Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Service Engine Soon Light - Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:55 AM
RUMO
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Engine Soon Light - Rough Idle

I started my 7.3L XLT today after about 3-4 weeks of non-use.

I noticed the Service Engine Soon Light came on and stayed on after the engine started. Initially, the motor seemed to run fine, but after letting it idle for a few minutes, it stalled.

I started it again (and again the Service Engine Soon Light came on and stayed on) and the idle was very rough! Turned it off, waited a few minutes, and the Service Engine Soon Light didn't come on, but, the engine idle was VERY rough??!!

The vehicle has been sitting in a warehouse, and used very infrequently over the last 9 - 12 months.

I checked the engine oil level - looked fine.

Any suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-19-2008, 11:25 AM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Find someone that can pull the codes and that should tell you what is going on.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:53 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

How many miles are on the oil? Clean full oil is a must for proper operation. There's a possibility you've got air in the oil rails that needs to work it's way out. How long did you let the truck run before you gave up?

You might also have bad fuel. Did you put in any kind of treatment before you let it sit? Generally diesel should be used within 6 months.

Were there any issues before you parked it?

Old 01-19-2008, 02:12 PM
wfmcbride
Senior User
If you were blowing white smoke it could be water in the fuel filter housing, drain the fuel from the housing via the yellow drain valve on the back of the housing and check again.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 PM
RUMO
New User
Thanks for your suggestions.
There was no white smoke.
I'd just come back from a 200 mile round trip drive about 3 weeks prior, and it didn't miss a beat.
Didn't run it for very long at all initially - say 30 secs to 1 minute - after reading your posts, I started it up again this morning and ran it for about 5 mins and it seemed to get better - just the ocassional miss at idle, but ran well above 1500 RPM.
I'll drop the oil and change the filter, and see if my mechanic has got a tester that will "pull the codes".
I'm in Perth Western Australia, and the Ford Dealers here won't sell testers to anyone, and charge exhorbitant amounts to put a tester on a F250, and charge even more exhorbitantly if a sensor needs replacing (eg: $800 - $1200AUD)??!! Can anyone recommend a tester, and a reputable supplier where I can buy one over the internet?
Once again, thanks.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:43 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE Rumo. Most of us are fond of the Auto Enginuity scan tool. You will need the enhanced ford package to read the Powerstroke codes. The best place to get them is usually here: http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail

Old 01-22-2008, 06:19 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
has this truck been in for a CPS recal yet ??

Old 01-22-2008, 10:21 PM
RUMO
New User
We put a tester on it and the code for a faulty ICP came up!!

Checked with local Ford 'stealers' and my Perth W. Australian price is $486.00 AUD!!

Any suggestions where I can best get a hold of 1/2 a dozen of these things over the web?

I've got 4 mates with F250's (which we use to pull fishing boats around), so I'm guessing that if my F250 needs a new ICP at 52,000 KMS that they may need them soon as well (all under 100,000 KMS).

(Ron, I don't know for sure if it's the ICP until I get a replacement one fitted up, but, I'm pretty sure that a new ICP will fix the problem - I will, ofcourse let you know one way or the other).

Thanks again for your replies and suggestions to date!!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:48 AM
RUMO
New User
Just thought I would let you guys know - as suggested elsewhere on this forum, I disconnected the wiring to the ICP and took the truck for a 20 minute drive and it didn't miss a beat!!

Is there a problem with running the truck with the ICP disconnected until I can source a reasonably price replacement (say 1 - 2 weeks)?

Any suggestions on where I can buy a few reasonably priced ICP's over the web would be much appreciated?

Last edited by RUMO; 01-23-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 AM
redneckboy
Senior User
Originally Posted by RUMO
Just thought I would let you guys know - as suggested elsewhere on this forum, I disconnected the wiring to the ICP and took the truck for a 20 minute drive and it didn't miss a beat!!

Is there a problem with running the truck with the ICP disconnected until I can source a reasonably price replacement (say 1 - 2 weeks)?

Any suggestions on where I can buy a few reasonably priced ICP's over the web would be much appreciated?
Well From what I have read there is no problem running with unpluged and I have a freind that has been running with unpluged sense october and his truck is fine. But Dont do it till some one else confirms this.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:33 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
You can buy them here. But I don't know if they ship internationally.

http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...&subcat2=73147

For what it's worth, the old body style (94.5-97) powerstrokes have the same part #. Maybe you could luck out and find one in a junk yard or something. And really it's a 2 minute deal to change. If you don't have a junk yard, pm me. Texas may have something for you.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
RUMO, your part is on it's way compliments of Death Row Diesel.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RUMO

It could also be the IPR ....

The ICP is a cheaper test...

Old 01-24-2008, 08:11 PM
aocabrown
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RUMO....I picked up an ICP sensor on Ebay for about $50. A snap to change. If you can't find one that will ship to you I still have my old one I took out 2 weeks ago. I'm sure it still works ok.... I changed trying to find a way to cheaply chase/fix another problem. I wouldn't mind dropping it in the mail for you to at least try it if you can't find another...better than the $500 local dealer rip-off for sure.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:16 AM
RUMO
New User
Thank you very much for everyone's suggestions and the direct offers of help made - (especially RubberDuck - thanks mate!!)

This Forum is amazing!!

Thanks again to everyone.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon Light - Rough Idle