1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Finally got my Christmas present!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:50 AM
reed1951
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Finally got my Christmas present!

Hey guys, a check came in that me and my wife were going to use to splurg on each other for christmas. (Yeah...no presents from each other on christmas just got everybody else something). Anyways I just bought a 5hp 60 gallon ingersoll rand compressor. It has 18.1 scfm...or what ever its called, its early...of air flow at 90psi. It also has a 100% duty cycle. The motor and engine look really beefy. I'm planning on using it for what ever I need for my truck and of course the house. Wanted to go with 80 gallon 2 stage but the 5hp 60 gallon was pushing the limit if you know what I mean. I could have gone with a 3hp 60 gallon but the cfm were only 11.3 at 90psi. Oh yeah see got make up, jewelry, and a purse I got something so much cooler, can't wait to pick it up!

Old 01-15-2008, 06:51 AM
reed1951
Posting Guru
Motor and PUMP look really beefy...sorry

Old 01-15-2008, 07:17 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
There's nothing like a stout air compressor to make working on your projects a more pleasurable experience. Of course you know that the never-ending list of cool air tool purchases starts now...

Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 AM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Good job! I bought a cheaper two-stage years ago, and have used the heck out of it! But, it runs constantly when I use the sandblast cabinet, and I've always worried it's going to poop on me someday, but it just keeps puttin' along. When it DOES go, I'm going with the ingersoll Rand Industrial-type. I know it would be the last one I ever buy!!

And yeah, to US your buy was the better one, but to her and her friends, hers is. Personally, there's nothing wrong with purty women, in make-up, jewelry, and nicely accessorized! That being said, if for any reason I ever looked for another woman, I would look for one with a truck!! now THAT'S accessorized!!

R

Old 01-15-2008, 08:10 AM
reed1951
Posting Guru
OH YEAH, already started thinking about em.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 AM
reed1951
Posting Guru
With the 18.1 cfm at 90psi Would I be able to sand blast some, maybe get one of those tabletop blasting cabinets

Old 01-15-2008, 08:21 AM
reed1951
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rcav8or
Good job! I bought a cheaper two-stage years ago, and have used the heck out of it! But, it runs constantly when I use the sandblast cabinet, and I've always worried it's going to poop on me someday, but it just keeps puttin' along. When it DOES go, I'm going with the ingersoll Rand Industrial-type. I know it would be the last one I ever buy!!

And yeah, to US your buy was the better one, but to her and her friends, hers is. Personally, there's nothing wrong with purty women, in make-up, jewelry, and nicely accessorized! That being said, if for any reason I ever looked for another woman, I would look for one with a truck!! now THAT'S accessorized!!

R
Yeah I know what you mean. But I can't get opver how much her purse was....and it is something she will probably use for maybe 6 months, well maybe alittle longer considering how much it costed. But I have to say she has earned it (her presents) She is in pharmacy school and is working hard.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:26 AM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!,I hope it makes life a little easier for you.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 AM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Originally Posted by reed1951
With the 18.1 cfm at 90psi Would I be able to sand blast some, maybe get one of those tabletop blasting cabinets
Not a problem, whatsoever!! You have plenty of air, plus your compressor is good for continuous duty. You could go as big a unit that you wanted - short of the ones they use for bridges, etc...

I would go for the biggest one you can justify/afford - I had access to a little bench-top, but ended up buying a big SkatBlast cabinet, and don't regret it one bit - mine I can get a tire on the wheel in, as well as the inner fender wells. It's nice, because I can choose any media I want, and change it in a hurry.

But, I've always found that to be true about tools - buy the best you can, when you buy, and you'll never be unhappy. Of course, I also believe if you are buying what could be very expensive, and you're only going to use it a time or two, saving money is just as important. My "daily" tools are all high-quality, but the one or two use tools, can be Harbor Freight, etc, as long as they work the one time I need them to.

I did see an article on line, google for it, maybe, of a home-made cabinet - I think he saved quite a bit, and worked well for him....

R

Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Cheaper air tools tend to be air hogs, trading tighter tolerances and seals for noise and inefficiency. I have found the Aircat brand (carried at NT and others) to be well worth the few extra dollars over the imports and consumer grade IR tools. They are lighter, much quieter, more powerful than the others. Their compact 1/2" impact gun is especially nice, even my wife likes using it.