300 six hp and torque possibilities - Page 6 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

300 six hp and torque possibilities

Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 PM
rivet96
Senior User
rivet96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
I just love (not) how the 300 fans are always put down by the V8 crowd, in the 6cyl section of the forum.
Even the chevy guys will quite often state that, in their opinion, the 300 I6 is one of the toughest engines ever built. But, the Ford V8 crowd usually comes along to put the 300 down.
I didn't buy my truck because it had the 300, I bought it because it fit the bill for what I needed, and just happened to have a 300.
This thread has gone from a worthwhile, informative thread, to a worthless flame thread with lots of bickering. Like most any thread that gets posted in this section.
Exactly, very well said. kudos to you.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 PM
IcemanV8
Senior User
IcemanV8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
No one put the 300 down. You just can't expect no one to say something when you have someone actually saying the 300ci is more fun than any 'V8 Zombie'. Come on, V8 zombies lolol!?! All I said was that fun is relative. And that V8's will show their mods better than a 6 cylinder. The 300 is a great engine, but come on. And again, I am not saying there is something better or worse than the 300.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
I just love (not) how the 300 fans are always put down by the V8 crowd, in the 6cyl section of the forum.
Even the chevy guys will quite often state that, in their opinion, the 300 I6 is one of the toughest engines ever built. But, the Ford V8 crowd usually comes along to put the 300 down.
I didn't buy my truck because it had the 300, I bought it because it fit the bill for what I needed, and just happened to have a 300.
This thread has gone from a worthwhile, informative thread, to a worthless flame thread with lots of bickering. Like most any thread that gets posted in this section.
Oh the v-8 Zombie's haven't Totally Denigrated the 300 I-6, They just believe it's Only good for One thing & One thing only, A Tractor/Truck engine w/o any Performance Potential.
Then the v-8 Zombieís come onto the I-6 Forum & attempt to dissuade those seeking help w/ their 300 I-6ís that itís Not worth putting on the Performance Up-Grades to Make the 300 I-6 reach more of its potential, which means making them Breathe.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Harte3
Postmaster
Harte3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Harte3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Each to his own...And any argument as to which is "best" is purely subjective. Best for what? It is like trying to define "perfect"...Perfect for what? I prefer the 300 I6 and in particular MY 300 I6...it is "best" and "perfect" for ME...Although I think the good Colonel's engine would be "better" in my truck rather than his .

Old 01-30-2008, 09:12 PM
The_SnowMan710
Posting Guru
The_SnowMan710 has a good reputation on FTE.The_SnowMan710 has a good reputation on FTE.
i think the v8 guys need to quit freaking out everytime one of us say we like a 300, chill out

Old 01-30-2008, 09:41 PM
rivet96
Senior User
rivet96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Harte3
Each to his own...And any argument as to which is "best" is purely subjective. Best for what? It is like trying to define "perfect"...Perfect for what? I prefer the 300 I6 and in particular MY 300 I6...it is "best" and "perfect" for ME...Although I think the good Colonel's engine would be "better" in my truck rather than his .

Once again, well said. kudos to you aswell! and i think all sixers here want Sir Colonel's motor in thier ride!

Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 AM
tjthegreat
Elder User
tjthegreat is starting off with a positive reputation.
unfortunately both engines are dead id like to see a modern 4.9 though

Old 01-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.
As in EFI's that started the 4.9L designation?
As the Carb.'d version, to my knowledge, were designated 300c.i.'rs.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:28 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Rogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Col Flashman
As in EFI's that started the 4.9L designation?
As the Carb.'d version, to my knowledge, were designated 300c.i.'rs.
The 4.9L designation came along before the EFI was added. Even the decal under my hood (1980 F-150) lists the engine displacement as 4.9L.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 AM
thunderb
Senior User
thunderb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by IcemanV8
No one put the 300 down. You just can't expect no one to say something when you have someone actually saying the 300ci is more fun than any 'V8 Zombie'. Come on, V8 zombies lolol!?! All I said was that fun is relative. And that V8's will show their mods better than a 6 cylinder. The 300 is a great engine, but come on. And again, I am not saying there is something better or worse than the 300.
I have to disagree with that post. I have a ball driving my 300. I just can't get over lugging around at 600RPM or the set-back-in-your-seat acceleration
when I give her the pedal. Gotta love that torque. Plus, very few people have ever seen a modded 300 six. It's very unique.

My mods are simple, cheap, and added at least 50% more power to my truck.

However, I like both the bent 8's and I6's. I especially like BIG V8's.
If you're gonna have one, might as well have a big blue one

Last edited by thunderb; 02-05-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by thunderb
I have to disagree with that post. I have a ball driving my 300. I just can't get over lugging around at 600RPM or the set-back-in-your-seat acceleration
when I give her the pedal. Gotta love that torque. Plus, very few people have ever seen a modded 300 six. It's very unique.

ha ha.. I agree completely. It's almost scarey how the 300 comes alive when you give it a little gas. It seems timid if you drive it easy. But I'm pretty sure if I tried hard enough I could break my own neck off the line. HA!

I'm wanting to build my 300 just for the unique factor. Built 300's are rare. And to the younger generation, many haven't even heard of "inline sixes''. I didn't when I first bought my truck.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:59 AM
tjthegreat
Elder User
tjthegreat is starting off with a positive reputation.
ya i remeber when one of my buddies got an f250 i asked what motor it had in it he said straight six i laughed and ironically i have one now

Old 02-05-2008, 12:47 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by tjthegreat
ya i remeber when one of my buddies got an f250 i asked what motor it had in it he said straight six i laughed and ironically i have one now
You laughed? Obviously you had no experience with them. :P Do you have any pictures of your truck? Is it a 250 or just a 1/2 ton?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:51 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
optikal illushun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
ha ha.. I agree completely. It's almost scarey how the 300 comes alive when you give it a little gas. It seems timid if you drive it easy. But I'm pretty sure if I tried hard enough I could break my own neck off the line. HA!

I'm wanting to build my 300 just for the unique factor. Built 300's are rare. And to the younger generation, many haven't even heard of "inline sixes''. I didn't when I first bought my truck.
BTDT

Old 02-05-2008, 01:24 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by optikal illushun
BTDT
What does that mean?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 300 six hp and torque possibilities

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.