Well, the time has come-

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, the time has come-

For me to move on.
Yup, thanks to some very generous help from our former landlords, my wife and I are now homeowners! Well, doublewide and garage owners, but it's all good.
A little under $130k for a nice all original 2bd/2ba doublewide with a 24x24 2car garage, on .29 acres. It'll take about 15mins off my drive to work in the morning, and about 1/2 hour off the evening commute.
Now comes the fun part, actually moving into this place- We'll probably rip the nice original green **** out of the place before then. Plus, I do need to put cement in the garage since it only has a dirt floor. But, it's our place, and another step taken.
I'll try and get some pics up in the next couple days, need to get over there during the daylight though. After I finish the brakes on the Galaxie. And putting the cyl head back on the Jeep. And put the starter back in the truck.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is pretty darn awesome Jared! Now you will have a place and some room to get the newest member of your family some pets. I am thinking a few dogs, a horse, a Mustang and and F-150...LOL

You already know that there a quite a few of us that know a little about building and such...Give us a hollar if you could use a hand...That is what WAFTE is about.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Placermike; 12-21-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:02 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Congradulations man!

Like george says, put a shout out ifin yall need any help remodeling or moving!

Dont be so quick to cement your garage, dirt soaks up all the oil, grease, and blood that gets spilled while wrenchin!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow!! That is so cool, Jared!!! It's way better to pay off your mortgage than somebody else's!!! Congratulations!! Whoo Hoo!!! When's the House Warming Party???

Old 12-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
I'll let you know once we get everything together. Might wind up doing a GTG at the park down the road if lots of people want to come- this place has about two parking spots for the three cars that won't fit in the garage.
I wouldn't mind leaving the gravel, but hoists, engine stands, creepers, and tool carts don't like soft floors, not to mention tools and parts that might get swallowed up. I can only imagine if I would have dropped that u-joint cap this morning on gravel instead of pavement... I can also set up my burner/boiler to run a hydronic system to heat the cement instead of a car radiator and fan-

Old 12-22-2007, 01:05 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats. Best place to invest your money. So I've been told. Still in Port Orchard area? New Lowe's should have opened yesterday.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Really? Didn't see any announcements about it, but then I haven't been looking.
The new place is in Chico, right near the country club and golf course. At the other end of the street are $500k-$750k houses, so the plan is to drop a newer modular on this lot in a few years and get more than it's worth-

Old 12-22-2007, 08:55 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
My parents live right down the road a bit.....3 or 4 miles. They also saw all the signs for the new Home Depot are gone.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
I think they canceled the Port Orchard HD, since Lowes got into town first and the economy flattened.
Got the keys tonight, and took some measurements. My trailer will easily fit between the house and fence, so that's where it and the truck will get parked, and there is room for three vehicles in the garage- It's 30x28 inside. This place will be easy to fence too, since it's just fillers between the house, garage, neighbor's fence, and a ~100' run across the back.
Anybody here have a cement mixer I could borrow for a bit? Even one that needs work, I just don't feel like mixing as much as I need in a wheelbarrow.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Placermike
Postmaster
Jared...You may want to calculate the cost of bringing a truck in. The minimum is usually three cubic yards, and is about 65- 90 dollars. When you consider the time saved it is well worth the effort to have forms in place, then call for the pour...You are talking about 7.78 cubic yards at a thickness of 3 inches there.

Rent a float for about $10, and buy the pour...You can have the floor for less than $200 and a few hours of your time. Your form can be made from 1x4's with some stakes for support...If you have any friends doing construction in the area, you will be able to get that for nothing but travel to pick them up. You just need 840 linear foot.

Last edited by Placermike; 12-29-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
I have to move stuff in before I can get the floor done, so I plan on doing it in four squares. I know it would be easier to have a truck do it, but given the somewhat soft driveway, tight clearances, and my cheap nature, I'd rather do it myself. I am going to rent a 3' power trowel, as well as run a plate compactor around in there before pouring.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:52 AM
Placermike
Postmaster
I am very cost conscious...Renting a power trowel will cost about half the cement you want to put in...Based on your last post, you are talking about atleast a 33% increase in cost.

You can work the mud with a float!...It does take more time. However, the finished product can be the same. I have worked small areas with a hand float, and they ended up looking like the original cement work.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
I can rent a power trowel for about $40 a day, but I didn't really even think of a float- I think that's about $10 a day. When I did the first (and only) section of the new drainage sluice here, I hand floated it, and got a very nice finish. It did take a bit of work though, that's why I was thinking the power trowel for a large surface like that. I'll give the float a try, see how it goes.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:32 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Rent a mixer, have a fifth of Crown on site. I will sweet talk my neighbor w/Crown to come over and assist. We poured my whole backyard by #80 bags. Mike and Marty both know my landscaping. Best part is we already have the tools.

There are 3 things I guarantee concrete will do
1. Get hard
2. Turn gray
3. Crack

Old 12-30-2007, 01:30 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by lostmybeer
Rent a mixer, have a fifth of Crown on site. I will sweet talk my neighbor w/Crown to come over and assist. We poured my whole backyard by #80 bags. Mike and Marty both know my landscaping. Best part is we already have the tools.

There are 3 things I guarantee concrete will do
1. Get hard
2. Turn gray
3. Crack

same three things that happens to a man through life

Quick Reply: Well, the time has come-