Advice - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Advice

Old 01-09-2008, 11:05 PM
washedernie
Junior User
washedernie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Advice

i need some advice i dont know what to get a cold air intake
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ford_tr...4701C4569.aspx

or a bull guard
http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,1,0&format=0

right now my truck is stock. but i just need some opinions.
this is what my truck looks like (just a pic i found on the internet)

Old 01-09-2008, 11:06 PM
washedernie
Junior User
by the way does anybody know the actual performance of the intake.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:02 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.
If you are determined to buy one of the 2, then pick the one YOU think YOU would like having the most. It's your money and your truck and I believe in spending your money on what you want.

You didn't really ask, but......

Honestly, if it were me, I'd skip them both.

Lets assume you have $250 to spend.

If you really want a K&N filter, I would (and did) skip the kit, and just buy the filter. ABout $40 at Advance Auto.
That would leave $210 with which I would look at tinted windows, Vent Shades for the windows, mud flaps (they do save paint chipping and crap up the side of the truck) and likely have some $$ left for dinner.

But, like I said, buy what you want, and then let us know!

edit to add: I would expect no real increase in performance. I had a coimplete intake kit on my 2000 and just the filter on my '05. If there was an increase in performance, it was very slight and of no real discernable benefit.

Last edited by BrianA; 01-10-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Posting Guru
BlueOvalFitter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is there any cattle where you live?

Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 AM
washedernie
Junior User
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Is there any cattle where you live?
Are you kidding I live in Texas... there's cattle everywhere

Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 AM
washedernie
Junior User
I was askng a question by the way. and it seems to me that i could get both by just getiing a filter and not the kit. the only reason i would want the cai is because it could save me some gas. gas here right now is 3.12 give or take.

Last edited by BrianA; 01-10-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:36 PM
ToughBuiltFord
FTE Sponsor
ToughBuiltFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BrianA
If you really want a K&N filter, I would (and did) skip the kit, and just buy the filter.
Good call. Save money on the filter, then you can get a bull bar also. If you're really looking to get better MPG's, a bull bar isn't the answer. If you want to add cosmetic appeal, go with the bull bar. I think they look good: http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/grille-guards/60A1858A0A0.aspx

It's comparing apples to oranges. Just my 2cents.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by washedernie
I was askng a question by the way. and it seems to me that i could get both by just getiing a filter and not the kit. the only reason i would want the cai is because it could save me some gas. gas here right now is 3.12 give or take.
I'd not expect any improvement in mpg. That's based on 2 different 4.2 installs.
Some people like the K&N oiled media filter, some folks hate 'em. I have had good luck and like not having to buy a new filter every time it gets dirty.
But, no real benefit in performance or mpg.
let me mention, I might, and I stress might, have seen a slight increase in performance in the 2000 model. But, that would have been under "full throttle" and at mid-high rpms. Pretty much how I never drive my truck.

About the only thing that can improve MPG is driving like you have a raw egg between your foot and the gas pedal.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:11 PM
washedernie
Junior User
i wann get both but in due time. rigght now im thinking that if i save some $$ on gas it would be easier to save money for the bull bar

Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Don't waste your time and money on the brush gaurd. Mine cost $350 bucks. I haven't had to use it once.

If I were you, I'd go for the AEM high flow air intake. I don't have any experience with it though. If I were going to drop the cash for an air intake, I would try a *cold* air intake.

Other guys will know more about this. The above is just my two cents. :P

Edit: Also, GORGEOUS TRUCK. I love Ford's newer body styles.

Last edited by 6CylBill; 01-10-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:29 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
FORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud of
i'd go with the k&n filter they flow way better than stock, some hp gains but not a hole lot. better breathing and your engine should run better and alittle cooler.
i also bought a tornado thottle plate spacer helps a lot. throttle response is alot better and actually noticeable. i don't know what the hp gains are! and my gas milage
went up! started out at 21mpg, after spacer about 28mpg on a long haul. for example,
me and my wife went to the races at south sound speedway in rochester,wa. ok.
from sandy to the speedway is 120 miles, we used 1/4 of a tank of gas one way.
i got the spacer and it cut it in half, 240 miles on 1/4 tank of gas. it does work.
it works for me. do some research first. before you spend a bunch of money!
and see what may or may not work for you and your application or motor!

ford ranger

Old 01-10-2008, 11:30 PM
washedernie
Junior User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
If I were you, I'd go for the AEM high flow air intake. I don't have any experience with it though. If I were going to drop the cash for an air intake, I would try a *cold* air intake.
where is this cold air intake you speak of. IVe been looking for about a month for a cold air intake and this is the only thing ive found. maybe i should wait until KN or airaid make a cold air intake.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:32 PM
washedernie
Junior User
im going to go look for some thottle plate spacer online. any idea where to get some?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:51 PM
washedernie
Junior User
i found this "tornado throttle spacer"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GAS-F...spagenameZWDVW

does this thing actually work

Old 01-11-2008, 12:33 AM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
FORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud ofFORD RANGER has much to be proud of
summit in ohio has them! it's just a filter built by k&n in the orignal filter housing.
they make them for 4.2l v6 and the 4.6l v8 it is not cold air! i have 4.0l v6 you can get a spacer for the motor you have. it's made by tornado. mine is red in color. and it
is between throttle plate and the main intake. again summit in ohio has them for a reasonable price! i don't have an actual price but i know it's under $100.00
i've hit the rev limiter with it. never did that before! my truck will smoke'em and get
good gas milage!

ford ranger

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.