Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

First step in 6 to 12 conversion?

Old 01-12-2008, 09:07 AM
erinaldi
Junior User
erinaldi is starting off with a positive reputation.
First step in 6 to 12 conversion?

I'm trying too think this through... I think the first step in a 6 to 12 conversion is to reverse the polarity. I'm reading how to do this but I'm not sure about the "battry" light on the dash on my 55 - is this an ammeter or a volt meter? I understand I must switch the wires on the coil. How do I reverse polarity on the voltage regulator? Am I missing anything?

Old 01-12-2008, 09:11 AM
mtflat
Post Fiend
mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
If its an ammeter with a loop on the back, just pull the wire out and insert it from the other end and reconnect.

If you have a volt meter with wires attached to studs, just remove both and switch to the opposite posts.

See if this helps - it has info for both generator and alternator.

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/articles.htm

Old 01-12-2008, 10:38 AM
rswhitmore
Senior User
rswhitmore is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Are you planning to switch polarity on the 6 volt system before the conversion? Why? The 12 volt system will require a new regulator, or have one built into the alternator, which will be negative ground. I don't think you can convert the original regulator to negative ground.

Last edited by rswhitmore; 01-12-2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: error
Old 01-13-2008, 11:35 AM
erinaldi
Junior User
erinaldi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks! I wanted to switch to Neg ground this week. I wanted to have one less thing to trouble shoot before continuing. Thanks for the info on the regulator. I wudda been up the creek on that one.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:57 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
wmjoe1953 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wmjoe1953 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't think the regulator cares. You have to polarize the regulator whenever you install a new one. The regulator will work either way, since the terminals and windings are all routed the same as if it were a 12 volt positive ground. Just remember to polarize the regulator. There is nothing worng with keeping it positive ground, as it works the exact same as a negative ground system. Just remember, that whatever is hooked up +/- just needs to be reversed. Double check every connection before hooking up the battery, and have a fire extinguisher handy. If you miss something major, you won't have to worry about it, because you may end up replacing the whole harness. Personally, I'd leave it just like it is. Nothing wrong with it, and the system works fine. My dads 55 is still pos ground, the fire truck is still pos ground, my 54 was pos ground, my tractor is pos ground. Funny thing I noticed though, I see less corrosion on pos ground systems than I do on the negative ground ones.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
bigwin56f100
Post Fiend
bigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant future
First step:

BUY A 12V BATTERY!

Kevin Bigwin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.