New Hampshire Chapter Join Chapter Leader: 7283-F250

Say Hello to ArdWrknTrk !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:58 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,065 Likes on 4,165 Posts
Say Hello to ArdWrknTrk !!!

Hey New England...give a shout out to our newest member...ArdWrknTrk!!! Jim lives in Southwest Connecticut and owns a 1986 F-250 with a 460. Hopefully we'll get to meet Jim at one of our future GTGs!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 06:24 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ArdWrknTrk welcome to the New England chapter we are glad we have another member helps us to grow hope to see you soon at our GTG's

Old 01-15-2008, 07:28 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Smile Thank you for the welcome!

Hi everyone!

Just want to introduce myself and thank BIGKEN for the invitation.

I'm new to the FTE forum and looking forward to meeting some of you @ a GTG soon.
About myself: I'm a 45 year old divorced finish carpenter w/ a 3000 sq' shop, a dog and a motorcycle. I live a couple of blocks from Long Island Sound.

Guess we'll see what the rest of the winter brings. I understand that a lot of New England has been slammed, but all the way down here there's not a bit of snow. For some this means work and others play. Me, i'm missing out on all of it.

Last edited by ArdWrknTrk; 01-15-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: forgot I had a sig now
Old 01-15-2008, 08:07 PM
shortbed7.3
Senior User
welcome to fte! i'm also from ct, and hope we can get together in the future!!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Hi everyone!

Just want to introduce myself and thank BIGKEN for the invitation.

I'm new to the FTE forum and looking forward to meeting some of you @ a GTG soon.
About myself: I'm a 45 year old divorced finish carpenter w/ a 3000 sq' shop, a dog and a motorcycle. I live a couple of blocks from Long Island Sound.

Guess we'll see what the rest of the winter brings. I understand that a lot of New England has been slammed, but all the way down here there's not a bit of snow. For some this means work and others play. Me, i'm missing out on all of it.

LOL....My shop is only 300 sq ft....If it was bigger I suppose the rent would be also..

Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Buzzman
Senior User
Howdy neighbor. I'm up the coast on the RI/CT border.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:11 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Hey Buzzman how are you doing tonight?

Old 01-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Buzzman
Senior User
Hey, I am doing okay. Worked in my shop today, building a new table for my drill press. How's everything up north.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:41 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Buzzman
Hey, I am doing okay. Worked in my shop today, building a new table for my drill press. How's everything up north.

Not bad today I have a couple of chapter members coming over tomorrow and we are going out for lunch

Old 01-16-2008, 11:43 AM
7283-F250
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome ArdWrknTrk

Hope you have some fun here.
Finish carpentry hey. I have a project I have yet to start. I want to make a lit cabinet for my shot glass collection. I have ideas in my head but thats all it is right now.

As for you truck. I sold it but my 83 F250 4x4 is in my picture gallery. I miss it but don't miss the gas payments with 10pmg on a good day.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:32 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Hi 7283-F250,

Originally Posted by 7283-F250
I have a project I have yet to start. I want to make a lit cabinet for my shot glass collection.
How many glasses do you have ? And what style/ material are you looking to use? Just glass shelves w/ some halogen pucks, or something more interesting...... perhaps multicolored LEDs flashing like a puerto rican license plate frame?
(no offense intended)

As for you truck. I sold it but my 83 F250 4x4 is in my picture gallery. I miss it but don't miss the gas payments with 10pmg on a good day.
I took a look, if you don't mind me asking how much did you get for it and how miles were on it? I ask this because i'm shopping for a "donor" for a mild buildup to transplant into mine. I know I'm not going to get better milage out of the BB so I thought if it was optimized I'd be using less throttle for the same performance. At over 300k the bottom end is pretty tired.

>sglaine, What do you do w/ your shop?

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
>sglaine, What do you do w/ your shop?

I own a computer repair business... ...

Old 01-16-2008, 08:20 PM
7283-F250
Cargo Master
Hi 7283-F250,

How many glasses do you have ? And what style/ material are you looking to use? Just glass shelves w/ some halogen pucks, or something more interesting...... perhaps multicolored LEDs flashing like a puerto rican license plate frame?
(no offense intended)!
Quite a few but still adding. I have normal ones of regular 1 shot size and some tall double shots and a few "fancy" ones. I was thinking a basic thin (shot glass depth) multi leveled wall cabinet. Plexy glass door and not sure if I'm going to do qood or plexy/glass for the shelves. For lighting I was thinking of a type of rope lighting or row of LED's (just white is fine). Maybe the multi colored disco for the "fancy" ones.

I took a look, if you don't mind me asking how much did you get for it and how miles were on it? I ask this because i'm shopping for a "donor" for a mild buildup to transplant into mine. I know I'm not going to get better milage out of the BB so I thought if it was optimized I'd be using less throttle for the same performance. At over 300k the bottom end is pretty tired.

Well this is a sorta long story.
Bought in 99 for $1200 with about 175K. Drove 3 or 4 months and added oil as it needed it (every other day). Drove to a location for work and no problems. Checked and added oil when I got out of location. Got on highway and rap-rap-rap. Lower end knock. Ended up getting a tow home and after a while decided to have the 351W rebuilt. $3 grand (if memory serves me correct) and they did a lousy job. rebuild was fine but it had a slight oil leak and they put the thermostat in backwards. Burlington VT ot Providence RI was a cold one in the fall. Luckily the t-stat allowed water to flow still but I had no heat untill I fixed the dirrection it was installed.

Truck was running fine.

$1100 brake job done.

Was turning into a gas station and I got T-Boned on pass side(my fault because I was making a left turn. Not hers because she was doing about 15 over the speed limit approaching a traffic light). Caved bottom of door and poped seam between roof and back of cab. I was proud of myself. It was a 4 speed and I didn't even stall it out. I also just felt a little tap and body rolled just slightly(like it does if you were to drive slowly onto a curb with one tire). Drove around like that for a while than did a Cab swap (April-may of 02). Added a 3 inch body lift at same time. Also repainted the whole truck. $400+ for paint and $0 for cousin to spray it.
Had truck running pretty good and most of the little things fixed and ended up selling it. Ex had part to do with it.
Sold in Sept(ish) 04 before gas hit the $2/ gal mark.
Sold for $1500. Yep I lost quite a bit. Had it on a buddy's lot for a few weeks and I didn't hear of anyone asking about it. Sold it on Ebay in the last 2 hours of the 7 day auction.

And I am now keeping the Toyota that I was thinking about selling because it is running fine and the $1000 I might get for it is not worth it. not making that mistake again. Its becoming my plow truck and winter racer.

Last edited by 7283-F250; 01-16-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:18 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I was thinking a basic thin (shot glass depth) multi leveled wall cabinet. Plexy glass door and not sure if I'm going to do qood or plexy/glass for the shelves. For lighting I was thinking of a type of rope lighting or row of LED's
I'd reccomend against Plexi. It scratches and attracts dust. Not to mention it's wobbly in larger pieces like a door panel unless you use something really thick like .300" or better. IMO, glass is better in this application and easier to keep clean. I've done quite a few barbacks in my day.

Bought in 99 for $1200 with about 175K. <snip> Sold for $1500. Yep I lost quite a bit.
How many miles did you cover in those 9 years? That still seems to me $466 @ year or $39 a month, a lot less than a payment. Heck, it's less than my insurance! Perhaps there were some more maintence items than a new vehicle but at least you didn't have to bring it to a dealer to keep up a warranty.
That's about how I feel about mine. I know what's going on w/ it and how to fix it. Better than buying someone elses headache. I'm really happy w/ how my truck's held up and am trying to decide between a build or a longblock before the truck forces the issue. That's what brought me to FTE.

Thanks fore sharing,

Old 01-17-2008, 06:09 PM
7283-F250
Cargo Master
I only had the truck 4 years. And an easy $3000-$4000 into it not counting gas. I never did add up my man hours into the truck. The $1300 Ipaid for the truck was just the rebuild. I pulled it and installed it. The $1100 brakes was including labor. Winter + outside don't mix too well.
I don't regret it but looking back I always say "danm that was a lot of money".

Quick Reply: Say Hello to ArdWrknTrk !!!