1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

title or bill of sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:01 PM
ohiofordnut
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
title or bill of sale

hi i'd like to know if anyone has a title or a bill of sale for a 1948 f1 i bought a truck and this jacka++ said he had a title but when i got there to pick it up
there was no title he said he'd get me a bill of sale but nothing yet maybe someone can hook me up

thanks john ayers

Old 01-09-2008, 08:14 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
If he signs a bill of sale, and have it notarized, you can use it to apply for a new title. If the title is in this PO's name, it shouldn't be real difficult. It's harder to title a truck from a junkyard, than a PO....I should know, lol. Ohio may have a D.O.T. or D.M.V. website with the proper papers and instructions. Atleast MN does.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:44 PM
56f600
Senior User
Years ago I was faced with a similiar problem with a '74 MGB I bought out of town. It had been wrecked and totaled by insurance company. Then bought back from the insurance company by the owner. He then sold it to me. He didn't have the title but would mail it to me. Riiiight. When I went to change the ownership papers with no title I was told I need a bill of sale. Contact P.O. He will send one to me. Riiight. I ended up having a buddy write me out a bill of sale and sign the P.O. name. Not legal, not right. BUT IT WORKED. Not suggesting a life of crime, but thats how it was done back in the day.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a title and VIN tag from a 49 F1, but it was title as a 57 for some strange reason. Would be an easy fix when re-registering. You just need to explain and decode the VIN at the motor vehicle office.

My 52 Panel was registered as a 53 when I bought it. I did the same as described above and got it re-titled as a 52 model year.

Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks, Ilya

Old 01-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know how it is in Ohio, but in Oklahoma now it is hard to title an out of state old vehicle. I just went thru this on a 40 Ford I bought. I had the Mo title, last signed in 1955, but not notarized. The tag agent would not accept it as a good title. SO, I went to Broadway Title. www.broadwaytitle.com For $165.00 they sent me a notarized bill of sale that I took to my tag agent and had no problem gettiing a new title in my name. Broadway will require you to send number off of frame for them to research, and if it comes up clean they will make you happy. You won't pay untill they send you the bill of sale. Joe

Old 01-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

I don't know how it is in Ohio, but in Oklahoma now it is hard to title an out of state old vehicle. I just went thru this on a 40 Ford I bought. I had the Mo title, last signed in 1955, but not notarized. The tag agent would not accept it as a good title. SO, I went to Broadway Title. www.broadwaytitle.com For $165.00 they sent me a notarized bill of sale that I took to my tag agent and had no problem gettiing a new title in my name. Broadway will require you to send number off of frame for them to research, and if it comes up clean they will make you happy. You won't pay untill they send you the bill of sale. Joe

Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Sorry about that, have no idea why that happened. Joe

Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 AM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
When I bought my truck initially I had bought it as parts and never got a title or bill of sale. Through a member on here, I was able to pick up a clear title/glovebox tag, and had no problem at all getting the title in my name.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 PM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
I'm having this problem to. I bought my truck from a fella that only speaks spanish. I had a man with me to talk to him when I bought the truck. I made payments on the truck to pay it off. My last payment came back. He moved, I can't find him, I've tried for the last 3 months, I wrote up a labor bill on it for everything that has been done to the truck, and gave it to a friend who has a auto repair shop and he is filing a labor lien against the truck (title 42) to get me a title. I didn't know what else to do. Is it right? I don't know. But it keeps me from having to start over on another truck.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:06 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Originally Posted by RUSTY50F1
Is it right? I don't know. But it keeps me from having to start over on another truck.
Yeah, it's right, as you've made your payments as contracted, in my book. BUT, I would set aside the last payment, and if you ever can find him, or run into him, pay him the final payment. That's the right thing to do, also...

My opinion is that if it's the right thing, and just the bureaucracy that is getting in the way, then whatever it takes...how's that saying go? "Sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness that ask permission."?

30 years ago I lost a pristine ($40,000 car today) Austin Healey 3000, because I couldn't get clear title. Today with the internet, etc, I could have kept it, instead of taking "parts car" price for it.

R

Old 01-10-2008, 01:16 PM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
I plan on paying him if I ever see him again. But with the new Laws they passed about being legal in the US he might have moved back to Old Mexico, or been deported. Who knows.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:24 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
If so, you got one payment off, for all the hassles!!

Move on! Good luck with your truck!!

R

Old 01-10-2008, 08:19 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RUSTY50F1
I'm having this problem to. I bought my truck from a fella that only speaks spanish. I had a man with me to talk to him when I bought the truck. I made payments on the truck to pay it off. My last payment came back. He moved, I can't find him, I've tried for the last 3 months, I wrote up a labor bill on it for everything that has been done to the truck, and gave it to a friend who has a auto repair shop and he is filing a labor lien against the truck (title 42) to get me a title. I didn't know what else to do. Is it right? I don't know. But it keeps me from having to start over on another truck.
I had a similar problem on my 55.. I had the title, but oops, the seller didn't sign it, back in 2000. He is no where to be found now.. Tax Office had me send him the title and instructions, at his old address, certified, return receipt, and it came back of course.. the Bill of sale, and the date stamp on the outside was enough for the them..

On my 54, I used broadway title to get a registerable registration and bill of sale. That worked ok as well.. (just)..

Sam

Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before you go too far

It is illeagle to obtain a Title, Bill of Sale or other Convaience that is not spicifically for the vehicle in question.

Since the upsurge of Yuppies buying custom built "Classic" vehicles it is now harder then ever to registar a vehicle then ever and Ohio has always been a pain in the postieor.

Quick Reply: title or bill of sale