6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Cold & Early Morning Clicking ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:17 AM
pugster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cold & Early Morning Clicking ??

After I cranked the engine this morning there was some brief clicking - sounded like maybe under the hood near the master cylinder/steering wheel area. Only lasted about 30 seconds while I sat in the driveway and backed out. I noticed this 2 other times, again on cold mornings - but not a regular basis thing at all. I welcome any thoughts.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:52 PM
kawtiper
Senior User
Originally Posted by pugster
After I cranked the engine this morning there was some brief clicking - sounded like maybe under the hood near the master cylinder/steering wheel area. Only lasted about 30 seconds while I sat in the driveway and backed out. I noticed this 2 other times, again on cold mornings - but not a regular basis thing at all. I welcome any thoughts.
well lets see, how cold? and what oil vis are you using ?
could be a combination of the two. But 30sec does seem a little long for oil starvation.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
pugster
Senior User
Factory Issue

I'll check but everything is factory on viscosity & all. Yesterday it was about 40 degrees, this morning it was about 60 degrees. No clicking this morning.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:23 PM
kawtiper
Senior User
It should not be an oil problem at 60 or 40 with normal oil. 60deg where are you AZ. or TX?

Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Zeplik
New User
If it is coming from near your master cylinder it is probably the vacuum boost pump. The vacuum is used to operate the airflow for the heater/defroster, as well as engage the SOF 4WD hubs. In cold weather you tend to loose this vacuum sooner while the truck is sitting. The pump just gives a boost when the vacuum gets low. You can also hear the pump kick in while waiting for the glow plugs, before starting the engine. Hearing this occasionally (or more often when cold outside) is normal.

If you begin to hear this every time you start, or repeats often while driving, there's a severe vacuum leak. As a new vehicle that would not likely be a hose, but rather one of the front hubs not fully engaged or disengaged. I discovered that one recently myself!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Zeplik
New User
Oh, forgot to mention that the pump is the small, black cylinder device that sits on top of the fuse box, driver's side under the hood. When you hear that noise again, open the hood and feel the pump to see if it is shaking. If it is, then that's it.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:04 PM
pugster
Senior User
Thanks

Thanks, in TX & will definitely check next time I hear it. Been quiet since the post.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
farnorthdan
Junior User
40 to 60 degrees is cold.....sounds like a heat wave to me. I've got below zero here most mornings and my 08 fires right up without being plugged in. And it does make some weird noises when cold. I just egnore them..........

Old 01-31-2008, 01:26 PM
chancemartenson
New User
got that for sure when cold. keep wanting to ask the dealer, but it's always gone by the time i do the 30 mile trip there.