300 six hp and torque possibilities - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

300 six hp and torque possibilities

Old 01-25-2008, 06:11 PM
fomocoguy3
Freshman User
fomocoguy3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
With all the hoopla over which is better, a 300 or 302, I really felt that if I used either one it may cause some animosity between me and the ones with their feelings hurt over my rejection of their particular engine of choice, so I choose niether.

I just cut a deal on a nice complete 70k mile 1972 460 with a good C6 for $250! Let the build begin!

Thanks for all the helpful info fellas!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by fomocoguy3
With all the hoopla over which is better, a 300 or 302, I really felt that if I used either one it may cause some animosity between me and the ones with their feelings hurt over my rejection of their particular engine of choice, so I choose niether.

I just cut a deal on a nice complete 70k mile 1972 460 with a good C6 for $250! Let the build begin!

Thanks for all the helpful info fellas!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 PM
thunderb
Senior User
thunderb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Now that sounds fun.

i had a 73 2wd F100 with the 302 and it was dog. My six would run circles around it stock for stock.

The 302 is great for lightweight cars, but in a 4000lb vehicle, it's overburdened.

Someone in this thread said the 300's are slow and only good for pulling loads? Mine scoots pretty well off the line considering it's a tractor motor with a 4 brrl. I built mine for $500 thanks to Ebay and user forums, so it was very affordable too. I don't race it, I just drive it and enjoy it, so no dyno numbers or 1/4 mile times for my truck.

If I had a 70's Ford truck with a 302, I'd swap it for a 351W since all the mounts are all there and the 70's 302's were such dogs. I'm sure a manifold, 4 brrl carb, and headers would do wonders to a 302, but it would do even more for a 351.

The 460 sounds like a great deal and will be an absolute ball to drive, until the tank runs empty. But, if it's just a weekend truck, that doesn't matter anyway.

i 've had 73-79 Fords with the 302, 351W, 351M, and now the 300.

I origionally bought my truck to pull the 300 and drop in a 460, but after driving the 300 around, discovered what a great truck motor it is and decided to keep it and add a few simple mods. I enjoy the novely of a modded six. I even like love the way it sounds.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:18 PM
IcemanV8
Senior User
IcemanV8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just out of curiosity, do you think your truck would outrun a 302 EFI like mine on a straight-away/drag strip? We both have a 3.50 axle ratio, too. I've read here the EFI 302's run, and not to start a war, better than the carbed 302's. That's not to say that a better carb wouldn't do wonders or anything. I've just never heard of the 300's being 'faster' than a 302.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:58 PM
rivet96
Senior User
rivet96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Silver Streak
The 305 wasn't that bad. The biggest problem with it was when it was developed. No auto engine that came to exist in the 70's was worth a crap. If you look at the bore:stroke ratio of the 305, which was what people hated about it the most, and compare it to the engines of today you'll see that it was well ahead of its time.
I agree. My dad owns an 1986 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd ex gov't truck with a 305 stock other than a chrome breather w/ K&N Air filter. Its not the fastest motor, but it is a good working motor. It does pull very well, we pull a 1973 Chrysler Courier 231 18' bowrider (aswell as fuel, battery etc.) to our cottage and back with her up various steep grades and she pulls fine. and if you know boats...you know thats one HEAVY boat!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:18 PM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
Originally Posted by IcemanV8
Just out of curiosity, do you think your truck would outrun a 302 EFI like mine on a straight-away/drag strip? We both have a 3.50 axle ratio, too. I've read here the EFI 302's run, and not to start a war, better than the carbed 302's. That's not to say that a better carb wouldn't do wonders or anything. I've just never heard of the 300's being 'faster' than a 302.
My only experience in this reguard is when I raced another Bronco off the line at a stop light that led to an inter-city 55mph connector. He had the same front end as me, so I know that it was the same era and not EFI ('80 - '86). I also could tell it was a V8 simply because of the sound. Both of us had it pinned and off the light I left him in the dust.
However, once our speed built up, I couldn't keep it floored enough to keep my lead and he flew past me.
So off the line, yeah, but after that, the 302's definitely had the speed. I imagine that when both went to EFI, it's probably the same story.

Last edited by AbandonedBronco; 01-29-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:26 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
My only experience in this reguard is when I raced another Bronco off the line at a stop light that led to an inter-city 55mph connector. He had the same front end as me, so I know that it was the same era and not EFI ('80 - '86). I also could tell it was a V8 simply because of the sound. Both of us had it pinned and off the light I left him in the dust.
However, once our speed built up, I couldn't keep it floored enough to keep my lead and he flew past me.
So off the line, yeah, but after that, the 302's definitely had the speed. I imagine that when both went to EFI, it's probably the same story.

What AbandonedBronco said. I went up against another FlareSide one time. This one was older. 70's or 80's model. Nice truck. I imagine it had a V8 and it was carb'd. He had the lead by about 1/4 of a truck. He couldn't pull away and I couldn't keep up (halfway through we hit a bridge so the speed got slashed) and mine is EFI. We were going about 80/ 90, no biggie. He had to take an exit so the race quit.

Long story short, a V8 is faster than an I6 in the long run. :P

Although I'd like to go up against another 302, only with EFI. I know I would get smoked but I'm curious to see if my truck could hang.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:10 PM
IcemanV8
Senior User
I'm willing to run em for ****s and giggles. Sure, it'd be some of the slowest racing around (besides all those honda civic ricers), but I'm always up for some good competition.

Then we can head back to my field and do some truck pulls, lol.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:07 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by IcemanV8
I'm willing to run em for ****s and giggles. Sure, it'd be some of the slowest racing around (besides all those honda civic ricers), but I'm always up for some good competition.

Then we can head back to my field and do some truck pulls, lol.

You would probably win both. Have you seen my tires? ha ha. To heck with it, let's do it anyway!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:50 PM
tjthegreat
Elder User
tjthegreat is starting off with a positive reputation.
i would stick with the 302 just cause i have a 302 and a 300 and i think the 302 is a more fun motor but for daily driving and working i would stick with a 300 a 300 is a better pulling motor than the 302 but the 302 is a lot faster fast=FUN

Old 01-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.
That all depends on whether or not you leave a 300 I-6 Stock or Modify it, now doesn't it.
W/ just some basic Performance Add-Ons, the 300 I-6 can be far More fun than any Zombie v-8 of similar C.I. displacement.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:26 PM
IcemanV8
Senior User
^Says you. You might also find reading shakespeare to be fun. Fun is relative, but mod for mod, V8's get the most improvement.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:42 PM
5.0Torx
Elder User
5.0Torx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
flashman youre the only one saying a 300 will be faster/more fun than a 302. And, the OP ALREADY HAS ONE. itd be different if he already had a 300. Besides that, he bought a 460 which will put both to shame. let it go, for once.

and quit treating your opinions and biasses as fact.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Rogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to behold
I just love (not) how the 300 fans are always put down by the V8 crowd, in the 6cyl section of the forum.
Even the chevy guys will quite often state that, in their opinion, the 300 I6 is one of the toughest engines ever built. But, the Ford V8 crowd usually comes along to put the 300 down.
I didn't buy my truck because it had the 300, I bought it because it fit the bill for what I needed, and just happened to have a 300.
This thread has gone from a worthwhile, informative thread, to a worthless flame thread with lots of bickering. Like most any thread that gets posted in this section.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Silver Streak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I agree, it's time to either let it go or lock it down.

My final input on this is that until I had the truck I've got now, I would have never put the 300 above a 302. I had no intention of keeping this truck, but it did everything I wanted it to so well that I would have been a fool to get anything else and now it's become a member of the family. I won't have another 302, it just doesn't get it done as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 300 six hp and torque possibilities

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.