1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Capacity - Am I pushing it too far?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 AM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, the 37s and 4.56s will be fine. If you still had 3.73s your EGTs would be high.

Where are you located?
There is a truck around here that looks very similar.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
A_Flyfisher
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a few things to keep in mind that the prior posts did not highlight.

I have a 2000 F250 PSD, and the limit for conventional towing (5th wheel tow limits are higher) on mine was (I believe) 10,000#. Your truck would be similar, and perhaps somewhat higher.

However, it isn't the tow limit that's an issue, IMO opinion, but the trailer's tongue weight, together with the payload capacity of the F250, that is one of the things that you should watch.

If your loaded trailer weighs 10,000#, you should make sure that the tongue weight is at least 15%-20% of this loaded weight (don't put that Jeep so far back that it acts like a teter toter, with a lot of the weight behind those trailer axles).

The Payload on your truck is somewhere around 3,000#. That's a critical weight in your case to keep your eyes on. The payload includes everything you load into the truck - passengers, full tank of gas, stuff loaded in the bed, etc., plus the trailer's tongue weight (which alone might be 2,000# of those 3,000# allowed pounds).

Lastly, you may wish to consider getting a sway control and weight distribution hitch, to keep the trailer from swaying as you tow it, and to transfer some of the tongue weight onto your front axle.

That may seem like a bit much to consider, but if you do all of that, and keep your speed under control, you should be okay with that load.

John

Old 01-15-2008, 04:01 PM
MeyerzF350
Senior User
Take it to the scales to be sure.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:12 PM
joe_jeep
Freshman User
ive done 16,000lbs with a v10 f250 4x4 quite often. youre fine! with a diesel watch the egt's

Old 01-15-2008, 04:16 PM
MeyerzF350
Senior User
You may have "done-it", but not legally under the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratio.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Cecil_Stringer
Senior User
Originally Posted by A_Flyfisher
There's a few things to keep in mind that the prior posts did not highlight.

I have a 2000 F250 PSD, and the limit for conventional towing (5th wheel tow limits are higher) on mine was (I believe) 10,000#. Your truck would be similar, and perhaps somewhat higher.

However, it isn't the tow limit that's an issue, IMO opinion, but the trailer's tongue weight, together with the payload capacity of the F250, that is one of the things that you should watch.

If your loaded trailer weighs 10,000#, you should make sure that the tongue weight is at least 15%-20% of this loaded weight (don't put that Jeep so far back that it acts like a teter toter, with a lot of the weight behind those trailer axles).

The Payload on your truck is somewhere around 3,000#. That's a critical weight in your case to keep your eyes on. The payload includes everything you load into the truck - passengers, full tank of gas, stuff loaded in the bed, etc., plus the trailer's tongue weight (which alone might be 2,000# of those 3,000# allowed pounds).

Lastly, you may wish to consider getting a sway control and weight distribution hitch, to keep the trailer from swaying as you tow it, and to transfer some of the tongue weight onto your front axle.

That may seem like a bit much to consider, but if you do all of that, and keep your speed under control, you should be okay with that load.

John
Thanks John!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:07 PM
nzirbel
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I pull that much on a regular basis. I do have the advantage of towing fifth wheel over bumper hitch though. The only thing I think hasn't been mentioned is if you have working trailer brakes. Getting it rolling is the easy part but stopping safely is far more important.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:23 PM
G BOBKA
Senior User
Right on it's not so bad getting it moving the hard part is stopping it in a pinch.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:05 AM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by A_Flyfisher
you may wish to consider getting a sway control and weight distribution hitch, to keep the trailer from swaying as you tow it, and to transfer some of the tongue weight onto your front axle.
I absolutely agree. In fact, if you read the fine print (in the owner's manual) a weight distributing hitch is required/recommended when towing with a conventional hitch for any load heavier than 6,000 lbs. WDH make towing more enjoyable for the driver and is also easier on the load (and truck) with much less jerking etc...

Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 AM
1buzzbait
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
show-off---

Old 01-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Customz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DCSpecial
You run stock height tires or is the truck lifted?

As mentioned 10k isn't hard on the trucks. I tow 10-11k often with my 07 (stock height...stock motor).

Banks on the 6.0 will put down ~365rwhp based on the dyno of one that I saw published.
DC-

How much should we reduce the rating for lifted trucks that have the correct gear swaps? I know the increased rolling mass takes a toll but most people ignore it.

Props on your writeups in FOURWHEELER. That Teal-Brute is a good lookin' rig.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 AM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Customz
DC-

How much should we reduce the rating for lifted trucks that have the correct gear swaps? I know the increased rolling mass takes a toll but most people ignore it.

Props on your writeups in FOURWHEELER. That Teal-Brute is a good lookin' rig.
The Fourwheeler would have been Matt at Attitude Performance, he gets alot of stuff in Four Wheeler.....he's close to me, but I don't work for him (I've sold and bought stuff to/from him). Good guy to deal with though, known him for the last 5-6yrs. Been meaning to go buy his shop and see some of the cool stuff he has going on that he called me about. I don't get Four Wheeler anymore so I don't even know which project vehicles they are having him do stuff too.

Really without an EGT gauge it's hard to set a limit. I know with my 38s and 3.73s my EGTs were about 200-250* higher pre turbo when empty (never towed with that setup though).

Also, trans temp will come into play since you are working the trans harder with the larger tires and the load.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Cecil_Stringer
Senior User
The new trailer has brakes on all four tires.
However, I do not have a WDH.... any recommendations?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:56 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
With the F-250, you can get by with a fairly low-end WDH and be fine. That's what I have (don't even know the brand) with my 26' travel trailer, and I don't even have sway bars! Only one trip I wish I would have had them, but with mostly local trips to fairly close campgrounds and such, I haven't justified the need for them yet.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:26 PM
offroaddude
New User
All you need if Electric brakes. You won't have a problem pulling it you'll have a problem stopping it. And also you may have a little push around turns. A load leveler is a kick butt item. Really helps get a smooth ride.