New to BioDiesel questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:43 AM
Ranger1F150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to BioDiesel questions

I have been reading stuff on this site, which I see you guys refference a lot.
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/gettingstarted/

I have a basic understanding on how BD is made.

I know I should invest in a appleseed processor and I will soon but first, I am going to make a few batches using the 2 liter bottle method.

Questions
1. How do you drain off the glycerin ?(out of the 2 liter bottle) I am thinking a siphon pump.
2. Instead of a 2 liter soda bottle is there a cheap container that I can buy with a bottom drain ?
3. How do you filter the WVO ?
4. I did not see anything about drying a small batch using the 2 Liter bottle method, any good drying ideas ?

Old 01-31-2008, 08:00 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The instructions that I had said to put your thumb over the mouth of the bottle as you turned the bottle over very gently. I didn't care for that, so I siphoned using fuel line from radio-controlled aircraft. as far as filtering the WVO, I used a strainer. If I were to do that again I woud probably put a coffee filter inside the strainer. Didn't see anything on drying it, only washed it several times. Google "Dr. Pepper method".

Old 02-03-2008, 12:29 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ranger1F150
I have been reading stuff on this site, which I see you guys refference a lot.
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/gettingstarted/

I have a basic understanding on how BD is made.

I know I should invest in a appleseed processor and I will soon but first, I am going to make a few batches using the 2 liter bottle method.

Questions
1. How do you drain off the glycerin ?(out of the 2 liter bottle) I am thinking a siphon pump.
2. Instead of a 2 liter soda bottle is there a cheap container that I can buy with a bottom drain ?
3. How do you filter the WVO ?
4. I did not see anything about drying a small batch using the 2 Liter bottle method, any good drying ideas ?
Not sure about your area but we get 5 gallon jugs with bottom drains from a pure water store.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Ranger1F150
Senior User
Originally Posted by caverjoe
Not sure about your area but we get 5 gallon jugs with bottom drains from a pure water store.
cool. Like this one ?

http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0173174.html

Also at the grocery store I found a margarita mix bucket with a drain in the bottom.