Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Cooling, Heating, Ventilation & A/C
Reload this Page >

5.0 Overheating, and leaking coolant at driver side head

Notices

Old 01-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Madmike33 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Allright guys, so here's what's going on?? I just swapped an 88 5.0L motor in my 92 Ranger. changed the cam, intake, lapped my valves, went to carb. I have a new timing set and cover, and a new water pump.
Here's the problem at first run up, motor seemd to run hot but figured air was trapped in the system,
anyways the next runnup after I rid the system of air, everything was running fine temp was good, thermostat was opening and closing as it should, and there was heat in the cab.
The third time I ran it, was road test time, at first everything started well, eventually throwing temp into the 200s* pull over, to find that my overflow had filled up and boiled over, and found that my driver side head was leaking coolant at the lower head bolts. I used new Felpro head gaskets at reassembly of motor, and was recently told that 85 up 5.0 blocks need thread sealer on the lower head bolts to prevent coolant leaks becuase the bolts extend into the water jackets.
I want to know if there's anything else I should be looking at? I went from everything working fine to no heat in the cab, the motor is overheating, and my driver side head is leaking at the head bolts. This all after low running hours, only about 1.5 hours on the motor. Assuming the head leak is only caused by the lack thread sealer at the head bolts, could a leak like this be the cause of all my other problems, maybe its affecting pressure and or maybe it's drawing in air to the system?? Could my new water pump be defective, how easy is it blow an new set of Felpro head gaskets, after 1.5 hours run??? Also I figure I'll try changing my thermostat, but that seems weird considering the thermostat is also new and has the same amount of hours on it (1.5hrs)

Any info at this point would be good info.

Thanx

Madmike33

Old 01-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Keepin It Real
Elder User
Keepin It Real is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Keepin It Real is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Got oil in the coolant? Coolant in the oil? Look in the coolant recovery tank for bubbles while engine is warming up. These are indicators of bad HG. I feel your pain.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
I don't think there's oil in the coolant, I'll have to drop the oil to find traces of coolant... will do. I didn't notice bubbles in the overflow when it was warming up but there was gurgling/bubbling in the overflow after I turned of the motor.

Thanx

Madmike33

Old 01-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Keepin It Real
Elder User
Keepin It Real is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Keepin It Real is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mad, check the vapor lock thread above this one for other ideas. If the thermostat is working, you should be able to wrap your hand around the upper rad. hose and it should be good and warm-even hot. New thermostats have been known to not work right. For as cheap as they are, always spend another dollar or two and get a good one. If you've got coolant in the oil, you'll see it on the dipstick.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Thanx for the tip, I'll check that thread right away. I do suspect the thermostat, plus it's not an expensive part even to troubleshoot. As for the head leaking well, I'll try to pull the lower head bolts one by one to coat them with thread sealer and retorque, hoping that'll seal the leak.

Madmike33