Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Any Nebraska mudboggers,mudraggers,truck pullers online

Old 02-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight Dana 60 fronts are hard to come by and expensive. I was thinkin if you jacked up a truck about 6 inchs you could make some bracketry to basically bolt that TTB solid and just don't hook it to the front crossmember anymore, just make yourself some radius arms/ladder bars for the front. There's plenty around to experiment with b/c nobody wants em.

I think about building a diesel, but everybody has a cummins and there's a reason for that, casper did good with the duramax last year, but I bet that truck won't hold together very long, lol. Somebody needs to build a powerstroke to compete, but it would cost way to much to get that kinda HP outta of it, then it prolly wouldn't hold together. I was reading the rules though, engine make must match body of truck, find us an old IH pickup and we'll throw a 466IH pulling motor in there, lol. You'd have to create a pretty stout drivetrain though.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 AM
chris1066
Senior User
My TTB isn't worth messing with. Its only a Dana 44 and I've broke to many lockouts and axles already. On one of the other threads sombody found a 60 in Kansas for $750. I would have drove down and got it for that much.

On the one of the diesel forums someone claimed to have 400hp from a 6.9L not enough for the power pullers. But it would be fun in the street classes.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
I think it would be best to start with about a 94 7.3 IDI, somebody needs to find a bigger injection pump off another V-8 diesel motor, like a CAT or something and get it timed right in there, plus get it to fit in there. Then get some big injectors and lines, max the turbo to specs for the class, then grind it out on the inside to get a bigger impeller and such in it. Then you'd have to get a custom ground cam, balence the rotating assembly so you could be around 5 or 6 grand. I don't know, it would have to be done custom b/c I really haven't seen or heard of anyone going all out on one of those motors, I've run across some in hot magizines and such, but it was used as a drag pickup and they were excited to pull off a 12. But if you did do all that stuff I don't know how long the heads would stay on, I guess it depends how much boost you end up with. Or else use a 00 DI 7.3, do all the mechanical mods you can and then find somebody to build a PCM for all out pulling.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:46 AM
chris1066
Senior User
According to the IDI forums here the 6.9L is a better engine. I think a hypermax turbo kit with a 3LM turbo would do the trick. Look what it did for my 1066. I would have to find somone to build me a 4 roller DB pump and it would all still look stock. I would send the cam to Berry cam and have it ground. Your dad would have to cut some valve reliefs in the pistons.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 AM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
Yeah I think it all kinda comes down to that injection pump, it's kinda the limiter on everything when it comes to a V-8 diesel, they just aren't out there like they are for 6cyl. If you could find someone to build one that would be great, but I wonder how much they'd charge you by the time they were done?

Has anyone ever tried to max out the displacement on a 6.9 or 7.3?

Old 02-18-2008, 06:47 PM
SilverHighboy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Redneck-Cowboy
Yeah I think it all kinda comes down to that injection pump, it's kinda the limiter on everything when it comes to a V-8 diesel, they just aren't out there like they are for 6cyl. If you could find someone to build one that would be great, but I wonder how much they'd charge you by the time they were done?

Has anyone ever tried to max out the displacement on a 6.9 or 7.3?
I have heard of some people using 2 4bt P pumps off of the 4 cyl cummins motors there was some 4 sale on ebay a couple of weeks ago for about 500 a pop. I know it wouldn't look stock but if you could get it to work you might have some fun.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:00 PM
chris1066
Senior User
IH used a 8 cylinder P pumo on the 1468 and 1568 tractors. I think that would have the most potentional.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
O wow, I didn't even think about the 68 series, does anybody make a reman pump for those, the tractors are hard enough to find.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:33 PM
chris1066
Senior User
Trucks also used the DV 550 engine our grain truck has one.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:01 PM
fordnut forever
Postmaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RjxP...eature=related get a kick out of this ford and what its pulling

Old 02-18-2008, 11:00 PM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple of things. If you want HP from a ford Diesel then you need to go for a 7.3 or a 6.0. It will cost you a ton. Could you get to the level of the NPPA??? I would guess so. I am not entirely sure how much HP Jeff, Kevin, and Bryan are pushing but I would think you could get there if you had the money and knowledge.

Secondly, if you build a motor for a class and join the club and make some hooks and then they change the CID, I would venture to guess that you would be grand-fathered in. Once you blow that motor or build a new one it would need to fit the specs of the current rules.

Personally I do not get why many people would want go through the hassel to build a motor and truck just to pull local pulls. It is not cheap anyway you look at it. To build a serious motor you will need at least 10K and I know several with way more then that. I also do not understand the facination with doing the drivetrain with light duty gear. If rules allow then build it once and do it right. Build to the max.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:08 PM
chris1066
Senior User
I would'nt want to compete with that old of a truck in the NPPA. If I wanted to compete with my neghbors I would keep going with my Dodge, it's a lot closer to that level and alot easier and cheaper to get there.

I would like to make the 6.9L run hard just to prove it could be done. It would also be somthing different instead of all Dodge Cummins, Duramaxs and the ocassional Powerstroke.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:07 AM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who are your neighbors?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 PM
chris1066
Senior User
Jeff, Kevin, Brian, and Kaspar isn't to far away either. Theres alson Hajek he's only a half mile away.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:50 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well just an update for you guys again. Keraney is a no go as far as truck pulling is concerned. I heard today that its been called off. Not sure about the tractors though. I no Broken Bow had a big pull off trucks this last weekend. But as usual i missed it. Seems like Lincoln had a hot rod truck pullyear back in the winter. Not sure when though or if its still going.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Nebraska mudboggers,mudraggers,truck pullers online