6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Need Help Quick

Old 01-10-2008, 08:53 PM
tippi98custom
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Quick

My truck that i use for plowing and everything else is currently incapacitated. The tranny is completely shot and wont even move an inch in any gear. Iv decided that im goign with an ATS transmission and the 5 star torque converter. Problem is iv gotten a quote for the tranny and torque converter of 4300 but the guy i talked to highly recommended that if i am plowing with it that i shoudl get the billit input shaft and the quote for that came out to 5050....is the billit input shaft worth the money or is it overkill and ill never need it. keep in mind i plow comercially with it and have a bully dog PMT that i like to have some fun with every now and then...2004 F350 PSD FX4

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-11-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:02 AM
tippi98custom
Junior User
anyone? iv gotta order the tranny today and im not sure which i should buy...

Old 01-11-2008, 07:14 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
FWIW--I paid $150 for a billet input shaft and it has to come out when they do your tranny anyway. ATS is a rip and doesn't stand behind their stuff very well. I don't know where you are but you can get a tranny from BTS that is the shiznit and his customer service is unbeatable--PERIOD. DO NOT go with ATS. You won't be happy with the crappy service you get and lack of customer service. Brians Truck Shop in Lead Hill, Arkansas. Give Brian a call and you WON"T be sorry.

Here's the link: http://www.brianstruckshop.com/

Last edited by npccpartsman; 01-11-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:10 AM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
We are located in BC and know how to make a snow plowing transmission, in fact the snow plowers are our biggest E40D and 4R100 customers. The heat that is generated by snow plowing really takes its toll on these transmissions. The transmission should be built with heat and flow in mind, not heavy towing on the hwy or drag racing. IMO you do not need the billet input shaft for snow plowing, because the truck is usually in fluid coupling mode and the road is usually slippery the load is not as hard on the shafts as it would be on a drag strip were there is more traction.

For snow plowers, the biggest thing I tell them to watch for is heat! because the convertor is always in fluid coupling mode and can build tremendous amounts of heat which will drastically reduce the life of the transmission. Put you focus on the torque convertor as the right stall speed will prevent oil sheer and keep the temps down. A deep aluminum oil pan, secondary cooler and trans temps gauge are also very useful for controlling and monitoring heat.

Another important thing on these transmission is flow, direct lubrication rather the splash lubrication, eliminate the cooler bypass tubes and even a secondary transmission filter will insure the transmission stays clean and free of contamination. Take extra care if you have had a failure and the system is full or debris. ***MAKE SURE YOU FLUSH THE COOLER REALLY GOOD***!!!!

You are going to want a transmission that will have an improved accumulator body installed as well. This will give you much better shifting characteristics but more importantly it will eliminate the pulse modulated shifting that drags the clutches out between shifts. Make sure the transmission you go with comes with a direct shift, this will give you less drag and wear on the clutches when shifting and easily triple the life of that transmission.

Look for a warranty that includes labor, labor costs on a failed transmission can prove very costly if you are left holding the bag. Clutches are inexpensive, labour, oil, towing bill, shipping costs and down time will break you!

I hope this helps your decision,

When you know the dirrence you will choose BD

Last edited by dave at BD Power; 01-11-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:37 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
I think an '04 PSD is going to have the 5R110 transmission - right? Does BTS even offer that tranny?

Bill

Old 01-11-2008, 12:28 PM
tippi98custom
Junior User
ya your right about that it is an 5r110 so does anythign change or does all of the things that Dave said still apply... And THANKS DAVE you helped out alot ill be sure to look into these things before i give them any credit card numbers

Old 01-11-2008, 12:44 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm not a tranny expert by any stretch. Just wanted to point out the model because your choice of vendors will be different than for the 4R100.

Can't speak for Dave of course, but want to point out that plowing is just one use of your truck as you said. I would think upgrading the input shaft and TC if you can would be wise.

Good luck with it,
Bill

Old 01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dave at BD Power
We are located in BC and know how to make a snow plowing transmission, in fact the snow plowers are our biggest E40D and 4R100 customers. The heat that is generated by snow plowing really takes its toll on these transmissions. The transmission should be built with heat and flow in mind, not heavy towing on the hwy or drag racing. IMO you do not need the billet input shaft for snow plowing, because the truck is usually in fluid coupling mode and the road is usually slippery the load is not as hard on the shafts as it would be on a drag strip were there is more traction.

For snow plowers, the biggest thing I tell them to watch for is heat! because the convertor is always in fluid coupling mode and can build tremendous amounts of heat which will drastically reduce the life of the transmission. Put you focus on the torque convertor as the right stall speed will prevent oil sheer and keep the temps down. A deep aluminum oil pan, secondary cooler and trans temps gauge are also very useful for controlling and monitoring heat.

Another important thing on these transmission is flow, direct lubrication rather the splash lubrication, eliminate the cooler bypass tubes and even a secondary transmission filter will insure the transmission stays clean and free of contamination. Take extra care if you have had a failure and the system is full or debris. ***MAKE SURE YOU FLUSH THE COOLER REALLY GOOD***!!!!

You are going to want a transmission that will have an improved accumulator body installed as well. This will give you much better shifting characteristics but more importantly it will eliminate the pulse modulated shifting that drags the clutches out between shifts. Make sure the transmission you go with comes with a direct shift, this will give you less drag and wear on the clutches when shifting and easily triple the life of that transmission.

Look for a warranty that includes labor, labor costs on a failed transmission can prove very costly if you are left holding the bag. Clutches are inexpensive, labour, oil, towing bill, shipping costs and down time will break you!

I hope this helps your decision,

When you know the dirrence you will choose BD
This is all well and good for the E40D & 4R100, but the OP has a 5R110, a completely different setup and already has the best cooling in the industry, bypass filtration etc. Btw i am not aware of an "improved accumulator body" for the 5R110, or the direct shift feature.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:54 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
I really am sorry, I did not realize this was a 6.0L, its hard to take advise from someone who is telling you your 6.0L has a 4R100 in it huh? LOL.

All of the above still applies except the remote filter kit, like pointed out the 5R100 already has a sufficient filter kit and cooling system and no there is no accumulator body available.

Also like mentioned, if you are using the truck for more than snow plowing and you are taking it to the track a billet shaft may not be a bad idea.

Once again I apologies for the mix up, maybe some 7.3L owners will have get a good read.

Have a great weekend guys!

Last edited by dave at BD Power; 01-11-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:57 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tippi98custom
ya your right about that it is an 5r110 so does anythign change or does all of the things that Dave said still apply... And THANKS DAVE you helped out alot ill be sure to look into these things before i give them any credit card numbers
The list Dave posted is for the E40D & 4R100. The 5R110 is a completely different animal and most of these changes are not possible with it. The 5R110 already has the best cooling in the industry, and bypass filtration.

As npccpartsman said, talk with BTS and i would also talk with Suncoast. Both are very reputable shops.

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/fo...d_product.html
www.brianstruckshop.com/

As far as the billit input shaft, since the transmission is on the bench, i would definitely consider it as your transmission still sees a high load factor due to plowing.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:04 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by blackhat620
The list Dave posted is for the E40D & 4R100. The 5R110 is a completely different animal and most of these changes are not possible with it. The 5R110 already has the best cooling in the industry, and bypass filtration.

As npccpartsman said, talk with BTS and i would also talk with Suncoast. Both are very reputable shops.

www.suncoastconverters.com/ford/ford_product.html
www.brianstruckshop.com/

As far as the billit input shaft, since the transmission is on the bench, i would definitely consider it as your transmission still sees a high load factor due to plowing.
Some of these upgrade do carry over in our 5R110 transmissions, including the labor warranty.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:16 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dave at BD Power
Some of these upgrade do carry over in our 5R110 transmissions, including the labor warranty.
Since you are touting your warranty so highly, please post a link to the 5R100 warranty, as it is not available on your website.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:38 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by blackhat620
Since you are touting your warranty so highly, please post a link to the 5R100 warranty, as it is not available on your website.

I apologize for the website, it is very sick

The new site was supposed to be ready Jan 1st but has been delayed until Feb 1st. The current site is kind of been neglected, I do apologies!

I am trying to post our transmission installation sheets in PDF file as the last page is our warranty statement but this site will not allow me to post PDF?

If you click on the link http://bd-power.com/manuals/ it will take you to the download manuals page, type in the application for a transmission and pull up the installation manual, the warranty statement is on the last page.

Hope this helps.

PS. 20 more minutes to beat me up, after that you will have to wait till Monday... LOL have a great weekend guys!

Last edited by dave at BD Power; 01-11-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
BD Engine Brake, Inc.
Limited Warranty Statement

"BD Engine Brake, Inc. (BD) warrants to the original purchaser that any parts purchased shall be free from defects in material and workmanship. BD limits the liability to the repair or replacement, at BD's option, of any warrantable product returned prepaid with a complete service history and proof of purchase. A valid proof of purchase is a dated bill of sale. Repaired or replaced product will be returned to the customer freight collect. Accepted warranty units, which have been replaced, become the sole property of BD.
A Return Material Authorization (RMA) number, obtained in advance from a BD customer service representative, must accompany product, returned prepaid by the purchaser, for warranty determination. BD will be the final authority on all warranty decisions.
This parts warranty shall terminate at the end of 12 months or 24,000 miles in service with original user, whichever comes first. Labor costs incurred by the removal and replacement of a BD Performance Converter while performing warranty work, will be covered for 12 months at authorized centers with prior approval. Until the product has been approved at the original installing dealer or at one of our distributors, the consumer should cover these costs.

NOT COVERED UNDER THIS WARRANTY

This warranty shall not apply to any unit that has been improperly stored or installed; or to misapplication, improper operation conditions, accidents, or neglect, or which has been improperly repaired or altered or otherwise mistreated by the owner or his agent.
NOTE: The fluid coupling is designed for heavy throttle acceleration and as such the TCC should be UNLOCKED in this situation. If the TCC is locked up under light acceleration, BD recommends the use of no more than 1 psi of boost for every 100 rpm of engine speed.
The nature of this product is PERFORMANCE and is designed to perform at above OEM specifications. This product was designed with this in mind and should NOT be used in RACING and/or HIGH HORSEPOWER applications and will only be considered for warranty on vehicles with a maximum of 400 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER. Using this product on vehicles with a higher rating will cause premature failure and therefore BD will not consider such claims. BD reserves the right to void the transmission warranty if a BD torque converter is not used throughout the warranty period of the transmission.
Except as set forth in our parts outline, BD disclaims any implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. BD also disclaims any liability for incidental or consequential damages including but not limited to, repair labor, rental vehicles, hotel cost or any other inconvenience cost. This warranty is in lieu of all other warranties or guaranties, either expressed or implied, and shall not extend to any consumer or to any person other than the original purchaser residing within the boundaries of the continental U.S. or Canada."

http://www.bd-power.com/pdf/manuals/...stallation.pdf

I don't see labor being covered under warranty.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:52 PM
TruckoffFord
Cross-Country
Listen to him, he knows what he is talking about!

TruckoffFord

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help Quick