No fuel in 460

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:39 AM
adrianlovessnow
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No fuel in 460

Hello all, I am in need of your advice. On my 1990 F-350 460 5sp. I was driving home from work yesterday and it just quit a block from my house. I was like switch was fliped and it was off. I pulled it home with my wifes mini van none the less kinda embarassing. Anyway, after looking at it last night the fuel pumps will cycle on when the key is turned on. I have spark and when I pull the plugs they are dry. That tells me I have no fuel. How could it just stop the fuel flow? I plan on chekcing the fuel pressure on the rail today. Any suggestions as what to do next?
Thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Turbokid15
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter clogged maybe a leak somewhere.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd go with a clogged fuel filter but usually it kind of stumbles and chugs for awhile before it just dies.

I assume you have dual tanks. Perhaps the wiring is faulty.

On my 94 F250, I was playing around behind the dash and when I put it back the engine would not start. What had happened is that the wiring and pins on the back of the switch got bent and shorted out. Not saying your switch is shorted, but the sudden stop might mean the wiring from the switch to where ever it goes is faulty.

Or, maybe your crash switch fuel shut off got tripped and shut things down. Look in the manual on how to reset it, but I think it is under the side kick board on the passenger foot well.

I would start with the crash switch fuel shutoff since that is easy and free to reset. Next maybe fuel filter if it has been a long time it needs to be replaced anyway. Finally go thru the wiring. It is much easier with a diagram. I would start with the tank switch in the dash, maybe the wires shook loose over time.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 01-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Measure the pressure in the fuel rail.