1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Brake Controller Fuse and Relay Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:43 PM
kailor
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Controller Fuse and Relay Question

I will be installing a Prodigy brake controller soon. I traced the 3-wire bundle from the 4-flat connector on the rear bumper back a couple of feet to the driver's side frame. From that connection, toward the front of the Expedition, I can see the bundle of wires that include the blue wire and the orange(?) wire. I've yet to locate the gray, six pin, three over three plug under the dash for the brake controller harness. My Expedition did not come with the Tow Package. Do I have a brake controller harness plug or am I looking for something that is not there or possibly in a location other than above the OBDII plug? It's very tight getting in there to take a look around. I think I might be overlooking it.

Also I've checked my fuse/relay module under the hood by the master cylinder and I'm missing these:

Half Relay # 203 "Trailer Tow Backup Lamp Relay"
Full Relay # 302 "Trailer Tow Battery Charge Relay"

Do I need these two relays for proper operation of the brake controller?
Thanks.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:54 PM
cachingcampers
New User
If your Expy doesn't have the tow package, you won't have the connector for the prodigy pigtail. On my Expy it was actually clipped on top of the OBD port. If it's not right there, then no luck.

On the relays, you WILL need the charge relay if you have a battery on your trailer, otherwise the +12v pin in the 7 way bargman will be dead. It was funny, the dealer told me it was obsolete( I bought the Expy used and was missing this relay) I did a little research, found it to be the same relay as the fuel pump, PDl and etc....callled the same dealer back, gave him the part # and low and behold he had 2 in stock.
The back up lamp relay is an axillary circuit primarily used for slide in truck campers. You won't be needing that one.
I just got my expy all set up for towing my trailer, so it's all fresh in my mind. Any questions just fire away.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:09 PM
kailor
Senior User
Thanks cachingcampers. If no brake controller harness plug, should I have this done at dealer or an RV place?

Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
cachingcampers
New User
I dunno........depends how handy you are. The prodigy is pretty simple install just 4 wires, +12v/ground/brake sense input/out to trailer. You will need to find a +12v circuit somewhere under the dash,not hard with the fuse box right there, a good ground,again not that hard to find with all that metal around, a wire diagram/test light to find which wire activates the brake lights when you hit the pedal, then you'll have to run a wire all the way to the rear bargman for the electric brakes.........sounds like alot of work, but I've wired mine up on several other non-tow package vehicles over a couple of cold ones!
Hope this helps.

Greg

Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 AM
SPRPRBGT
Senior User
do you know the parts umbers for the relays? and where can i get the harness for the controller. my used '00 didnt come with it

Old 08-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Eddie Hudson
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SPRPRBGT
do you know the parts umbers for the relays? and where can i get the harness for the controller. my used '00 didnt come with it
I recently purchased part # XL34 15A416 AE on eBay. It has both relays, the harness for the brake controller, and a 4 pin to 7 pin adapter. I've seen them sell for $1 - $20 on eBay. I guess Ford would charge quite a bit more. The harness plugs in under the dash near the steering column and you splice it to your controller. I don't know the numbers off the relays but as stated, one is the same as the Fuel Pump Relay.

My 2001 has a 4 pin connector in the rear and when I traced it back it went to a connector that had the extra wires for the 7 pin connector. If I ever dig up a 7 pin harness, all I have to do is remove the 4 pin and install the 7 pin.