OE Tires and Towing w/ Expedition EL

Old 01-10-2008, 06:13 PM
nebmike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OE Tires and Towing w/ Expedition EL

Took the plunge and traded my Excursion for an Expy EL... love it so far (but miss some of the space). In an earlier post I asked what people thought about their towing experiences with the EL, and now that I have one with the 18" wheels I've got a concern...

My rig has the heavy duty tow package and is rated at 8750lbs (subjective, I know). My concern stems from the original equipment tires (255/70-18 Pirelli STR A, P-Metric) and the fact that I've got a 7000lb 30' travel trailer to pull on those tires. With 2470lb load capacity on each corner and a rig that weighs, say, 6250, plus 500lbs of gear/people/dogs, plus 800lbs tongue weight I'm under the GVWR / GCWR / max tongue weight (w/ equilizer and sway hitch), etc... and I'm within the load carrying capability of the tires, but am I going to have a wishy-washy dangerous mess going down the road on these tires? Its not the weight I'm worried about necessarily, its how well the sidewalls will hold up to the heavy side-to-side forces. Long, tall trailers can even be a challenge for the bigger Excursion with E-load rated tires.

Thoughts... experiences?!?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by nebmike; 01-10-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:10 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's an EL? :P

Old 01-10-2008, 07:13 PM
jason8225
Freshman User
I have Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo tires that are load rated to 2535 each and have a 6000lb + trailer load and full load of people, gear, etc. in my 97 Expy on a regular basis. Never had a problem with tire (or any other) stability. I do tow with a WD hitch though, which I would highly recommend.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:19 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
The Expy EL (extended length) is no Excursion but it has some whiz bang auto stability control gizmo's that should help keep things at bay...some.

The P rated tires should likely be aired up to their max allowable on the sidewalls to help stiffen them from a 'flex' standpoint but if you feel some instability in handling due to the higher pressures...be prepared to back off in 5psi increments up to the NEEDED psi for the actual load.

If you find the 'wishy-washy' feeling won't go away even though you have things verified at a scale that your tongue load is between 10-15% and better yet at 12-13%...you may still need to look for a higher end hitch like the Hensley Arrow or new ProPride. Both use a virtual pivot point projection geometry that virtually eliminates sway. They are pricey new ($2500 for ProPride and $2800-3000 for Hensley) BUT they are much less expensive than trading your new EL for something else.

I've read good things about the EL but it is still a full independent 1/2 ton suspension with P rated tires which may need some help to 'stabilize' the setup.

Just my random thoughts here...

Good luck and take the setup to the scales to be sure what load you actually have on those axles and tires...also that will ensure that your tongue load is properly balanced as well as your WD shifting the proper load BACK to the front axle. If you have any questions on what weights you need to take...just ask...3 simple weights will give you all the info you need. Likely less than $10 total at the scale.

joe.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:53 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I can say is take the time hook it up & go for a drive. Just see what & how it feels. Heck load up the trailer, kids, wife & cruise around town out on the highway, stop & fix lunch out on your drive. Just act like your going on vacation some Saturday. Nothing like towing it to determine how it & you feel about the whole thing.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:05 PM
nebmike
Senior User
Originally Posted by kermmydog
All I can say is take the time hook it up & go for a drive. Just see what & how it feels. Heck load up the trailer, kids, wife & cruise around town out on the highway, stop & fix lunch out on your drive. Just act like your going on vacation some Saturday. Nothing like towing it to determine how it & you feel about the whole thing.
LOL I'd love to... but the POS camper is in the shop AGAIN. Burnt up a wheel bearing on x-mas vacation. Destroyed the brake, spindle, and all -- waiting on a whole new axle. Dont think that wasnt fun at minus 4 degrees at 9pm in a little mountain town that only has a convenience store. Ugh!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:21 AM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eeek... sounds fun. That reminds me... my trailer is already due for its first bearing repacking! Has it been a year already?

Old 01-11-2008, 12:39 PM
nebmike
Senior User
Originally Posted by grafekie
Eeek... sounds fun. That reminds me... my trailer is already due for its first bearing repacking! Has it been a year already?
Get it done... mine was almost exactly one year since I drove it off the dealers lot. And I even hit 'em with a grease gun about September or so.