1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Want to start an old truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
You might consider using an unlit propane torch (just cracked open) to "prime" it, less explosive, no cylinder wash-down, etc. I've even seen guys run the engine purely off the torch for initial run. Can't easily do much more than idle, but that's all you want for verifying oil pressure.

Whether you use ether or propane, if it doesn't kick off pretty quickly, beware of gas/ether/propane building up in the crankcase! It can be explosive!

Old 01-10-2008, 04:14 PM
defyrftr
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
You might consider using an unlit propane torch (just cracked open) to "prime" it, less explosive, no cylinder wash-down, etc. I've even seen guys run the engine purely off the torch for initial run. Can't easily do much more than idle, but that's all you want for verifying oil pressure.

Whether you use ether or propane, if it doesn't kick off pretty quickly, beware of gas/ether/propane building up in the crankcase! It can be explosive!
Explain this procedure please....

Unlit torch in carb?

Old 01-10-2008, 04:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Propane gas is essentially pre-vaporized fuel. Put the tip of your torch into the choke area. Feed in a little propane when you start cranking. It's an old Midwest trick for winter starting. Better for the engine than ether (won't wash or detonate, and does not absorb heat vaporizing). Let it in in spurts and only while cranking. If you aren't comfortable trying it, please don't!!

You wouldn't think you'd have to say "unlit", but....

Old 01-10-2008, 04:29 PM
defyrftr
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok...Thanks for clearing up the waters. That doesn't seem too difficult.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:44 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Ross,

Great tip!! Years ago on a cold winter morning when I couldn't get my motorcycle to start (that bike always had choke problems) I scoured my whole house trying to find anything flammable to spray into the carb, until...........

......well, I ended up using almost an entire can of Right Guard spray deoderant, but I eventually got the bike to stay running enough to warm up so I could ride to work.

I would have paid big bucks for some propane that morning.....LOL

Bobby