known or accidently via not paying enough attention to the labels or perhaps some gas stations are buying the cheaper LSD version and marketing it as ULSD fuel, again either intentionally or not intentionally. I suppose it could also be happening at the distribution level as well but I doubt it.

I think they ought to dye each grade differently so we know and can monitor for ourselves.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Ford has sent out a broadcast regarding this issue,i'll try to dig it up,but to some it up if the coustomer is using LSD advise them to change the oil at half the recomended intervals for heavy use along with half intervals for heavy use on the fuel filters. From memory i want to say 3,500 on the oil and 5,000 or 7,000 miles on the fuel filters.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:14 PM
dascro
Senior User
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
Ford has sent out a broadcast regarding this issue,i'll try to dig it up,but to some it up if the coustomer is using LSD advise them to change the oil at half the recomended intervals for heavy use along with half intervals for heavy use on the fuel filters. From memory i want to say 3,500 on the oil and 5,000 or 7,000 miles on the fuel filters.
But it long term use of LSD will still harm the DOC.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Thats a good question, they did not make a statement on that.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:23 PM
dascro
Senior User
I am certain that is true. But it is strange ford didn't make a statement about that.

Quick Reply: 08 Powerstroke, non ULSD fuel?